AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understood the 5k series can't support the dual drive systems.. so I guess what I'm asking is do you guys think the 5320 is being delayed due to the need for 320gb discs being available in quantity or is it that the 5k doesn't support two 160's running at once and they need to get 2 drive functionality into the unit.

I'm thinking it's the wait for the 320gb drives personally. But I'm hoping it's a wait for two drive functionality in the 5k series, maybe even backwards compatable so the 5040 owners can get a new image or something to support two drives in the future...

or maybe I made no sense at all!

Cyrl

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well... for starters it wasn't my point at all =P For a secnond reason not to, activation, do you really want to activate 2 units unless you have a need for two, I already get more tv than I can watch with a single 80 gig drive in my 5040, I was merely posing the question because I was wondering what's holding up the 320 hour units... if I wanted a bigger drive I'd go and buy a 250 gig drive, pop it in my 5040 and toss the 80 I have in there now into my second PC. Really the only reason I'd want bigger drives is so I could record in HQ at all times for direct authoring to DVD from the extracted MPG's.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrl
...if I wanted a bigger drive I'd go and buy a 250 meg drive, pop it in my 5040 and toss the 80 I have in there now into my second PC. Really
Geez that's really going all out??

(however it takes over 500 megs to even boot the OS) ;)

Go for 200 or 250 GB? (wink)

On topic... one drive is better than 2 in my experience now that we have such large inexpensive drives available. :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I think it's a safe guess that the 5320's won't be available until the 320GB drives are available. And I definitely agree with KenL; a single drive system is always preferable to a dual drive system. As far as I'm concerned, a dual drive system is twice as likely to crash. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Geez that's really going all out??

(however it takes over 500 megs to even boot the OS) ;)

Go for 200 or 250 GB? (wink)

On topic... one drive is better than 2 in my experience now that we have such large inexpensive drives available. :)
Meg, who said meg... *whistles innocently* damn nitpick readers =P and I agree with you Ken, single drive is the way to go, but I was just wondering how they plan to do the 320's, it seems "bad" business announcing a product based on a product that doesn't exist yet, then using it in ALL your advertising for "specs"... but hey, I guess MS and Intel etc etc have been doing it for years why not RTV =) I can't imagine the point of buying a 5160 or 5080 over the 5040, since when you factor in the price of the 40 gig your yanking out the price of the 5040 plus whatever drive you want to use has got to be cheaper than buying the other units.... that all being if you are willing to "void your warrenty" I suppose if the stock drive would sit on your shelf there is a reason to go bigger out of the box ut hell I can use as many extra Hard drives as I can get in my PC's

·
Registered
510 Posts
We've slipped over the years. IBM used to make 5-platter IDE drives. We want 400GB...

Heck why not bring back the 5.25" HDDs...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember the Bigfoot drive series years ago, massive capacity at the cost of size and speed. Big 5 1/4 inch full height drives with massive (for then) capacity...

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrl
From what I understood the 5k series can't support the dual drive systems..
They can't currently, and it appears doubtful they will.

1) 160 gb drives have been available for some time and are used in a 4320 and 4532, if they wanted to go the dual drive route, I think they could have.

2) There is no second drive power connector on the power supply, nor are there markings where one could be placed.

3) 320 gb drives still aren't available from Maxtor, and that appears to be the hold up on 5320's.

4) Since really big drives are now becoming available, there's no longer a need for two drives to achieve large storage capacity.

Just my $.02 worth.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes, and it didn't work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow! I had no idea.

I've bought several for Christmas.

Where can I buy some cheap 4504s?