AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I first started getting into DVDs me and my friends would always have a disc that we would call reference... Rush Hour, Bugs Life, ect. As soon as a new disc came out that really seemed to push dvd to the limit it would be claimed the new reference disc, even if we didn't care for the movie itself. I'd love to see the same thing with HD. I'd rather not debate which show is better from an enjoyment standpoint, but just from overall quality in picture / sound.

Now that DVD is not the biggest and best, its time for HDTV to take its place and what better to name our first reference program/show !

My vote would have to go to CSI MIAMI:

Video: This show looks absolutely amazing in HD, and it really was meant for it. The show is very good, excellent dialogue & typically interesting plots. The effects are 1st class just like a full 100mil Hollywood picture, and the acting is also very good. CSI Miami also has a very unique way of recreating the actually crime happening with some great special effects. All this in video translate to amazing colors and contrast. Many outside and inside shots, lots of sun setting shots, the flesh tones look dead on. Perfect !! I'm really right next to these people in Miami helping to solve these crimes !!

Sound: CSI MIAMI has an excellent use of sound from either background music to set the mood, or from some great action scene on the screen. Really its hard to tell the difference from DVD sound when this is going. ( Never thought I'd say that)

Lets put aside live events such as the super bow.. and I'd like anyone to say that any show looks better in HDTV then CSI MIAMI (Here come all the Jennifer Garner fanboys )

:)

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
How about "CSI" (Las Vegas version) and "The District"? Both of those look really good...and are good shows, too!

Larry

·
Registered
698 Posts
While I somewhat agree with your choice as far as video, I think I'd have to debate the sound/audio for any "CSI" as they are not broadcast in DD 5.1. While Pro Logic can offer decent surround, there are too many other shows that offer 5.1. Not sure if you're including HBO/SHO/HDNet but for your reference, but IMHO they offer a higher level of detail and audio quality (Shrek, Tombstone, Gladiator, Sopranos, etc). As far as regular broadcast shows, NYPD and Alias excel in both video and audio quality. Of course, this is sure to change once NBC and CBS go 5.1.

Jimmer has a point though. With HDTV, I think you're more or less comparing directorial preferences, versus the quality of the show. Still, it's an interesting concept, and I've found myself doing the same thing when seeing new HDTV content. (prime example was the SB. I've decided that CBS has become the reference for HD football and has yet to be dethroned)

Tony

·
Registered
604 Posts
I vote for the 5:1 audio of NYPD Blue. The use of percussion and low drums is often startling, and completely unique to regularly scheduled TV. It is just stunning and obviously designed by someone who understand how to use 5:1 for other than just music presentation.

The video quality is also very high but as has been mentioned, other than how the director chooses to shoot and light the image, overall the video is very high quality across the HD board.

It''ll be very interesting to see how CBS exploits 5:1 on the original CSI given their large lead in prime time material. I believe the lead actor, Grissom, directs (or does he produce?) the CSI shows and seeing how they are so well shot I presume he'll also make use of audio in creative and non-gimicky ways. They do have huge low end at times so I know they are sensitive to audio.

I might add ProLogic II is a giant advancement over ProLogic. It's actually very close to some lesser forms of 5:1. Much more channel specific information and far less of the 85% center fill of ProLogic.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Granted, not everyone has access to PBS HD, but the Smart Travels series blows away CSI in any flavor, as does "Over Alaska", which aired last night.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
CSI Miami's look is so forced, as is CSI, that I think it's a bad choice as a reference. I'm not saying its bad ... it's an intentional artistic choice that works well for the show ... it just isn't very indicitive of the format's cababilities and limitations. I'd say the same thing about "Law & Order" ... I love the look of the show, but it's intentionally grungy so it's not a good reference.

I'd have to agree that some of PBS' and HDNet's productions would serve as better reference standards.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In general, I think that CSI Miami looks pretty good. One of the things that bothers me is the somewhat "jumpy" look to some of the filming (taping?). It looks like they are doing something funky with the framerate. I don't know if it is intentional or not.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
Granted, not everyone has access to PBS HD, but the Smart Travels series blows away CSI in any flavor, as does "Over Alaska", which aired last night.
Yes i aill agree here, the more looking at PBS HD, they do look amazing, and probably should be the reference from a video standpoint at this time.... Its just too bad they don't have some nice DD5.1 action with animals fighting :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
Don't forget about the Tonight Show with Jay Leno if your NBC broadcasts HD in full datarate.
can't argue with Leno quality - although it is pretty much TOO good for my taste. That is WAAAY more of Leno's mug and bad makeup than I EVER wanted to see :p :p :p

As for serial-type broadcast shows I would have to give the nod to The District. The next one I don't watch, and it is probably easier to be very consistent on a single sitcom stage, but ED seems to be quite good!!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Funny, I've alway found the Hd picture on CSI Miami annoying. Often grainy and waayyyy too orange. Very stylized, "South Beach" looking.

I don't know if there is one show that I would say sets a standard, each one seems to take liberties with the picture and uses it to the directors advantage, which is I guess how it should be.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Matt: I couldn't agree more. But, my wife thinks that the two CSI's justify the cost of HDTV, so that's what we watch.

As far as a reference program, Over Canada would be one of my choices and while I am at it I would nominate HD Net as the Reference Channel.

Regards:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to have to cast my vote for Bikini Destinations on HDNet. As far as OTA network programming I've seen Judging Amy look really good on occasion. Not a fan of the show but visually it looked pretty good. If you have to pick one of the CSI shows I like the original better. Some of those night shots of the strip look great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, during the short time we got Discovery HD for free on DISH, I was absolutely blown away by 'Insectia'.

The video was a little too good :) I found myself identifying with the poor Praying Mantis that gets his head bitten off during mating.... (gulp)

Rino

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
As far as regular broadcast shows, NYPD and Alias excel in both video and audio quality. Of course, this is sure to change once NBC and CBS go 5.1.
I don't watch NYPD Blue, but I certainly wouldn't say that the video or audio is particularly good on Alias (love the show, though). On the video side, CSI Las Vegas and Alias are both pretty "dark", but CSI uses creative lighting and usualy the detail still comes through very well. Alias, on the other hand, is just plain dark and murky, looks like an amateur did the lighting. Maybe that's the look they're going for, but I don't think it works nearly as well as CSI Las Vegas.

On the audio side, Alias may have occasional explosions or gunfire in the surround channels, but the overall sound quality is mediocre at best: limited dynamics, with dialog often sounding boxy/hollow, and just sounding compressed overall. Just because the 5.1 light in your receiver is lit up doesn't mean you're getting superior audio. CSI Las Vegas' 2.0 audio is much better IMHO: deeper bass, better detail, better sound stage, etc. I can't wait to see wait the CSI crew do with true 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I third PBS. The HD stuff is great, love checking out Europe.

Honestly I think King of Queens is great PQ, along with most or CBS's hd sitcoms. No theatrical fx stuff added, just simple shows.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.