AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Sony KDF55WF655, which I bought new in 2004, I've recently encountered the "blinking lights of death," where the screen suddenly goes black for 25 seconds, comes back on for 30 seconds, goes black again, comes on again, etc. Then, it would just stay black until I'd try again hours later.

While it was under warranty (two months before it ran out, in fact), the color engine and bulb were replaced. Now, 1.5 years later, the blinking lights thing is happening, and I thought that was it, that I'd have to buy a new set.

Some other users have said their TV's never recovered and the screen remained black - but I think I may have found a cure. The screen went black for the first time about three months ago, and at that time I took a can of compressed air and sprayed it in the back of the set, where the fans are located. The set came back on immediately, and has stayed on until this week. Black again, I sprayed compressed air in the back and it's been on ever since.

I wonder if a small amount of dust on a certain part is causing the system to fail. Anyway, for my system, this seems to work. For how long, I don't know. But it beats spending hundreds of dollars for a service call. Last time, the service center said they'd have to take my TV into the shop for a couple of weeks, which is what prompted me to try a few things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This problem is caused by the lamp failing.

As the lamp ages it gradually draws more current to generate the light.

The fault trip is intentionaly set a bit on the low end so you can replace the lamp before you loose the use of your tv entirely.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Totally agree, lamp failing causes this symptom on Sony's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.