Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevorsplace
I am considering one of the CTX monitors and would like to hear from anyone that has one. How is the picture quality for both Computer and HDTV.
All indications suggest that its performance will be consistent with the Princeton Graphics AR line, since the PG AR line and CTX MS line are just re-branded Monivision monitors. I've done some dot-pitch calculations, and I think Princeton's recommended resolution of 800x600 (for the AR2.7FTX, which appears to be the same as CTX's MS2900VF) is well-conceived. You won't really be able to resolve anything better than that. In other words, it should make a fine monitor for games, but is a horrible choice for a primary computer monitor.

For TV viewing, it should be good for watching progressive widescreen DVDs or DTV (i.e. 480p). Assuming it uses the same "vision box" as the PG AR2.7FTX, it will squeeze 480 scanlines into a 16:9 letterbox. Again, the poor dot-pitch (on any large CRT - not just this one) prevents it from resolving most of the additional detail in 720p or 1080i HD.

I'm about to buy a MS2900VF, myself, since I'm sick and tired of waiting to buy the PG-branded version (which is a little cheaper, but has only a 1 year warranty). I plan to use it for VHS, TV/DTV, DVDs, and maybe some games. When I'm actually serious about HD (and have more space and money), I will replace it. I do not believe there are any substantially better direct-view alternatives out there, if you care about an accurate reproduction of your video signal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.