AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have this disc and I love the electronic bass and hard-edge club sound, especially in DTS/ES 6.1 surround. Unlike my other hi-res DVD-A's I prefer the discrete 6.1 stream over the 5.1 MLP track. However, UNLESS you really enjoy electronica/club music, you will most likely hate this disc regardless of the sampling rate or other technical considerations. It is recommended that you listen to sound snippets at online sites before purchasing this genre of music.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am a Crystal Method fan so I love the music. As far as the quality I think it's pretty good, on the DTS version as I don't have a DVD-A player. I've read in several other places that those who compared the DTS vs the DVD-A version on this disk prefer the DTS version of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a pretty aggressive mix. But if you are a fan of The Crystal Method, it translates EXTREMELY well into surround. In my case Legion of Boom was the album that really opened my eyes to multi-channel music.

If it's not obvious, I HIGHLY recommend this album.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yep, I have it as well, and think it's a great surround mix. I wish we could see more electronica in surround. Definitely worth picking up.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by df12 /forum/post/0

It's a pretty aggressive mix. But if you are a fan of The Crystal Method, it translates EXTREMELY well into surround. In my case Legion of Boom was the album that really opened my eyes to multi-channel music.

If it's not obvious, I HIGHLY recommend this album.

I had never heard of them before (not quite my generation
) but I encountered them in two situations

1. Some of their music accompanies the PC game Need for Speed and while playing the game with my son was interested in the music (also White Zombie!)

2. I think the theme music for the TV show Bones is also by Crystal Method IIRC

Not sure I could listen to an entire album though

Larry

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 /forum/post/0

I had never heard of them before (not quite my generation
) but I encountered them in two situations

1. Some of their music accompanies the PC game Need for Speed and while playing the game with my son was interested in the music (also White Zombie!)

2. I think the theme music for the TV show Bones is also by Crystal Method IIRC

Not sure I could listen to an entire album though

Larry

Somewhat in the same boat. Older guy, had a DTS demo video and heard the Bones soundtrack...so tried it. I'm not totally sold but the mix is technically brilliant, very aggressive surround and pans. A friend told me their earlier work was much better, so I'll probably try it. For a MCH demo it's outstanding.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos /forum/post/0

Is this a disc worthy of adding to my collection? Does the fact it's 48kHz detract from the quality?

Let's hear some thoughts on the MLP/DTS-ES included on this disc.

I'm a big NIN fan and I followed the release of SACD/DVD-A of Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral pretty closely. That release was done in "only" 48kHz as well but that was because that was the resolution of the original tapes the album was recorded to. Trent Reznor is a sound quality NUT (like us) and was advised to preserve the original sampling rate to get the best quality.

I agree that this CD isn't their best, but it's still good. If we could get their first CD in 5.1 that would be amazing!!

I don't want to throw this into a NIN hijack, but just in case anyone is interested:

His follow up in the surround sound world was his most recent CD "With Teeth" and that has the full resolution of the format. He is also coming out with a Blu-Ray DVD of his most recent tour in full 1080p!

And there is talk that he might release Pretty Hate Machine in 5.1 also (page by me): hxxp:// www.pfeifferbeer.com/nin/

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quank /forum/post/0

And there is talk that he might release Pretty Hate Machine in 5.1 also (page by me): hxxp:// www.pfeifferbeer.com/nin/

Pretty Hate Machine was my always my favorite NIN, I would be very happy to hear it in 5.1.

I just received Legion of the Boom DVD-A yesterday. I'm a big CM fan, so I was excited to finally hear some of their work in multichannel. The quality was IMO a big step up from the CD...and I think the surround mix is excellent. I haven't listened to it in DTS yet to compare...will have to soon. Legion of the Boom isn't my favorite album of theirs...so I would welcome surround mixes of their other albums as well.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Quote:
Is this a disc worthy of adding to my collection?

Yes. Solid mix, cool album. I like it a lot.

Quote:
Does the fact it's 48kHz detract from the quality?

Why? That's the original session rate. You're hearing bit-for-bit the sound quality of the master.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.