AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been viewing HD for about 6 months now and on my newly acquired 45"Sharp a few weeks ago which is native 1080P and I've also owned an SXRD and Panny Plasma but I've never seen anything this perfect tonight viewing CSI-Miami the colors and clarity are friggin amazing beyond any 1080i I've seen to date and I have 15 HD Channels. I'd swear that I'm looking at 1080P or pretty damn close to it and it's mezmerising.

Is CSI using special camera's or something? I have my settings on Dot-to-Dot which is 1:1 pixel mapping but this TV Show is beyond any other 1080i that I've ever seen. The PQ is simply on another level and I'm not even using HDMI - it's via component. Oh Well, I know the Qualia Thread has a few People that work in the TV Industry and thought someone may know whether this is a fluke or what?

·
Registered
33,440 Posts
It looks like they hype both the color and the sharpness....it almost looks like the entire show is CG it's so hyped. I'm not a big fan of these very stylized looks, I prefer a more natural looking picture.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I thought that last night's episode was particularly vibrant color-wise. The PQ on this show is always a shade above most of what's out there.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Every time I tell someone new to HD what show to watch-CSI Miami.

Hands Down the best PQ

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
It looks like they hype both the color and the sharpness....it almost looks like the entire show is CG it's so hyped. I'm not a big fan of these very stylized looks, I prefer a more natural looking picture.

Yes, I was just thinking that someboyd in my house had been messing with my settings on my Sony k-10 (they had not). The colors were hyper bright!. That may be an "look" that they are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice
I thought that last night's episode was particularly vibrant color-wise...
My wife and I noticed that too. We watched it in SD - and the color was really saturated - the shots outside of the 'club' almost looked surreal - hopefully (abd obviously by everyones' posts) it translated over in HD better.

Hopefully, we'll be watching it in HD in the coming months too!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Agree with this and earlier reports about the 'excellent' HD fidelity of the CSIs, especially Vegas and Miami. Part of it must be, as some colorists (telecine operators) have reported, the fact that TV productions typically use negatives instead of resolution-diminished prints for transfers. Yet camera operators here have also reported that filtering, such as silk stockings or standard filters, are usually used for the 35mm filming.

Generally find with my 1080i CRT RPTV that CSIs--or any 24p-captured programs--deliverer the best HD fidelity when there's little motion within scenes, plus the strong lighting needed for maximum contrast and therefore the highest resolutions. With motion fine details blur as expected, although with a CRT system displaying CSI images at 60 fields per second, as broadcast, there's no deinterlacing or scaling involved. The new 1080p displays that use inverse telecine to extract the original 24p from 2-3-pulldown delivery broadcast at 1080/60i (30i) should provide the best images--providing the extra video processing works okay. Some of the latest processing, as threads in other forums point out, involve constant 540p bobbing for deinterlace, which can halve vertical resolution. [Edit: Or at least 540p bobbing could prevent higher vertical rez, such as the 800 lines measured maximum for static test pattern images with interlaced viewing. Other measured resolutions are here .]

Whether the nearly static, crisp-looking shots in CSI etc. (24p origination) are better looking than the wow-effect programs directly taped or hard-drive recorded at 1080/60i (30i) still seems a close call here. These are programs such as the late-night shows, HDNet, PBS, INHD, etc. travelogues and documentaries. On my screen, these wow-effect programs, even though likely recorded on HDCAM filtered at 1440-lines (upscaled to 1920X1080), seem to have sharper images. That's likely caused by a certain amount of HDCAM video enhancement, plus images have been captured at 60 fields per second, as with live 1080i, instead of 24 fps. Film images, though, seem to provide better contrast and color than HDCAM-taped sources, which have a 'flatter' appearance.

My cable system and STB limits maximum resolution to ~1290 lines, although another cable system/STB, discontinued last month, delivered 1335 lines maximum. HDNet's resolution wedges , broadcast Tuesdays at 6 am ET, let you check overall system resolution, using this conversion method . -- John

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice
I thought that last night's episode was particularly vibrant color-wise. The PQ on this show is always a shade above most of what's out there.
The opening shot is always breath taking.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I don't even watch this show for the plot or anything. I just gawk at the picture. Yeah they overdo the colors a bit, but the overall picture is so amazing, it's hard to complain.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I cannot agree. The colors are oversaturated. The contrast is boosted so much that everyone's skin has grain and texture, even under pancake makeup.

Look around you and compare to CSI:Miami. TV should not IMHO look "realer than life".

As for the original CSI, there is no comparison. That program like many is shot too dark.

Both are done as expressions of style. I can take the dark shows, but CSI:Miami gets tiresome real fast, and I'm not talking about the lame plotlines.

Gary

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
CSI Miami has very unrealistic looking colors but always did and I expect that. What is the deal with CSI? Everytime they go into a home or apartment, it is dark inside regardless of what time it is and they are always shinning their flashlights. I guess all the shades in Vegas are drawn all the time!

·
Registered
702 Posts
dont forget:

CSI: SIN CITY -- graveyeard shift = dark scenes, low contrast colors, etc.

CSI: MIMAMI -- day shift, bright colors.

CSI: SUV -- bluish tint.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy
I cannot agree. The colors are oversaturated. The contrast is boosted so much that everyone's skin has grain and texture, even under pancake makeup.

Look around you and compare to CSI:Miami. TV should not IMHO look "realer than life".

Both are done as expressions of style. I can take the dark shows, but CSI:Miami gets tiresome real fast, and I'm not talking about the lame plotlines.
I disagree. I have no issue with shows looking "realer than life." TV, like film, is a visual art form. The director/show runner/d.p./whomever will, as part of the expression of that art, create a visual style. How "stylized" that style is depends on the preference of the team creating the film or TV product, but CSI: Miami is hardly the first to employ a very stylized appearance. Personally, I think it fits with the whole image of Miami, which always seems to evoke this Art Deco-y sort of feel.

Plus, the hyper-coloring goes very well with David Caruso chewing the scenery all over the place. (Seriously, the guy is a drinking game waiting to happen.)

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
The colors are exactly why I quit watching CSI: Miami. I HATE the overdone push to the warm end of the spectrum, everything is golden, yeah sure. To me the gold standard in HD broadcasting was NYPD Blue. they didn't play with the color, dingy looked dingy, people looked like people, shots of the city were stunning.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Well I wouldn't want NYPD Blue to look like CSI Miami and vice versa. Different animals altogether.

Now can you imagine the old uber stylistic Miami Vice in HD? Yowzer!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
it's a hell of a lot better than that red skin tone look that NCIS went for. I don't watch that show anymore because of that....do they still do that?

·
Registered
637 Posts
How do they make it look so good? Just like the magazines do to people on their covers: a lot of extra touch-up and manipulation. It may look nice, but you're looking at a lot of artificial stuff as well.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
As a 16:9 SD viewer in the UK the CSI series have a very definite "look" to them by the time I get to view. It is a very clean and clear look - and very stylised - however it doesn't look anywhere near "real" to me. (I've watched more of the original CSI series set in Las Vegas than the Miami spin-off though)

The shows are all heavily graded (i.e. colour balanced in post) and look more "sharp" rather than "high resolution" - and this is at standard def 576/50i 16:9.

The shows are pretty entertaining - but again I suspect they bear little resemblance to reality!

We have a UK series called Silent Witness, which is also based around forensic science (though majoring on the Pathology aspect) - and that is a polar opposite. It is graded to be quite cold and desaturated - and the earlier series had a far more "realistic" feel (though the main character seems to get more juicy murder cases in a season than a leading consultant would in a life time!)

However I guess Miami and Las Vegas would look "warmer" than cold, damp Cambridge or London in the UK!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.