AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use the IScan Pro to improve VHS and DBS (DBS primarily). The Iscan Pro only outputs 480P and I think I can set the CS-1 to output 540P which is supposedly the sweetspot for the MITS RPTV's. Any expierence comparing the two? Should I expect and improvement?

Thanks..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Morgt0,

Yes, I have seen both at work. Both the unit's use Silicon de-interlacing which is some of the best de-interlacing on the market. The Iscan uses the Sil503 chipset and the CS-1 uses the Sil504 chipset. As I am sure you know, the 504 is newer.

From what I could see the CS-1 does a little better job of de-interlacing than the Iscan. Plus, when you add the fact that you can scale the image you can really see the differences. I also like the idea that you can upgrade the CS-1 by way of RS-232.

In the end, the CS-1 displays a better image than the Iscan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As it happens, I upgraded from an IScan pro to a CS-1. I'm now running at 1024x768, and the picture is unquestionably better than the iScan. The iScan was great because it was virtually plug-and-play, and did an incredible job for the price, but with the CS1 and the remote software, I've been able to dial-in the CS1 much more closely to my display device (a runco fptv). At 480p, the differences are harder to pick out, but I should think being able to get closer to your display's sweet spot is always a good thing. I now use my iScan to turn a 19" computer monitor into a tv in my office. what a waste of a great piece of equipment! :)

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info all. One other question, can someone tell me what the "sweetspot" would be on my Mits WS-65908 RPTV when connecting it to a CS-1 scaler. From reading other posts here I think it would be 540P through the RGB inputs on the Mits but I am unsure which RES that is on the CS-1. There is a RES lableled "960 x 540p" on the CS-1 or would it be "1920 x 1080i 16:9" ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Morgt0,

Both 1080i and 540p scan at 33.75kHz so both are the sweet spot scan rate for your HDTV. The HDTV will only read that horizontal scan rate to display the image, so both should display over your HDTV.

Then, it would be up to you to see which image you like better 540p or 1080i. Some like scaled 540p and others like scaled 1080i, it's up to the person.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
A waste of a good piece of equipment?

To see TV on your PC monitor, the alternative to a TV tuner card is an NTSC to VGA converter of which an iScan is an example. Also, most TV tuner cards have very primitive comb filters while the iScan has a pretty decent comb filter. You will get a very superb TV, DVD, and even VCR picture using the iScan.

A 19 inch TV monitor gives a much sharper picture than an ordinary TV twice the size. (Mainly due to the much finer dot pitch). You will see the difference in quality between the iScan and lesser NTSC to VGA converters (and also the deficiencies of highly compressed cable and dish video signals) on that monitor even though the screen is just 19 inches.

And most PC monitors have an easily adjusted 16:9 squeeze.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.