AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, maybe this has been discussed before, and if so please close this thread, but I'm curious as to what the official pitch was for the name "X360." At one point I thought I had read something about 360 degrees of freedom in movement or something like that.

The reason I ask is that it seems to me it has more to do with marketing, and that Microsoft didn't want to have a "2" something out there while Sony has a "3" something. This way the "average" consumer sees a "3" on both products which makes them essential equal.

I'll be picking up both, so please I have no alternative motive about this other than to find out how the name came about. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think your dead on about the "2" thing.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You are right about not wanting the 2 versus Sony having a 3, as consumers might think that since 3 is greater than 2, it must be better.

Microsoft came up with the number 360 because they said the XBOX will offer entertainment that revolves around you. Hence, 360 degrees.

The problem that Microsoft has with this new name is what will they call their next console? The XBOX 720? It doesn't make sense.

Also, the problem with the 360 degree thing is that if you move 360 degrees, you end up in the exact same spot you started. That's not necessarily a spot Microsoft wants to be in since they would like to see some profit this next generation. ;)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They wanted to reflect how much its going to cost to buy 6 of those $60 dollar games. Hence: Xbox $360

·
Registered
102 Posts
My impression was that Microsoft chose the name because it is supposed to be an all encompassing multimedia system (360) not just a game consoled.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I thought it was going the be the price of the console itself.

Luckily, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Scott

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I thought they wanted to name it revolution but Nintendo announced it first and then someone said a full revolution is a 360

:)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF
The reason I ask is that it seems to me it has more to do with marketing, and that Microsoft didn't want to have a "2" something out there while Sony has a "3" something. This way the "average" consumer sees a "3" on both products which makes them essential equal.
If that is true then why not just use the name Xbox next? Or even NEXT BOX.

Technically the consumer isn't seeing "3" on both they will see PS3 and Xbox 360 which I guess is higher than just 3.

I think like any product they sat down and hashed out marketing and arrived at the most common denominator.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF
Yup, that's it. When parents (and other uninformed shoppers) are deciding which console to buy for little Timmy, MS doesn't want to be perceived as being a step behind $ony.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
They should have named it Xbox 4, which would have so tripped out Sony. Grandma's across the country would have bought those 4's like there is no heaven for them without it as it surpasses the almighty 3!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope
They should have named it Xbox 4, which would have so tripped out Sony. Grandma's across the country would have bought those 4's like there is no heaven for them without it as it surpasses the almighty 3!
No, if Microsoft were REALLY smart they would have called the next Xbox "Playstation 4." :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.