AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally posted the thread titled, "Replay bankrupt. Panasonic to build TiVo units." to highlight just how ignorant the average electronics salesperson can be. Judging by the number of views, it caught ALOT of attention. (Nice feature of the new software, by the way!) Unfortunately, Robman re-labelled it a "joke," so others thought I was trying to be funny. There's nothing funny about it, though. I deleted the post, rather than be judged a prankster.

I was hoping to start a dialog to discuss what the current owners and replaysteve could do to combat this ignorance. SonicBlue doesn't need this kind of FUD flying around when they're on the brink of launching the next generation of PVR. They need to mount a media blitz in the proper circles so that the intended market is well acquainted with the FACTS. It would be a shame if all the time spent developing it went down the drain because potential buyers were afraid of not having any service or support two years down the road. Let's face it, if you had 2 grand to spend for high-end AV equipment, you wouldn't bet it on the horse rumored to have an endurance problem.

They also need to have a serious talk with Panasonic about putting some of its 800 gorilla pounds behind marketing the ShowStopper. We, the current owners of the 2XXX and 3XXX units, are most affected by the success of the ShowStopper units since they are the only current retail version that uses the same software. All the "sky-is-falling" talk that starts flying around here could come true if Panasonic suddenly decides to give up on Replay technology. As long as the current ShowStopper is selling, there will be an incentive to fix bugs and advance the software.

My 3060 works great. I wouldn't give it up for any other PVR. Does it still have bugs? Yep. It's even started to stutter in the last couple months. Are there features I'd like to see? Yep. There are a number of current features that I could live without in exchange for more desired ones, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them. Posts by replaysteve suggest that pre-4000 owners are SOL for new features and that resources are focused on getting the 4000 units to market rather than fixing the CC bug or improving conflict notification. Personally, I don't see the market for the 4000 units as being large enough to justify the dedication of resources, but that's probably why I'm an engineer and not a marketeer. Panasonic's production of the ShowStopper is helping to pay the bills for the Replay team and keep our "lifetime" subscription alive. As long as salespeople steer customers away from viable products, though, the future is pretty gray. Who is going to suggest to the homeowner building a high-end home theater that he needs a couple 4080 units?

Maybe, just maybe, some of us here could conjure up some suggestions to manage the FUD. The ReplayGuys who still participate here might even be willing to bring up the ideas at the next product planning meeting. Not only would they be representing the user base, but they'd be protecting their own jobs.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Just for the record, I fully understand the reasoning behind the thread in question and support any efforts to improve the knowledge base of sales people, but I also know that there will be people who will just scan the subject list of threads without actually reading them, and the subject of that thread, while certainly an attention grabber, could also be a FUD-starter.

I added [JOKE] to the title as I couldn't think of anything better at the time, but I felt that the subject had to be changed in some way to indicate that the subject title wasn't in fact true.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.