AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this same set of questions on the CRT Forum but have not had much luck with it. Perhaps there may be some folks on this forum who may be able to provide some insight for me, if possible.

I have several questions for the many knowledgeable members of this forum regarding some of the items that might be found in the typical service menu of a CRT set. I am hoping some of you could explain what the following things do to a picture and what might be the best setting for it.

ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) settings (I've seen settings for P_ABL-L, ABL Mode and ABL-TH, whatever that is). Is it best to disable any limiting of brightness for those of us tweaking and calibrating our sets?

CTI Level. I've know that this affects the amount of overlap of color in color bars. But what is the best setting for it? I would presume the highest level would keep the least amount of color bleeding would occur between pixels while a low level (mine goes between 0-3) would cause softness and bleed-over. Is a compromise setting preferable or is the highest level better?

Sub F0 control, and related to that Sharpness Pre-Overshoot Gain, LTI Level (or Sharpness Y edge level enhancement) and System. I am guessing that LTI level should be at a minimum (since why would you want MORE edge enhancement when trying to reduce the effects of sharpness artifacts) but I've seen reference that the other three may not, necessarily, do edge modification, only enhancement ensureing less pixel bleedover at higher levels. Any thoughts?

Dynamic Picture control. I know this can affect black level in some way, but I am uncertain yet if this is affected in a better way by having it on or not.

Dynamic Color. I have heard this affects color based changes on APL (whatever that means). Is this a good thing to have on, or does it introduce artificial artifacts that a discerning viewer would not want to see?

Z Cut. I have heard this may do something to reduce image jitter, but what does it really do? And would it be preferable to keep this on or turn it off?

That's it. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have some thoughts or even guesses on these?

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.