AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many here have seen the YouTube videos but does anyone here actually own one?
I've talked to Kenneth a view times but dances around a few questions.
What is the ACTUAL gain of this screen?
Is this screen angular reflective as I ONLY see projector low to the screen.
Will it work for shelf mounted projector center of the screen?
Sadly no samples to test.
Would love to hear from ACTUAL owners!

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I had never heard of it. I just went to their website. I see a lot of amateur videos, but not a lot of good info.

It looks like they are using some coating on blackout cloth. In one video, the gain doesn't look that high compared to a white board.

I do have a bone of contention with the term "light fusion". I may not be MM's biggest buddy, but that is a blatant ripoff of his terminology. I realize MM doesn't have the term trademarked, but I have never seen the term used anywhere but here. Someone there is obviously a member here. If they see this, then they should endeavor to change the name.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,755 Posts
The owner of the site and author of the youtube videos is one of the most maligned and misleading people out there. He's not a AVS member...he's been banned for life...2x under different names for blatantly promoting products and linking to youtube videos that are actually sales conduits. He has no interest in supporting AVS, only using it.

And yes all his paints are rip offs. Not because they are copies as much as they are falsely presented. They underperform. Plain and simple...the videos show how the presentations are slanted to show results that cannot be achieved elsewhere.

Light Fusion is part if a registered Patent...the use of the term by the individual is simply another example of how he tries to play off on popular applications, and use terms as Keywords he knows will get search results.

It's been done before by others who did so to draw traffic to a particular site, going so far as to purposefully label threads so to generate hits.

AVS is the home to, and the origin of virtually every advance that's been made in DIY screen Making. It is the world's largest, most frequented A/V Forum. People around the world read and get ideas from it....so things will happen. Ideas will bloom, and creative juices start flowing. There is nothing wrong with that...it's a good thing to have happen.
It's how they happen that weighs in on the validity and honesty of the mimics. In the case at hand, everything that needs to be said is said by the individual's actions.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
It would be nice to hear from any current users, particularly anyone with some ability to make side-by-side comparisons to anything..even just white paper for a rough gain reference.

The owner of the site and author of the youtube videos is one of the most maligned and misleading people out there. He's not a AVS member...he's been banned for life...2x under different names for blatantly promoting products and linking to youtube videos that are actually sales conduits. He has no interest in supporting AVS, only using it.

And yes all his paints are rip offs. Not because they are copies as much as they are falsely presented. They underperform. Plain and simple...the videos show how the presentations are slanted to show results that cannot be achieved elsewhere.

Light Fusion is part if a registered Patent...the use of the term by the individual is simply another example of how he tries to play off on popular applications, and use terms as Keywords he knows will get search results.

It's been done before by others who did so to draw traffic to a particular site, going so far as to purposefully label threads so to generate hits.

AVS is the home to, and the origin of virtually every advance that's been made in DIY screen Making. It is the world's largest, most frequented A/V Forum. People around the world read and get ideas from it....so things will happen. Ideas will bloom, and creative juices start flowing. There is nothing wrong with that...it's a good thing to have happen.
It's how they happen that weighs in on the validity and honesty of the mimics. In the case at hand, everything that needs to be said is said by the individual's actions.
Mississippi's comments come across a bit hypocritical, all things considered..but he makes some good points.

I do however believe some of the more recent DigitalCrystal paints should be decently effective (albeit expensive for what they offer), but it doesn't seem like the maker behind them really knows much about how or why they work, let alone the important specs that most screen buyers would usually want to know.

Besides there being a good amount of folks on avs capable of doing side-by-side comparisons, some of the hometheatershack forum crew performs professional measurement of the entire gain slope as well as color shade and neutrality..above and beyond what many manufacturers provide.
If anyone is able to acquire a DigCry sample or screen and is willing to ship it around, those might be good sources of visual and measured information.

Then again, anyone selling paint who isn't willing to provide samples (not sure if DigCry does or doesn't sell a small sample) might not worth buying price-inflated paint from.

I've tried commenting on a few of his YouTube videos to let users know that posting their results here on AVS is perfectly okay and could even help potential buyers as well as the seller himself, but it doesn't look like anyone made their way over yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm new here and you already beat me to the question. I was going to ask about him/ product.
I'm not a guru of the projector world at all. But I just picked up used 5010 for a decent price. So I've been looking and reading, and watching all type of stuff on screens/paints.
Now with that said, I've seen his videos. To me as a Noob his video seem convincing for what they are cheap on the fly videos with usually cheap projectors and crappie backgrounds. So my question is, is it all smoke and mirrors. Can I get the same performance out of a less expensive silver ticket screen or some home depot with pearl or glass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,755 Posts
Ftoast,

Only you would accuse someone who has supported AVS for so many years, who is a Gold Club Member, and who never attempted to promote and sell any application until I was "Asked" to become a Sponsor, of being hypocritical.

You have willfully overlooked the transgressions of people who flaunt AVS rules, giving them undeserved credence and credibility. You ignore the many posted "Member reviews" of the products involved...all bad to extreme. I really think you do it out of spite, not for any real belief in the products or people.

Put another way...you KNOW that the individual involved has been Banned...and his products and presence of such, along with willingly promoting and encouraging talk about same is essentially a slap in the face of the Forum Owners and thier decision etc you persist. Yet you profess to support AVS.

Hypocritical is as hypocritical does.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Ftoast,

Only you would accuse someone who has supported AVS for so many years, who is a Gold Club Member, and who never attempted to promote and sell any application until I was "Asked" to become a Sponsor, of being hypocritical.

You have willfully overlooked the transgressions of people who flaunt AVS rules, giving them undeserved credence and credibility. You ignore the many posted "Member reviews" of the products involved...all bad to extreme. I really think you do it out of spite, not for any real belief in the products or people.

Put another way...you KNOW that the individual involved has been Banned...and his products and presence of such, along with willingly promoting and encouraging talk about same is essentially a slap in the face of the Forum Owners and thier decision etc you persist. Yet you profess to support AVS.

Hypocritical is as hypocritical does.
MM, you've used AVS as a platform to mention your paid products and leave links for a decade before becoming a proper sponsor and even sponsors aren't normally supposed to directly push their own product outside of their vendor section. This same self-advertising is what got the DigCry guy in trouble..pot meet kettle.

As for mentioning his paints, we'll have to disagree. I think there's plenty of reason to allow and encourage members here and elsewhere to discuss, measure and compare his paints regardless of his ban. It's still a theater product and people should still be allowed access to more information about it, especially free from the seller's bias if possible.

alb killjoy, I believe a lot of what the videos show is the natural advantage you'll find with most screens/surfaces when a bright projector is used (or a dimmer one with a small enough image) along with the naturally small dynamic range of most any camera.
Photos and especially videos tend to exaggerate performance in the screen's favor most of the time (helping blacks appear deeper and brights brighter), regardless of whether the camera is cheap or expensive.

That said, his more current paints DO have some positive properties that can be seen in some of the videos, such as the naturally wider viewing-cone of his lighter grey mixes compared to the darker-colored and more aggressive manufacturer ALR samples sometimes shown. It's a trade-off where you choose if you prefer a screen that's brighter off-axis or prefer a screen that's able to fight more light and from more angles, but that's the same choice you make with any screen or paint.

I think most would be better off buying and mixing their own DIY paint like BlackWidow or James' GreyPearl or MississippiMan's SilverFire or a simple 2part mix like I've been playing with, but getting more precise information about the DigitalCrystal paints can't hurt anyone.
It leads to better informed choices.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,755 Posts
MM, you've used AVS as a platform to mention your paid products and leave links for a decade before becoming a proper sponsor and even sponsors aren't normally supposed to directly push their own product outside of their vendor section. This same self-advertising is what got the DigCry guy in trouble..pot meet kettle.
That Sir, is a complete fabrication, and is wholly unsupported by any instance you could find. Your stating such amounts to being pure innuendo, and is exactly the type of behavior others attempted, were found to be false, and they were rebuked for pursuing.

While I have used my own projects to illustrate examples of my use of "Silver Fire" a great many times in the past, they always pertained to "Silver Fire" and at no time did I ever link* to to promote to individuals any of my "off-line" products. Your only a recent member, (2013) and it's doubtful you speak from any knowledge except what you've had supplied to you by others...and unless you want to validate having researched your claim by pointing to direct, "decade old" examples of the same type of flagrant abuse of the individual at hand (who is NOT a Sponsor or Advertiser) you need to desist from making such claims and accusations.

*My AVS Profile does contain a Website Link, and has for many years, but that itself has never been a violation of AVS rules. That is why the Owners put that ability in one's profile.

As you always do, you attempt to turn attention away from your own failings by denigrating others, while ignoring and promoting the transgressions of others you should be pursuing. There is nothing special at all about the youtube videos, they are only a inundation of so-so basic examples of paint applications that have been copied off this Forum, and overpriced to "cash grab" from unwary or easily impressed newcomers who are the most likely to fall for that kind of over exposed hyperbole.

I think most would be better off buying and mixing their own DIY paint like BlackWidow or James' GreyPearl or MississippiMan's SilverFire or a simple 2part mix like I've been playing with, but getting more precise information about the DigitalCrystal paints can't hurt anyone.
It leads to better informed choices.
Only the above even vaguely attempts to point to any truths, and even then you do people a disservice by ignoring all the previously poor references posted about DigitalCrystal. You have no answer to that, nor would you even deem to respond, because such would deflate your entire line of reasoning.

Lastly, everything I post is in keeping with carefully observed Forum rules. I have repeatedly checked with the Forum's Administrator to be certain of compliance, something that virtually none of my Sponsor Peers bother to do. And I do so to ward off the exact instances of unwarranted accusations by people such as yourself, as very few as they are. Only my presence in so many threads makes me subject to the degree of scrutiny I receive, and the Link in my Signature is completely in compliance with the rules. If someone asks a question I cannot answer on a general Thread, I can and do direct them to the appropriate Sponsor Forum where such matters can be discussed.

Instead of dogging my trail as you do, why not go to the referenced youtube videos and address some pointed questions? You WILL NOT get anything remotely akin to sensible replies. Why not view the Videos where he defames and discredits this Forum, and call him out for such? I know you know why...you won't garner the attention you can get on here, the only reputable place for valid information. You'll only get the same rants he delivers to everyone else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok so since I'm brand new to the forum, but not to forums in general.
So before this thread goes into total butt hurt mode.
Can MM or FT give a quick run down of some pro or cons of the 3 of 4 paint mixes listed above.
Az...fire..digcry...general 2 part.
Not trying to jump in the middle of anything, just looking for the facts so I can make the best choice I can with paints.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,755 Posts
I will do a search of reviews for you for whatever examples I can find. Essentially, the performance claims are overstated for the expenditure required, and all too often people do not get what they order, just what is conveniently at hand. Worse still, the amateurish way he presents products, and the total lack of his own knowledge as to how best they can be used is almost churlish in it's lack of really caring about how things turn out for people whose money he already has in hand.

The Fellow is the epitome of a "Basement / Garage" vendor looking to capitalize on the upsurge in interest in Front Projection, and pick clean the pockets of those without any real experience. Nothing he sells is original, it's all gleaned from the efforts of others. The positive reviews he gets all come from people who quite candidly have no prior experience, and who can only judge by their own virgin efforts. But what you don't see are all the complaints, because if a given Video Log starts getting complaints, he simply makes up another and disposes of the issue filled examples.

Here's a prime example coming directly off the DigCrys YouTube pages, one that has not yet go "The Axe":
(The AVS examples are a bit more "pointed". Ftoast knows they exist, why he deigns to not mention them is a mystery)

There is just so much more out there of similar or worse ilk, and this subject has been broached and dealt with several times on this Forum over the last 12- 24 months and more. There are other Members who might step in and relate, but really all that does is prolong the agony.

In a very real sense, if there was any credibility in the products or the person involved, after 3-4 years there would be a raft of examples, Threads and posts.

There are none...and that speaks louder than anything else.

Attachments

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,755 Posts
Ok so since I'm brand new to the forum, but not to forums in general.
..and really, welcome to the Forum. We can and do help people make the "right" choices, given the chance, and as least as far as most of us are concerned, we stick by the user throughout the process.

You'd be best served by relating the particulars of what you want to accomplish, your equipment and screen desires, and the level of DIY'ism you feel comfortable with.

You WILL find not just an acceptable solution, but one that exceeds your expectations.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
If someone is selling screen paint and doesn't offer returns nor samples (many sellers offer one or both), that's not a good start.

When they have reports of ignoring buyers' complaints/pleas or shipping the wrong product, that gets frustrating and makes the returns/samples all the more important for their ability to let folks try before committing major investments.
DigitalCrystal also shows some fairly bad advice for screen-building and paint application which can further hurt someone new to this hobby.

On the positive side, at least DC shows plenty of comparisons (majorly flawed as they are)..some screen-sellers don't even take that step at all.
It's easy to see which of his screens have weaker blacks than most companies as well as which ones are dimmer than 1.0gain from most of his comparisons. I'm guessing this is why some others chicken out of showing side-by-side comparisons.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Instead of dogging my trail as you do, why not go to the referenced youtube videos and address some pointed questions?
Ftoast - why do you continue to level these accusations at every turn? You have your own great ideas, why not let them stand on their own? You're one of the few here who have done your own tests, and provided some very detailed information for others wanting a low-cost DIY solution, which is a great point in your favor. But promoting your own solutions while trashing others doesn't exactly help, nor does it make this a very welcoming atmosphere in the DIY Screen Section.

While I'm sure MM wants to succeed professionally, every time I've dealt with him over the last 12 years he's been clearly willing to help with my stated questions, and has not once tried to sell me anything. In fact I can find at least one recent thread where he's deflected talk of any solution for sale to a more appropriate venue. I'm not suggesting you aren't entitled to your opinion, but just asking that maybe you approach things in a manner that isn't quite so antagonistic.

Sorry if I offend anyone here, as that's not my intent. I'm not "taking sides" here, other than the side of fairness and an atmosphere of respectfully exchanging ideas and experiences.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Ftoast - why do you continue to level these accusations at every turn? You have your own great ideas, why not let them stand on their own? You're one of the few here who have done your own tests, and provided some very detailed information for others wanting a low-cost DIY solution, which is a great point in your favor. But promoting your own solutions while trashing others doesn't exactly help, nor does it make this a very welcoming atmosphere in the DIY Screen Section.

While I'm sure MM wants to succeed professionally, every time I've dealt with him over the last 12 years he's been clearly willing to help with my stated questions, and has not once tried to sell me anything. In fact I can find at least one recent thread where he's deflected talk of any solution for sale to a more appropriate venue. I'm not suggesting you aren't entitled to your opinion, but just asking that maybe you approach things in a manner that isn't quite so antagonistic.

Sorry if I offend anyone here, as that's not my intent. I'm not "taking sides" here, other than the side of fairness and an atmosphere of respectfully exchanging ideas and experiences.
I tend to be argumentive by nature, so I do have to fight that.
In this case, I do think DiCry is pretty scammy, but the things that actually got them in trouble on this forum are similar things MM has been teasing the line with for a long time (well before becoming a sponsor) so seeing him join in on the bashing feels hypocritical. The reason he deflected talk of a sold solution to the more appropriate venue is because NOT doing so would get him perminantly BANNED from this forum..it wasn't some inner-good, it was self-preservation.
I have also seen him deflect talk of fullDIY applications over to more appropriate dedicated threads too, so that's a positive thing I've noticed him doing along with all the other help he offers.

If you look through threads started by others for DIY screens (JamesofAZ, CarlsALR, DIYblack, mine, and almost any newer mention of Blackwidow) you'll eventually notice mississippi and PB tend to get pretty aggressive and sometimes downright mean toward almost any alternate applications they haven't made.

I haven't meant to put-down his mix's performance as it works well and is well-balanced for many situations, but I do often get in trouble for pointing out things such as off-axis dimming that it and all similar screens suffer. This isn't a problem for most, in fact it's the whole way almost all screens fight ambient light..so it's not meant as any insult, just making sure folks know the truth despite other's sometimes claiming there will be no off-axis dimming. Well-informed people can make more appropriate selections than missinformed people..if somebody falsely represents how something works, that is hurting rather than helping.
Between that and some other issues, I guess he and I rub eachother the wrong way.

I know none of the above is a good excuse for me being rude, but I wanted to add some fuller perspective in case you thought it was out of the blue or related to something else. I know he does offer some good advice and help as well.

I'll try to keep what you've said in mind. It's good to hear others' take on things so I can avoid offending folks or causing damage in the future..so, thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This guy has posted over 2,000 YouTube videos. Wow. All the ones I've watched seem to spout some bull like "the contrast is so much higher" . While you can clearly see that the picture is attenuating the bright regions of the picture in a huge way. He's probably getting a 0.6 gain from those black paints. Maybe less. It's really pathetic to see someone try to peddle a product in such an unprofessional way. MUST RESIST URGE TO TROLL HIS VIDEOS!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts