AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, today has been an interesting day going from store to internet to store to internet.

First stop was at Sears where the salesman was trashing DLP because it has moving parts and saying that LCD produces much better picture and colors and that LCD is outselling DLP 100 to 1 right now.

Then I went to Best buy and was looking around a little bit and didn't see anything that impressed me too much but I was trying to compare LCD and DLP side by side. Here I noticed that when the camera is panning on an image the DLP can keep up much better than the LCD's can and the LCD's start looking choppy. But I read some review recently about someone saying that his DLP in "Lord of the Rings II" started crapping out.

Anyway, then I went off to Sound Advice (tweeter) and there I saw a Mitsu 62725 which looked great especially for the price (right at $3,000). I went online and looked up that model and saw that it was about the same price online which made me really happy. Then I came across a posting on this forum trashing it for having a "Bright Spot" I hear that this has been resolved, but I am still a little reluctant to buy the thing since it may not have a problem now but could develop one in the future.

So...here is my question for anyone who has bought a tv in the 60-61-62 range recently or someone who is always keeping up on this stuff. If you had to buy a TV for around $3,000 what would you get? And that price if for a retail store, not any online crap without warranty.

...oh yeah, the reason I called this post "Crunch Time" is because football season is my deadline for buying my new TV.

Thanks,

~Eric

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF
Alright, today has been an interesting day going from store to internet to store to internet.

First stop was at Sears where the salesman was trashing DLP because it has moving parts and saying that LCD produces much better picture and colors and that LCD is outselling DLP 100 to 1 right now.

Then I went to Best buy and was looking around a little bit and didn't see anything that impressed me too much but I was trying to compare LCD and DLP side by side. Here I noticed that when the camera is panning on an image the DLP can keep up much better than the LCD's can and the LCD's start looking choppy. But I read some review recently about someone saying that his DLP in "Lord of the Rings II" started crapping out.

Anyway, then I went off to Sound Advice (tweeter) and there I saw a Mitsu 62725 which looked great especially for the price (right at $3,000). I went online and looked up that model and saw that it was about the same price online which made me really happy. Then I came across a posting on this forum trashing it for having a "Bright Spot" I hear that this has been resolved, but I am still a little reluctant to buy the thing since it may not have a problem now but could develop one in the future.

So...here is my question for anyone who has bought a tv in the 60-61-62 range recently or someone who is always keeping up on this stuff. If you had to buy a TV for around $3,000 what would you get? And that price if for a retail store, not any online crap without warranty.

...oh yeah, the reason I called this post "Crunch Time" is because football season is my deadline for buying my new TV.

Thanks,

~Eric
No question about it, the Samsung 6168 1080p DLP via the AVS / TVA powerbuy

with 30 day return privelages and full Samsung warranty:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5699561

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
No question about it, the Samsung 6168 1080p DLP via the AVS / TVA powerbuy

with 30 day return privelages and full Samsung warranty:

Nah...there is no way I'd buy something of that price online. I want a 3 or 5 year service package on it. Especially on any kind of DLP that has fast moving parts. It may be fine now but give it a few years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many of the online stores offer 3-5 years service packages. Also, you will always have the warranty plus doubled up to two years if you purchase with a credit card. I am going to purchase a new DLP or LCD within the next week or two and even considering the new Mits 73" 1080p model and I would still purchase online after doing months of research on this forum and ratings of online vendors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.