AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bunch of dropouts on CSI:Miami last night.

Now, I bumped the antenna yesterday, but the signal does read very strong.

So I'm wondering if I messed up the setup or if there were actual problems?!?

Please advise.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The broadcast looked perfect here in the Chicago area - no dropouts at all.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I had dropouts and breakups too but I thought it was approaching bad weather.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was watching OTA. Was that your source?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes, I got a LOT of dropouts during CSI last night. Went to a completely green screen. Funny. I always look over at my receiver to see if I have a green "receiving signal" light because of all the signal dropouts (due to my location/antenna) I've had in the past. That wasn't it. This has to be the station, or the signal TO the station.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely numerous dropouts on CSI Miami last night in Cupertino. I usually get good reception on KPIX and last night's signal strength was 70 to 75 (on DTC-100), which is typical. Perhaps KPIX transmitter was having problems. Glad to hear that others in SF Bay Area also had similar problems (meaning it was not my antenna or equipment at fault). In addition to picture problems, the sound level also changed, usually just after one of those "green screen" episodes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No dropouts in Central NJ with the OTA signal from Philadelphia

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm on the Fremont, Milpitas border using a Zenith 520 and I also experienced the dropouts and green screens. My signal strength is almost pegged (95%?), so it had to be the station. No dropouts on ABC watching the Raiders get slaughtered.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
This has been happening on KPIX-DT for awhile now. Ken reported previously that he thinks it's heat related. It is very annoying. Last summer even during heat waves, this didn't happen. This year, over the last month or two, KPIX-DT has been breaking up to beat the band.

I sent KPIX-DT an email about his issue and have not heard boo back. Anyone out there have an "in" with KPIX-DT engineering?

This just in from the engineering department at KPIX-DT. they are on it. It turns out to be a combination of aircraft radar and being located much higher on the tower than KTVU or KGO. They have moved their sat. receievers to a shielded location and are now attempting to engineer shielding for the broadcast antennas (which also apparently pick up the radar blasts) to eliminate this issue. so it's not heat, but radar...

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, thank you all for the reports. Whenever this happens, I immediately think: "It's my stuff" because I am always tweaking something or other.

So I check in here, learn it was "them" and not "me" and, well, I can just say: "I hope that doesn't happen again."

I, too, had the green screens on the breakups. Sounds like it was only KPIX and that they are working on it.

So that's good.

Mark

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
oh that is so good to know, thank you. now if I could only find out why my hdtv signals drop to zero from 8am to 4pm heheh.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
BTW drop-outs aside, did that look spectacular or what? It was the first time I've watch the show in High Definition.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There have been other episodes in HD that are far more spectacular. That's how pretty CSI:Miami can be!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
GregF wrote:

> ... now if I could only find out why my hdtv signals drop to zero from 8am to 4pm heheh.

If all of the digital signals from Sutro Tower are off the air, that means that they're working on the antenna up there. After the KGO/KQED section of the antenna burned up, they checked the other sections and found a lot of loose connections. A repair crew has been going through each section of the antenna fixing these connections.

I know that they have completed sections 1, 2 and 3. I don't know if they have finished the fourth or not. Once the job is finished, you shouldn't see the stations going off during the day time hours.

Larry

San Francisco

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.