AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. With all those who have built horn/waveguide based mains, be that Geddes, Econowave, QSC, etc, what are you guys using for surrounds?

I have my eye on QSC ADS52. I haven't read anything about them though.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
For music or home theater? If for multi-channel music, then I'd try to match the front speakers as closely as possible.

For home theater, just run whatever sounds good. I've used a cheap pair of Sony speakers for awhile now. My long term plans are to build something nice. But in my experience, you don't need anything fancy.

I have found though, that I prefer directional speakers. I don't like soft surround that just barely fills in the rear sound. I like rear speakers that really provide excitement from the sides/back with a bit of directionality. I wasn't able to get that with dipoles which made it sound like sounds were coming from "just somewhere" behind me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am running the 4.2 Evid for the rear surround (7.1) choice in my system.

This is the 6.2 and they run around 300 per pair. Good efficency and they sound great!

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=128

Of course the best choice is two more DIY EW to match the rest

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been running 2 channel HT for years. I use a Onkyo NR-905 receiver but never really bothered with surround sound. I still may not go with a center since I only ever watch movies with one other person and the two channels are sufficient.

I just like to watch concert DVDs and like the enveloping sound that surround can do when its done right. Its a bit more convincing of being there if it was mixed well. I have an awkward placement, but it may work well afterall.

I am just browsing at the moment to see what is out there. I am nearing completion on my Abbey clone speakers (bought the waveguide from Geddes but built my own speakers with them using the TD12M). Next, I need to finish my subs.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne
I am running the 4.2 Evid for the rear surround (7.1) choice in my system.

This is the 6.2 and they run around 300 per pair. Good efficency and they sound great!

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=128

Of course the best choice is two more DIY EW to match the rest

Jeff

Those look like an excellent choice, thanks! I do like that they are an MTM, which for me means I can turn them on their side and limit the width of pattern as they are going to be placed semi near the near wall. I have a very tall ceiling, especially relative to the depth of seating, so this pattern should work well.

I've been eyeing the QSC AD-S52, the Krix Phonix, JBL AC15 and even considering building my own (I don't need another project right now). I am just looking to do a thorough search before pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although, I see prices for the 6.2s around 475-500/pr not $300/pr unless I am missing a good bargain somewhere.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm using home-made omnidirectional speakers (active, a little similar to Linkwitz Plutos, but different tweeter arrangement) for the surrounds. Fronts are Ewaves made using QSC in Advent cabinets. They all work together quite nicely.

·
Registered
526 Posts
 This thread was born out of a desire for smaller Ewaves that could potentially be used as surrounds. Within are many designs that work quite nicely.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykz34 /forum/post/19513689

Semi-expensive, but how about a coax with a compression driver: http://www.usspeaker.com/B&C-8CX21-1.htm 94dB sensitivity.

It was considered, but the depth of those speakers is the rub. Depth is the worst dimension to go big with for me.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19513958

I've actually given a little thought to trying the HSU in-walls as the wides in a 9.2 with my 4Pi's as the mains. $299 for the pair.

Keep in mind that speaker uses a horn loaded dome tweeter.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh /forum/post/19507320

I am curious. With all those who have built horn/waveguide based mains, be that Geddes, Econowave, QSC, etc, what are you guys using for surrounds?

I have my eye on QSC ADS52. I haven't read anything about them though.

I'm building a quad of large sort of 3 way Ewaves. I considered the 8CX21 with a JBL 15 handing the midbass, but my first pair went missing, so I'm using what I have to hand (JBL, B&C, AE and 18Sound components) to not spend any more money. As the 135mm depth of the 8CX21 is too great for you, I won't give any further details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/19511360

For music or home theater? If for multi-channel music, then I'd try to match the front speakers as closely as possible.

For home theater, just run whatever sounds good. I've used a cheap pair of Sony speakers for awhile now. My long term plans are to build something nice. But in my experience, you don't need anything fancy.

I have found though, that I prefer directional speakers. I don't like soft surround that just barely fills in the rear sound. I like rear speakers that really provide excitement from the sides/back with a bit of directionality. I wasn't able to get that with dipoles which made it sound like sounds were coming from "just somewhere" behind me.

By and large I agree and as I like both multichannel music and movies, I'm setting up for music and letting the HT results fall where they may. I experimented some time ago with bipoles, dipoles, omnis and controlled directivity types and preferred the latter so I'm not concerned that I won't like the results.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, 135mm is only ~5.5", which isn't a deal killer but it means the total speaker depth is likely to be >8" in all practicality. I'd say that I'd like to keep to that or less.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh /forum/post/19514926

Well, 135mm is only ~5.5", which isn't a deal killer but it means the total speaker depth is likely to be >8" in all practicality. I'd say that I'd like to keep to that or less.

If you look at the drawing, the depth is from the front of the flange to the back of the CD housing, so the only extra depth you need is for the rear panel of the enclosure, say 18mm.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I shot you off a PM for a set used and a new set I found with google.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I built a set of E-wave 10's to pair up with my QSC-2150's.

They sound really good and if my host would ever come back on line you could look at them in my sig.

·
Registered
472 Posts
what did you decide?

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
considering that I had most of the parts already on hand, I ordered the 18Sound XT1086 waveguides to make Econowave Delite 10Es. They are a little bigger than I had originally planned but I think I can make them seem reasonable.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cool, well make sure you post how they worked

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts