Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Here's a telling statement in all this:
Quote:
WGN will be using two crews, combining Trio Video’s digital truck and HD Net’s HDTV truck. While Cubs commentators Chip Caray and Joe Carter will cover the game on both signals, many other aspects of the HDTV game will be different, from the shots chosen, to the replays shown.
Translation:

We're getting the HDTV video feed from HDNet, and adding in our own audio.

While it is encouraging, the fact is that without HDNet's presence, this game would not be broadcast in HDTV.

Sad, but true.

Regards,

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sad, but true?

So long as it is in HD I'm not complaining. Remember Mark Cuban is the pioneer of HDTV, who else would WGN go to when they want a HD Truck and a company with alot of experience to properly "show-off" what HD can do to a ball game?

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's nice that this game will be in HD, but the reality is that for the foreseeable future, this might be a once-a-year type of event. I hope I'm wrong, and believe me, I'm happy that this is happening, but unless WGN gets their own truck and cameras, I'm not going to be celebrating too much.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Dan,

Exactly. I will be glued in front o' the TV set to watch the game, and probably invite a few people over to watch -- but until we start seeing a game a month, or a game a week in HD, it's a small victory.

OTOH, WGN can claim that they increased by 50% the number of HD broadcasts they've had... from 2 to 3.

Regards,

·
Registered
302 Posts
In case y'all didn't know, HDNet has been showing a game pretty much every night lately. Not the Cubs, sadly for you Cubs fans, but it hasn't been all the same teams either. For a baseball fan, it's just fun to watch in HiDef. HNick

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Mike,

WGNs record for HDTV isn't stunning, and they've earned the commentary they've received by their lack of HD programming.

Regards,

·
Registered
172 Posts
John Kotches writes:

Translation:

We're getting the HDTV video feed from HDNet, and adding in our own audio.

WRONG!

John, before you make statements like that maybe you ought to have some idea what you are talking about. Like last year the WGN HD Cubs telecast will be produced by WGN producers, directed by a WGN hired director and crewed by local techs who are hired by WGN. All HDNet will provide is the truck and one, maybe two, truck engineers. This game is being completely produced by WGN, just as every other Cubs telecast they air is.

WGN no longer owns any remote production facilities. For all their SD remotes, they hire production trucks from Trio Video in Chicago. Trio does not have an HD truck, so WGN is hiring the truck from HDNet.

BTW, WGN also plans to broadcast the Sunday game of the Cubs/Sox series at Sox Park in HD.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Can someone tell me if WGN is broadcasting a digital signal currently? I know I used to get good reception of WGN (using a rooftop antenna from Lakeview--2900 north, with a line-of-sight view of the transmitters), but for at least several weeks now I've been getting a blank screen and a message saying "no signal." However, when I check the signal strength meter on my Zenith DTV-1080, it's in the good range, the same as other stations which come in fine.

I haven't paid much attention before, but I want to be able to watch the Cubs-Sox game next weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
9-1 is working fine from, IIRC, 10am to 10pm. 9-2 has not operated for a while now.

·
Registered
823 Posts
greywolf--

Thanks for the info. It's strange--I checked before 10 AM today(when WGN isn't broadcasting), and the signal was zero. It's now back up into the "good" range, but again no picture. This is on 9-1. I rescanned the channels, but no difference.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Hmmm..

If your STB is a Hughes, Mitsubishi, or Toshiba, make sure your zip code is in the Local in 1 position of your dish setup.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well, I figured it out, sort of. My STB is a Zenith DTV-1080. I found the WGN digital signal on 19-2, so I guess it's a problem with mapping that channel to 9-1.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Fran,

All due respect... here's the quote, perhaps WGN should make it clear who's doing what....

Quote:
WGN will be using two crews, combining Trio Video’s digital truck and HD Net’s HDTV truck. While Cubs commentators Chip Caray and Joe Carter will cover the game on both signals, many other aspects of the HDTV game will be different, from the shots chosen, to the replays shown.
Flat out, without HDNet's resources the HD broadcast wouldn't happen. If this is incorrect, then WGN needs to update their information.

Three HD broadcasts in one year is an abyssmal record.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eelton
greywolf--

Thanks for the info. It's strange--I checked before 10 AM today(when WGN isn't broadcasting), and the signal was zero. It's now back up into the "good" range, but again no picture.

It's been doing this off and on between 7pm and 9pm tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had problems recently getting WGN over the air lately. The solution that worked for me is to turn off the channel mapping. If I have channel mapping on, my Panasonic TU-DST50W maps WGN to 75-1 and shows a blank screen. If I have the mapping turned off, it comes in fine on Channel 19. I'm a few blocks away from Wrigley field at Addison and Lakewood and I get the signal fine, so you shouldn't have any problems getting the signal at 2800 N., eelton.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
anyone notice that 9-2 is the same as 9-1 now in terms of aspect ratio? What is going on with WGN's digital signal? These antics dont play well considering that HD programming is finally arriving on WGN/WB.

·
Registered
172 Posts
John Kotches writes:

Flat out, without HDNet's resources the HD broadcast wouldn't happen. If this is incorrect, then WGN needs to update their information.

That's just not true. WGN could choose to lease one of the hand full of other HD production trucks that are out there. HDNet is not responsible for this production, WGN is.

And John, I just updated that information for you. Apparently you choose not to believe it or don't understand the nature of this business.

I'm sitting here asking myself why I care that you are so misrepresenting this situation. It's not because I have some love for WGN. It's probably because I know of all the hard work the techs and engineers and production people will be putting into these broadcasts. And yes, WGN itself is doing something special. But it is the local TV production professionals who go out there every day and do this work so you'll have something to watch. And they take pride in their work, and they, too, think it's something special to do this HD broadcast. So don't make it sound like this broadcast is just falling into WGN's lap. It's falling into your lap.

If you have a beef with how WGN is using the spectrum assigned to it by the FCC, write them. Write to someone at Tribune Co. Write to your congressman or woman. But don't take for granted the hard work of the local production professionals who make these kind of shows possible.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Fran,

None of my commentary has been towards the individuals involved in doing the work on the broadcast. It is towards the station itself. Show me where I've said anything negative about the people doing the work to deliver the broadcast.

For this broadcast to fall into my lap, I've had to:

1) Purchase a set top box capable of receiving the HD broadcast.

Cost (with Satellite box it attaches to), US$700

2) Have an OTA antenna installed to receive the broadcast.

Cost US$200 (install + hardware) on top of my two story house, 40 miles away.

3) Purchase an HD display.

Cost >US$3000

So, my out of pocket individually is >US$4K just so this broadcast could "fall into my lap".

We've earned our right to complain, we've invested and put our $$$ up to receive the broadcasts.

I have written virtually and with pen and ink to my congressional representative.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.