AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to place my order for Panny 50PX500. Dealer offers "White Glove Delivery" for $125 over curbside. I must decide which to use.

I live in a condo, 6th Floor, so I would have to haul the box up into the freight elevator to my unit, with curbside, no big deal for me. Inside delivery offers the opportunity to see the unit after they unpack it and plug it in to see if it lights. Maybe with the usual tip, I can get them to stay long enough to tune in a few stations.

What has been the experience with you recent buyers with both deliveries, which do you recommend? Should I splurge with the extra $125 cost or not worry and go curbside??

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deharry
Ready to place my order for Panny 50PX500. Dealer offers "White Glove Delivery" for $125 over curbside. I must decide which to use.

I live in a condo, 6th Floor, so I would have to haul the box up into the freight elevator to my unit, with curbside, no big deal for me. Inside delivery offers the opportunity to see the unit after they unpack it and plug it in to see if it lights. Maybe with the usual tip, I can get them to stay long enough to tune in a few stations.

What has been the experience with you recent buyers with both deliveries, which do you recommend? Should I splurge with the extra $125 cost or not worry and go curbside??
A big thing to ask about all this is will there white glove service go up and down stairs. I just ran into a big problem with this as most service places wont, Even white glove would not carry up or down the stairs. I couldnt believe it myself as I was going to be paying big money to have the white glove delivery. If you can carry it up yourself I would skip the white glove delivery all togeather. Im only on a second floor condo. I was amazed that they wouldnt do it for the money I was paying. I ended up canceling my order and going with a flat panel that I could carry up the stairs myself. If you do go with it just make sure you ask if they carry up and down stairs.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You can probably convince the delivery guy to bring the unit to your condo rather than leaving it at the curb, especially if you offer him a tip of $20 or so. (I assume you have access to an adequate freight elevator, or can use the regular passenger elevator. If delivering the TV will involve climbing six flights of stairs, then alll bets are off.)

For me, the option of having him unpack the unit, wait while you hook it up, and removing the packaging (which I'd want to keep, anyhow) would not be worth the extra $125. Most dealers will replace a truly DOA unit, including pickup and delivery, and that is the major risk you'd be taking. (Check with your dealer to find out what his policy is.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most dealers, have told me that if the PD is DOA, I must deal with Panny. Lets think, how common would a DOA incidence be? Assuming there is no apparent box damage, I would be better off offering the driver $20 for some beers, and have him help me bring it up into the elevator.

I would open it later, and keep the packaging in the storage area.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deharry

Find out if this vendor will allow the "White Glove Delivery" guys will put the plasma back in the box and take it back if it turns out to be defective when they turn it on. If so, then it may be worth it. I know with CC's WGD the guys will pack it back up and take it away if it melts down upon power-up. Some of the other vendors i called said if they turn it on and it's defective, i have to deal with Panasonic. I didn't like that which is one of the reasons i went with CC and they're $39 WGD (which i got rebated so it ended up free).

Oh and when you first set the Panny up and connect the HD antenna, you have to go into the Setup menu, select ANTENNA, and initiate channel scan which took almost a half hour when i did mine. Dunno if the boys are gonna want to wait that long. Maybe have a VCR and DVD player all set up and ready to connect to the display and check it's operation that way.

If they're just glorified freight truck drivers and aren't authorized to take the defective unit back downstairs to their truck then you're probably just better off renting a couple of furniture dollys for cheap and have have the truck drivers set the box on the dollys at the curb, then you can simply roll it into the elevator and into your condo.

http://www.vandykes.com/images/products/02003331-lg.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.