AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering who out there uses an external scaler with their HD-2 projectors and what kind of difference to you see between the internal and external

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've seen a lot of the Sharp 10K lately and the PFP11 Runco processor it is paired with does seem to add a three dimensionality to the image that is very CRT-like. Impressive. Expensive, but impressive.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I found the image from my HTPC connected via DVI to the Sharp 10k to be superior to my RP82 hooked up via component (progressive or interlaced). The HTPC was much clearer, and like PF said, it had a more 3D appearance. I'd say it's worth the extra cost if the processor is up to task. However, the Sharp is one of the few projectors that can properly deinterlace 1080i without throwing away half the resolution in the process by bobbing to 540p. Most external scalers can't even do this yet. Therefore, running HD directly into the Sharp is a better solution unless you're using one of the newer scalers that properly deinterlaces 1080i, such as the HD Leeza.

I got rid of the Sharp because I'm apparently super sensitive to rainbows, but it's a great projector otherwise.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
My Sharp 10K internally processor does an excellent job. I never notice any jaggies. However the one thing I do notice is with HD content during a pan at medium or high speed the pixels tend to group together during the pan.

This is not a digital break up- tough to explain - best way to put it is that for a few seconds during the pan it looks like you have a magnifying glass on the screen and the pixels have become larger. I'm expecting (hopefully rightfully so!) that with the HDLeeza this effect will go away entirely.

Other than that I never notice anything that looks scaling/deinterlacing related.

I have notice that playing a DVD over DVI from my PC creates a noticably sharper picture with another level of depth to it and overall perceived contrast seems higher. Again I'm hoping that the RP62->SDI->HDLeeza->DVI->Sharp 10K will at least equal or better what I get from the PC DVD player currently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.