AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currenty at the NAB trade show and found and interesting remote that solves the problem with the samsungs lack of discrete codes. The guy I spoke with was well aware of the problem and said they definitely had the only solution to it. The remote is the harmony remote, http://www.harmonyremote.com/ its a fully programmable remote that uses a web interface to program your remote- i have to say i was quite impressed. you tell the remote what you want to do, ie play a dvd, watch satelite etc... well it then changes all your settings- turns the dvd player on, the vcr off, changes the input etc. well since it knows what mode you are in, it has the ability of knowing how many presses of the "input select" button it needs to get to component 1 in or s video in. make sense? i dont work for these guys or anything, but i was really impressed. the remote is very well designed and has great tactile buttons unlike my pronto.

anyway, something to check out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Harmoney remote. It works great! I would also add that the customer support is very good. The web site you use to program the remote has improved a great deal over the last year. The only remote I have ever had that I like better is my Beo4, then again B&O has been doing 'Activity' base systems for decades now...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
My understand is that the problem with these memory-state remotes is that they can become unsynced. If you point the thing away from the screen and it thinks it is turning the TV off, from then out it will have on/off backwards.

Has a cure been found for this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
The harmony remote has a 'help' button. When you press it it goes through all of the currently active states and asks you if it is set to the right input, output or mode. You keep saying no until it is correct they you can say yes when It has the right setting. You can exit if everything is fine at that point or it continue on with the next setting. If it has discrete codes for a given state the harmony remote will send the discrete code before it asks you if the input, output or mode is correct.

I have found that this help button works very well for the couple of times a week that I have a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.