Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Received the CS-HD to go with my RP82 and Toshiba 50hx81. My main reason for the purchase was to bypass the internal 540p upconversion of the Toshiba. Here are my experiences so far....

Running progressive into the cshd and 1080i to the tv. On Avia, there is some softening at the bottom of the wedge, but better than the Toshiba. Colors seem better. Color separation seems better. The background images in movies seem clearer and more defined. Better shadow detail. Right side ghosting seems less, if not all but gone, but maybe a little of edge enhancement there (slight ghosting on both side). But my tv had severe right side ghosting, so an improvement. None of these things individually would give you the wow factor, but add them all together and I like it.

Now for the but.... I get what appears to be rolling lines scrolling up and down on the screen, noticeable only during dark scenes. This is very annoying. You do not notice it at other times, only in the dark portion of the scene. Also if you hit stop, where the screen goes black, then you can really see what happens. Almost looks like some type of interference. Switched to interlaced input and it is gone, but the image is noticeably better with progressive, so I do not like that option.

Also I can not get 540p to work. The image gets very dark, with distorted colors. Weird is when I switch to the 4x3 mode (bars on the sides) it is clear and the way it is supposed to be, but when I switch to 16x9 it gets all messed up. I have run the calibration on the cshd.

Any help would sure be appreciated. The rolling lines can possibly be a deal breaker, but the image as a whole is so much better with the cshd that I don't want to part with it. I can't help think that 540p might be better, but can't get it to work.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I do not have the CS-HD but...

For the interference lines, can you try a different cable? Also try unplugging and replugging all connections, this has a cleaning effect for better contact.

Also try grounding the frame of the CS-HD and/or your other equipment. One suggested way is to connect a bare wire under one of the screws that holds the casing shut, you can also squeeze it under the shell of one of the RCA plugs in use, if the jack stud is fastened to the casing as opposed to in the middle of an insulating strip.

For DVD and other 480p and 480i sources, I do not understand the significance of 540p versus 1080i (could you fill me in?). As far as know, they are the same as far as the TV is concerned, and if one works, don't worry about trying the other.

Alternatively the CS-HD may use the label 540p to refer to one retrace interval timing and the label 1080i to refer to another, and your TV doesn't like one or the other. Service menu adjustments would be needed to tweak this.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.