AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with one of these, and it doesn't happen all the time, but at certain times, a section of the picture just turns into horrible black streaks. Sometimes it's a persons teeth, others maybe a whole head, and other times it's just background features. Is there a setting I missed, or has anyone else seen this?

Additionally, the unit also had really no effect on the Jaggies either.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What kind of display do you have?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm outputing DirecTV via 480P to the digital input. I did try the 1080I, but the picture was a little better at 480P.

Also, if you look closely, there are virticle lines in the face area of most people, as if the unit is putting blocks together to form the picture, but there are faint but distinctive virticle lines. Artifacts are gone for the most part, but I was just assuming this was how it dealt with those.

Additionally, the set displays 480I, 480P, and 1080I.

Dvd's look really sharp, although in certain areas, the black horizontal lines continue to appear. I did try input via both interlaced and progressive from my dvd with the same results.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What version of the firmware do you have? You should have version 2.0 look in Misc menu for the version #. Also try 540p output to see if it works better. There may also be some users that have created a custom resolution for this RPTV, put a post out there for any Mits CS-1 owners.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't realize it, but from reading the thread, it looks like the set might have been cut off. The set is a Mits WS-65869. I am running the firmware 2.0, which would have shocked me if I wasn't since the unit was just shipped from FE 2 last week.

Anyway, I tried the 540P tonight, with unpleasant results, there were huge black streaks on the 16X9 mode, but once I switched to 4X3, the picture was mostly normal, except it simply could not fill the screen. I went through and adjust the size and position, still no luck.

In order to go back to the normal 480P mode, I decided to tell it to reset to the factory default. To my suprise, when I turn it back on, the picture was much improve. Something about how it came from the factory was really strange. The jaggies are reduced, not eliminated, but much better than it was. The occasional black streaks still do occur, but the situation is better. It does appear that at times, during movements, or with a red based background in an enclosed area, the unit lags behind painting the lines for a small section of the screen, causing the black lines.

Here's a quick question about how I should hook it up to the set. I have connected via a better cables VGA breakout cable. I am connecting to it's componet digital input, using HV sync. Should I use the regular componet progessive input, or would it make a difference? When I hooked it up, I assumed I should be going to the Digital input.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well I don't know much about this TV but when you say HV sync that tells me that the input is RGB not component (YPbPr)? Let me read up on this TV set and get back to you with some suggestions. If you want to do a quick test you could hook up a computer monitor to see if you get the same results.

·
Registered
753 Posts
One more thing, what source was your last test done on? Was it an interlaced DVD player? You mentioned Direct TV 480p as a source? If this is the case and you are outputting 480p then the CS-1 isn't doing any processing at all (this may be your problem). If DVD looks great with a few jaggies once in a while make sure that if it is a film DVD that you have Film selected as your deinterlacing type.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The source was DirectV 480I, converted by the CS-1 to 480P. The set will accept both the RGB and the YPbPr through this same set of inputs, but I have to ungplug the H/V cables in 1080I mode

Actually, I can't even spot the Jaggies in DVD's, but they are noticable from the DirecTV source. They are better, but not totally gone. I didn't know if this was supposed to eliminate them all-together, or just make an improvement. I know DirecTV is not the best source, and after the reset, it was a night and day difference. For example, before the rest, the 3 point line in basket ball look like stair steps, now they look close to what they should. However, hockey sticks, and straight lines still have a fair amount of Jaggies. If it can't eliminate all, I can accept that, but if it's supposed to, I might as well address it. The black line, lagging interlace or whatever it is, is just strange, and I'm not even sure what to call it. It's a slight annoynance, and only occurs in small parts of the screen. Like it is having problems with certain types of pictures, but oddly enough, it's something simple, like a woman turning her head, not the heavy motion invlovled like sports.

Just to note, the black line thing never occur when I connected the DirecTV receiver to the set directly.

I'll try hooking it to my computer monitor just for kicks and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
OK, when watching sporting events or video with movement turn PFDA off in the deinterlacing menu. This should help, but you are correct with video sources there is no cadence it is pure motion compensation (logical guess) when in auto mode the CS-1 is always looking to see if the source material is film or video so with fast moving scenes the processor may be confused for a fraction of a second trying to figure out what the source material is. With PFDA off it will basically turn off the film co-processor (you don't need it with video sources). In any case what you are describing is what is called combing. Jaggies with video will be reduced but never eliminated, higher resolution displays tend to show less jaggies and with film sources like DVD the sil504 deinterlacer does an outstanding job of reverse telecine, one of the best on the market. With video there are many factors relating to the quality of the video, for instance mpeg compression artifacts will give you a block or pixelated image looking image. Since the CS-1 isn't doing the mpeg decoding there is nothing that can be done about improving the decoding. Faroudja has what is called DCDI which helps soften the jaggies on diagonal straight line objects but the trade off is you lose some detail. In any case without spending a fortune for a processor there is little to be done about this. You did the right thing when you did the factory reset when you experienced the problem, this clears the memory of any garbage that could have caused some bad processing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help, except for the occasional combing problem and a few jaggies, the picture is significantly better, and I'm happy with the unit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I saw black streaking when using only the DVD-players internal scaling chip (Denon 2800). Still haven't figured out where it came from...

Did your black streaks come from bright objects? That was what happened to me...

Now I have the CS1 and I have seen this occur very limited once or twice. Does anyone now what this could be?

//Kris

·
Registered
753 Posts
If it comes from a DVD source it could be from bad edits on the DVD which causes some processors or Prog DVD players to fall out of film mode temporarily. This happens especially with deinterlacers that look for flags instead of following the 3:2 cadence. The advantage of the sil504 deinterlacer working with the MC504 co processor in the CS-1 is that it follows the 3:2 cadence and ignores flags, this means that the CS-1 will fall out of film mode less often than processors that use a deinterlacer that follows flags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.