AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting my new LT150, and need to figure out how to switch video to all of my equipment. Here is the list:

LT150

perm-wall 80x60 screen matte

acurus act 3 pre/pro (only swiches composite and S-video)

ADA-ptm-6150 amp

Sony 860 dvd changer

Sony PSII

some sort of HD Direct TV box not sure with one yet,recomendations?

Pronto 2000

My problem is that the acurus Act 3 is good enough of a audio pre/pro, but I have to have something in place to switch the DVD,PSII,and DBS to the LT150, all by Pronto control. (a 5 yr. old needs to be able to run this)

Is this possible? any help will be appreciated, as this is my first HT setup. THANKS

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
what connections does the DBS have as an output? If it is component, you can get a component switcher. Just ensure that it has some means of IR control. If your DBS has an RGBHV (VGA) output then you can use a VGA switcher. Just get adaptor cables to connect the Component signals (R-Y, B-Y, Y) and the projector will figure out if it is seeing RGB or YRB. On the Adaptor cables, just hook the Y R B to the G R B connectors.

This should work fine. I tested it and if you have a mixed RGB YRB switch, then you will see about an 8 second delay going from RGB to YRB for the image to look proper. THen a 3 second delay going in the other direction. THis is normal. the Projector just takes time to identify and lock onto the image.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
As far as the IR part of the switcher, if you can't find a switcher with IR direct control, there are alot of boxes that change IR to RS-232 and that should do you fine. Try Xantech.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sure, this is possible. However, the picture quality may not be "optimal". You could run a component video cable (RGBVH or YPrPb) from the HD set top box (STB) to the component input on the projector and use S-Video, through the receiver, for the other two. Then the pronto macro could switch the projector inputs as well as the receiver inputs.

For HD STB recommendations, I would think the HDTV Hardware forum would be the place to look and ask. I'm not up on the current receivers but maybe one of them does video switching, de-interlacing and upconversion for external components?? This would allow you to route all video through the STB and have a single connection to the projector.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hi all,

I'm hoping to continue this thread for the less HT adept of us.

I am only going to have my XGA, LCD projector hooked up with three, 50' component RCA cables. I will be using it for DVDs and regular old VCR/cable coming out of my VCR (currently no S-Video but I have heard that a single RCA cable will have the same resolution as S-Video - can anybody dispute this?)

My question is, will an RCA Video Source Selector be a good choice to switch back and forth between VCR and DVD, or will it be the "weak" link in my set-up and comprimise picture quality?

here is info on the switch: http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,,PI846,00.html

They come up on Ebay for $25-35 new, which I can justify. If it will kill the picture, I probably will just manually switch the single RCA cable from the DVD to the VCR (I know, this wears the connectors and inputs, but I can't see spending >$100 for the couple times per month I'll be watching DVDs.)

thank you in advance! I know these are very basic questions and I appreciate the help!

Kurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.