AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good scaler for my Barco 808 (don't want an HTPC for many reasons) and am thinking the CS-HD would be a good choice. Any comments, pro or con, about this idea? As I understand it, this scaler can hit the Barco's resolution sweet spot.

c

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The sweetspot of a crt depends on how well it's set up and how worn the tubes are and the aspect ratio of hte screen. I'd have thought a device that could output in single scan line increments would have been more suitable.

ie Lumagen Vision or Pro, *** Rock, original Leeza, cs-1 or 2....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Craig,

I've been using a CS-HD with my NEC XG110LC and have been pleased with it's performance for the price. I'm using 720P (1280x720) with good results on an 80x45 screen.

I'm in the process of changing my screen right now to an 80x60 Torus Screen. I will have it finished by the end of next weekend, and I will let you know how 720P is on the larger screen.

The are only a couple of downsides to the CS-HD. One is that it only does 60 Hz refresh rate on all of the resolutions except 1280 x 1024.

This could result in some flicker and also could introduce some judder on pans and fast horizontal movement with film based material. It is best to use a multiple of 24 (72 Hz) for the refresh rate with film based material to eliminate both of these problems.

That being said, my wife and I have not been sensitive to either of these with my setup, and we've watched plenty of movies with the CS-HD.

Another is that is is fixed in the resolutions that it supports. If you want to be able to dial it in to the exact sweet spot, you won't be able to with the CS-HD. As Gordon said, you would need one of the processors he listed.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I got mine from Jason at AV Science. The price was great and the service was excellent. Give him a shout if you are interested.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have a CS-1 with a BG808s. There is a reported bug by a few people with the same or similar setup as mine when using the interlaced component in where you get a wave near the bottom of your screen when running 720P. This does not happen when using the progressive in though. There are a few threads on this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.