AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
We were going to wait to announce an upgrade to the CS-2 until January when we had enough CS-2's available. Since there is demand for this now I have approval to release this now. I will announce this on a seperate thread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thats a very bad thing. Im already sending my unit in for a refund for other issues, but this would be reason enough for me.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Shaun,

All along, FE has promoted the CS-1 as being upgradable to DVI-HDCP. Your literature has always stated that it is so.

Is it now true that the CS-1 is NOT upgradable to DVI-HDCP? IF that is true, then FE has a public relations nightmare on their hands.

Many here, including myself, bought the CS-1 specifically because it was promoted as being upgradable to DVI-HDCP. The $695 cost to upgrade to a CS-2 by 'trading in' the CS-1 is unacceptable. I don't want a CS-2 or I would have bought one to begin with, (I do not need 'Time Base Correction' and I use RCA plugs, not BNC).

Frankly, either FE find a way to 'upgrade' the CS-1 to DVI-HDCP as promised, or either those of us who purchased the unit based on promises made by FE need to have a CS-2 sent to us as a no-cost trade for our returned CS-1's, or a full refund of our purchase price when the CS-1 is returned to FE.

thebishman

P.S. I am not blaming you for this 'problem'. You have been a Godsend to this board, and a great ambassador for FE. One of the main reasons I bought this particular processor was because of your excellent 'support' here at AVSforum.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shaun,

I'm new to the processor forum and would like to understand background information on the CS-1. Does the CS-1 employ a modular design given that Focus' manual states that it "features optional HDCP compatability"? If it is modular, was a HDCP option module planned or developed? If CS-1's design is not modular, why did FE include such a reference in the user's manual (to provide a sense of security to promote sales)? Just trying to understand the history....

Two downsides to the "CS-1 to CS-2 Exchange Offer" vs. a modular HDCP option:

1) CS-1 owner will be without a processor during both in-transit times unless FE is offering advance replacement

2) Exchange to CS-2 requires CS-1 owner to buy new BNC cables ($100+ for most); modular HDCP option preserves RCA connector and thus no cable expense

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'm a bit dissapointed about the CS-1 not doing HDCP as well. I've recommended it to several people privately and at least once publicly.

BUT, I think we need to be realistic and be thankfull that FE is even servicing our little niche at this price point. I imagine its pretty small.

Most people don't know that scalers exist and many of the ones who do are in a higher end market. ($4k+)

I think the low price of the upgrade from the CS-1 to the CS-2 makes up for the mistake.

My only caution to FE would be that your products pricing is on the edge of the market and every $100 increase in price lowers the potential number of units sold significantly. (A no cost RCA option would help)

IMO,

Ken

·
Registered
753 Posts
Everyone has to understand one thing. We are the first to come out with a processor that has HDCP. This is very new technology and when the manual was written for the CS-1 the CS-2 was still on paper. When the CS-2 final design was completed and tested with this new HDCP chip we realized that we could not go with a modular upgrade. When we wrote the manual we wanted to ensure our customers that we could provide an upgrade path to HDCP. Unfortunately the only feasible way to do so is to upgrade customers to the CS-2. I can tell you this, there isn't any money to be made in upgrading customers. This is just Focus providing pure customer satisfaction by providing an upgrade path that we promised. I am sorry if some of you are dissatisfied with this upgrade option.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Shaun,

With all due respect. I am looking right now at the Focus Enhancements 4 page 'glossy' handout that came with my CS-1. There is a large boxed in area on page 3: DVI and HDCP. It clearly states; " DVI with HDCP is standard on CenterStage CS-2, and optional on CenterStage CS-1, so both are fully compatible with any HDTV installation".

Furthermore, the last sentence on page 25 of the instruction manual of my CS-1, states exactly the above.

NOWHERE does it state that the upgrade path to HDCP for the CS-1 is to trade it in on a new CS-2. It purely states that HDCP is an 'Option' for the CS-1. Further, FE have always promoted this product as being optionally upgradeable to HDCP.

I bought this processor not only because of its excellent feature set, and your great support on this 'board', but also primarily because it was clearly advertised as being not just software upgradeable on a continual basis, but because it would be hardware upgradeable to HDCP.

What am I and others like myself to do now? Our $1500 video processor is essentially useless when/if HDCP goes 'mainstream'.

Sincerely,

David Bishop

·
Registered
753 Posts
All specs are subject to change, this is also on the glossy and should be in the manual. Both were written way before the product was finalized. We have new glossy's and manuals coming out. I am not in charge of Marketing materials so please don't blame me personally for this. We can still upgrade you to a CS-2 so we are providing an upgrade path. You can voice your complaint to our Customer support manager if you wish.

·
Registered
753 Posts
We were going to provide a hardware modification to upgrade the CS-1 to support HDCP but the cost would be the same as upgrading customers to the CS-2. I think that this is a better deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also bought the CS1 on the understanding it could be upgraded to HDCP

I think it would be time to test the legal system on this issue

·
Registered
753 Posts
You can all pick at this if you want. The bottom line is we are offering an upgrade path to HDCP and giving customers some additional features for free. There was never a complete description of an HDCP upgrade only because we did not know all of the details at that time. It seems like all of you want the HDCP upgrade without all the additional free features this makes absolutely no sense. I will not be responding to this thread any further.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I'm with Shaun on this one.

Until this announcement, were any of you given the cost of the HDCP option for the CS-1? If not, then you purchased the unit without any idea how much it would cost to add HDCP.

There's a reason they didn't quote the upgrade cost: they didn't know what it was going to cost them. And why not? Because they didn't fully know how they were going to do it.

Now they know. It's more than they expected. Gee, that's never happened before.

This talk about "if I wanted a CS-2 I would have bought one" is just nonsense. How many times have you bought a product that had more features than you needed? I'm not going to use the video-switching capability on my surround receiver. Should I demand that they refund some of my money to compensate?

I'm sorry you guys were caught off guard by this, but I think that once the dust settles and the CS-2 upgrade program is explained in detail it will be widely accepted as fair.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They are not talking about buying something with more than they need, rather buying something that was stated to have something they 'would' need in the future... Even if they never used it, it was obviously a selling feature. I was even told in the early days by FE website that the slots would allow SDI on the CS-1. I bought for the 'modularity' wether I needed it now or not.

I bought an MC-1 with 7 channel matrixing even though there is no 'true' 7 channel mixing, and I only had 5 speakers. I did not go and buy a Yamaha because of that. I bought the MC-1, and down the road when I upgraded other things I added on the last 2 speakers. If something is stated at the time of selling that isn't true, its illegal, plain and simple. So they printed off some manuals before they made the final specs on the box? come on.. If this was true, get a lacky to run over to the printers and spend a day getting a bunch more run off prior to shipping. There is no way something could get manufactured faster then you can get a manual printed. Changing the website takes 5 minutes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got my CS-2 through the upgrade program and couldn't be happier. I now have TBC which I didn't have before. I got all this without one lost day of scaler use. I took advantage of having Focus send out a CS-2 before I sent back my CS-1. I actually think the CS-2 produces a somewhat better picture (or maybe I just believe that because of the higher number??)

All in all I would say this is a good program. Now I even have DVI w/HDCP capability, should that ever come into play for me.

As far as the bitching goes on this thread, I think maybe those who are unhappy should contact Focus and/or Shaun privately and try an come to some sort of resolution. I don't believe airing this problem out is going to help those that are affected.

Just my 2 cents worth!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.