AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started on these forums a few weeks ago. I have been interested in getting a big screen for years. I held off on wasting my money on a rear projection unit or a 36" TV and plasma is still way too expensive. I wont put any of those systems down because they are all great in their own ways. They are much better than the TV's my dad grew up with in the 50's. :)

Anyways, y'all all helped me to decide on getting a CRT PJ. I bought a used 1270Q for $405 with remote and it should be here on monday.

Then I saw a $15,000 DLP PJ at Ultimate Electronics and the picture looked pretty dang good.

So I started looking more into LCD and DLP projectors.

Last night I decided to buy a Viewsonic PJ500. 1200 Lumens, 300:1 contrast, HDTV, 4000 hour lamp life (not shabby for LCD) etc. I paid $800 refurbished with a new bulb, remote etc.

I really did this as an experiment because I have never seen a well tuned CRT in action so I dont know what to compare anything to. Especially not in a home theater environment.

I may keep both... One for my kids to play on and watch TV. The other for ME to watch movies and crank up my sound system Im piecing together. Or I may sell one. We'll see what happens.

I decided it is best for me to make a decision based on my own opinions, and not the opinions of everyone on these forums.

I will post my findings in a new thread or maybe even a web site when everything gets in and I start my comparisons.

Im rambling now, but Im curious if anyone else has ever done side by side comparisons. I havent been able to find anything posted. I would like to SEE the difference. Is there a link to a good page which actually shoes the differences?

Heck, I havent even seen any pictures of a good CRT screen shot at all. Im just trusting everyone here knows what they are talking about.

If this has already been done, I may not post my findings. But if it hasnt, Ill set something up and let people give me suggestions to what they want to see screen shots of, etc. and I will post my findings. A sort of "virtual" experiment for those who are interested.

Dunno, maybe the whole idea is silly :)

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Well, we all know what your going to expect or shouldl expect.

I was at UE last week and they had A BUGS LIFE playing in the theater. While it wasnt too bad for me a CRT guy to say the SHARPVISION looked ko it still didnt compair to a CRT PJ pumping out this movie. That was at the location at Dessert Ridge, North Scottsdale.

The viewsonic PJ is a small unit I beleive and not too bad for its specs compaired to DLP units but there is still much better ones out there. Id like to see what that one can do just for the heck of it as I had it speced in a system a year ago myself.

The SONY for 400.00 WOW what a buy. The 12er's are awsome PJ's and if it has clean tubes will amaze you when its set up and fully coverged. I hear there a bit noisy but so they say the NEC's and I didnt think they were too bad myself.

Let us know what you decide, it will be interesting to see what you think and why.

·
Registered
65 Posts
CRTs are not for the unexperienced, for anyone that has been into CRTs and has checked out LCDs they are laughable compared to the CRT projectors. LCDs are great for computer displays. They are of no use in the home for displaying high quality video. LCDs are used for large screens and sitting back a good distance so you don't see the screen door effect. The contrast is poor, brightness is good. Setting up a CRT any format is more ART than science, the people that have spent many years setting up the different types of CRTs know what I am talking about. You can't do it with a DVD or any test equipment, and you can't be colorblind. You would be surprised how many people have weak red in their vision. So here lies the problem IMO very few of the CRTs setups direct view RPTs or FPTs are really displaying to there capability's. Projectors are for those who want the large screen experience. IMO direct view CRT will give you the best picture hands down. For HDTV SONY 34" 16:9, new 910 models coming out this summer with a very fine pitch CRT. Next Plasma, for HDTV this will be the future. With large screen projectors come bigger challenges. It all depends on how critical you are. The 1270 you are getting will be good for DVDs with progressive scan, if the CRTs are not weak or burned, this is another problem how will you know and how will you set it up?? Good Luck you will need it.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'll bet you'll find the Viewsonic is brighter and a bit sharper, and as everyone has said, as long as the tubes in the 1270 are reasonable, you'll find the overall slightly softer image much easier to watch from the 1270.

It will be interesting for you to post back with your comments.

If you need the manuals for the 1270, www.crtcinema.com has them online in the downloads section.

Curt

·
Registered
65 Posts
While it is true that anyone one can setup the geometry and convergence the art comes in to the tube biases and the tracking, you are obviously are not in the experienced group.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got someone from the forums who is going to help me do the setup. I'll play around with my myself first to see what I can do. Then I'll call in the expert to tweak it and show me what I did wrong! Also, they can help me mount this 140lb beast :)

It will be a good learning experience.

I downloaded the 1270 manual. I also downloaded a 1270 convergence / overhaul manual from ??? (cant remember who made it, but found it in a thread somewhere here) and it shows how to start replacing spacers, etc. I dont think Ill mess with that one yet. Although it seems to make sense. It gets into fine focusing we cant do without making some hardware adjustments, etc.

BUT, this is the side of it I want to learn, so Ill probably do it before I mount the whole thing.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Thanks Curt for the newbie doc you made up.

I look forward to becoming a CRT junkie.

I'll fill you in as everything gets here and I start unboxing it...

John

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Actually, once these LCD's are defocused to correct their screen door problem, they don't look to me to be as sharp as a well focused CRT.

Brighter, yes, everything else...I suppose we'll hear from John in a few days about that!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, problem number one...

Projector arrives. It looks very clean.

I powered it up, looked inside the CRTs, they look great. Not completely sure what Im looking at but they are bright and the over all unit looks very bright and very clean. No scratches at all on the OUTISIDE.

OK, now I take the unit in my home and lay it on the carpet VERY GENTLY. No, I didnt see any big static electric sparks or anything like that.

Power it up and it shuts down after 2 sec. Try again. Same thing. Try a new outlet, same thing...

So where do I go from here? I checked the 2 fans on top of the unoit and they start up. It looks extremely clean inside the unit. I cant see a spec of dust with the top off.

But there has to be some basic things I can check WITHOUT any type of volt meters, etc.

Any ideas anyone? Any main resetting I could try? ANything?

Feeling like a schmuck right now :)

John

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I moved problem number one to a new thread. I would like to stick to the comparison in this thread (once I get this runnning)...

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
A forum member is helping me as well. At his place he had a Barco 801 set up with a bit of wear on the tubes, and the image was a bit fuzzy. He also had a Barco LCD pj, not sure what the model was. From an A-B perspective, the CRT while a bit fuzzy at times, and the color was off, still outdid the LCD pj easily. Digital pjs "look" digital, I guess it's the screendoor, but CRT has a much more natural feel to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, heres my crappy story...

I wont be comparing the 2 projectors any time soon..

Im either returning the 1270Q or dumping it for cheap somewhere.\\\\

Seems it has a bad board in it. I can get it to run if I leave the case off and the board raised on its hinges. But then the inputs dont work. I had an electrician come over and we figured the PCB is bad. If you flex it, it works sometimes. And there are no bad connections. It looks like its in the board itself.

Anyways, I will get my money back.

But now I am projectorless again! MY PJ500 is shipping on monday. I guess that will become my home theater for awhile.

This was supposed to be a fun good first experience. Instead, it has really been a drag.

I have come to a conclusions for myself...

The 1270Q is just too big.

Is there anything out there comparable which is lighter and smaller?

Once I move into my garage, any projector will work, but Im on a 6 month plan. I may just use the PJ500 until I move, unless there is something smaller...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
aztechjohn

I fixed a CRT board that was having the same problem. What I did was turn out the lights to get it real dark and then I flexed the board and Wala, I could see sparks where the bad solder joint was. I resoldered it and it was done. I would not give up yet, sounds like an easy fix.

Deron.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there,

I am not sure if this will help or not. But I experieced the problem you are having and the board was touching the metal underneath it and shorting itself out. Try getting a small piece of plastic and insert between the board and the metal to prop the board up a littler higher and see if that works.

Take care.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think thats the problem, because it happens if I flex the board, even when the board is in the UP position.

Actually, I did try the small piece of plastic and that didnt fix it. A CD case was just the right size.

Another thing that occurs... when the board is flxed, it changes the scren ratio size. I think thats what's happening, because it goes from small to large and then back again.

Everything is so sporatic it's hard to tell what is actually going on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also noticed someone had spliced a vide connector into the video output. Now, then when I tried to plaug in a device through the svide, it would never detect it no matter what input I used.

There was literally an RCA cable they spliced in and then had it running out of the back of the PJ. They soldered in a load capacitor or something like that into the wiring.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RODDMOD
CRTs are not for the unexperienced,
i'm not experienced and i've got one of the best pictures i've ever seen. thanks to a little help from pros like mike parker.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Mr. Bond is right, CRT's require more setup, but there are many experts out there able to dial in an excellent image. Mike Parker is certainly one of them.

Ted

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If anoyone wants to buy this from me, please let me know. You are probably all correct and this is an easy fix. But Im not getting it. Ive tried.

As far as I know, everything else looks good.

I am going to search for a new CRT after I get my money back.

Is there anyting else out there in the 1270Q price range that is maybe smaller????

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
You got a good price on the 1270Q. Most CRT PJ's are going to be more. Having said that, since your looking for something smaller, give the 1031Q a look. One of the smallest CRT's out there, fairly easy setup, and a good one can be found for less than $500. Most everything you need to know about it can be found on this forum and this site:

http://www.eboyztoyz.net/1031q/pages...tup_Guide.html

Jawhn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.