AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CSS SDX-10 Subwoofer - your experience?

So I am looking at the CSS SDX-10 subwoofer. Some people on PETT are designing a "bass module" for 2-way TM speakers to sit on to convert them essentially to high-quality high-power 3-way speakers. On paper, it looks pretty good. It appears to be sturdy and well built. The price isn't terrible.

Is it really all that? From the paper specs, it's got decent sensitivity (could be used with 2-way TM speakers passively, with lots of power), good extension, and works in a smallish box. The Le isn't particularly high, so they could play up to 200 Hz without difficulty. I am seeing 45 liters tuned to 25 Hz looks good. It uses a 3" precision port at full length (17") and chuffing shouldn't be a huge issue until power starts creeping up.

I am thinking about building these "bass modules" myself, but I may end up crossing them a little lower, like around 120 Hz, using a Mini-DSP or some other combination of filters.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Do you mean the SDX10? It's not really new, so not sure what would cause a new interest in it, but it is a nice sub. I haven't owned one but I've seen them in person and heard them. They seem to be suited for small sealed but also useful ported. I'd personally use it if my dimensions were restricted to

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, you are right. Sorry I changed the thread title and OP to reflect.

The reason there is renewed intrest in this is that Jeff Bagby is using this in his "Bass Module" project for the Kairos and Continuum TMs. Both of these are excellent speakers but the bass is limited and they are excursion-limited for power. Crossed over to the SDX, they can play louder and deeper.
Why the SDX, well that is primarily because they play pretty low in a small enclosure, and the sensitivity is just a little bit more than some other 10" subwoofers- because this project could be actively amped with 4 channels of amplification OR passively crossed over and powered by a robust 2-channel amp. I think the plan is the bass module is going to be a mere 9 or 10" wide, side firing.

I've run some sims on some other 10" woofers and none of them so far can quite offer the combination of parameters this has. This is for full range music, not necessarily for home theater.

I'll probably be building these and posting my results on here, but it's hard to say until I put the order in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts