AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a ton of threads on here and even asked one myself that did not spark much interest about what people should buy on a budget. I thought id try a different approuch and ask what all you experts would buy on a budget.

Im thinking of keeping this to a 5.1 set up with a receiver. Maybe at 2 budget price points. $1000 and $1500 which seems to be asked a lot here. I am a newbie when it comes to learning all this stuff and it can be very intimidating and daunting trying to sift through all of this info. I think this would help a lot of people out who come here looking for info that are on a budget to know what some of the more experienced users would buy if it was their money.

So lets do a format of:

Receiver:

Sub:

Center Audio:

L/R Audion:

Surrounds:

And list what you would buy yourself if you were stuck with a $1000 budget or $1500 budget. Total price needs to include shipping and sales tax if applicable since we dont want to go over the budgets.

Not sure if i should of posted this here or in the speaker section but i picked this one.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I couldn't live in that budget
But here are some ideas.

The Polk RM75 sattelite system for $400 would get you started. You can always upgrade speakers later, that's what I have done over the years. Crutchfield, which is often overpriced does offer a free PSW10 subwoofer with the purchase.

The PSW10 is not a great sub. If you are not a total fumble fingers, you can pick up a powered sub kit from Parts Express. They are nice to deal with. As I recall, all you had to do was cut and glue some foam over the inside of the box, and mount the plate amp. I believe I paid about $400 for my kit. I have heard of other people who have done this and been happy.

The Onkyo TXSR605 for approx $500, is a full featured HDMI 1.3 receiver. Please read the product related thread before buying, as I believe there have been some owner complaints. I believe Crutchfield does have a sale on this, I didn't check specific online pricing.

The Yamaha RX-V661 looks to be solid, but is more feature limited than the Onkyo. I think you may be getting a better quality unit in place of the extra features the Onkyo has. I am unsure of the price, but it should be in that $500 price range.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm like Michael, I couldn't live in this budget either. What I usually would recommend is, in a nutshell:

3 pairs of bookshelves (hey, 6.1 instead of 5.1, and less issue with lobing from center, at a lesser cost). The only thing you need to deal with is the height of an upright bookshelf for center.

The biggest, baddest sub you can afford.

Then, squeeze the receiver in. I would vote for either superceded, refurbished, or both. Stuff like Master Audio, HDMI 1.3, THX2 Select, etc is not going to do a whole lot until the stuff that matters is good enough... speakers and sub.

That could translate into something like:

3 pairs PSB B15, including shipping, $762. (Alternative could be Monitor Audio B1 $672).

For sub, I would keep eyes peeled for common sales at Outlaw, or B-stock SVS, (or Dayton or x-sub, if you were really penny pinching). Just get the biggest and baddest you can afford. Let's say roughly $500 inc shipping.

The rest of the change for a superceded receiver. Just any of the commonly regarded brands such as Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, HK, etc. I think I'd stay away from Sony, Panasonic, but maybe even those might work. With this budget, Id try to get a better amp section over features. (With my budget, I try to get both!). Something like $200 before shipping is a guess.

-jostenmeat

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
At that price point, buy used stuff on Craig's list.

Here's my system which I put together from stuff bought on Craig's list. The crown's were purchased new with the rebate offer. Everything totals to about $1200. This system sounds better in many ways to my $10K 2ch rig and can play louder than your ears can stand without an significant distortion.

Front speakers (no center) bi-amped with active crossover.

Altec 288 compression drivers on Manta Ray horns (500-15khz)

Two VMPS larger subs (500-16hz)

Behringer CX2310 two way crossover

Rear speakers - Polk Monitor 7A

AV pre pro - Denon AVP 8000

Power amps (3) Crown XLS 402'd with fan mods.

The down side is that the speakers are big and ugly.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Steve is either not married, or he has a very understanding partner

That's a unique setup, Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am no expert, but knowing what your components will be is important. Will this be for HT? If so do you have a HD TV in the system, and or how important is it to have the best video etc now.

I am trying to piece together a system off of craigslist as well as shopping for the best deal possible on-line and @ B&M's.

I found my 5.1 speaker set-up on craigs and had a friend who lives nearby pick it up for me to save on gas. I am really excited to get it here!

The set-up includes:

(2) Polk RTI6

(2) Polk RTI8

(1) Polk CSI3

(1) Polk PSW404

These ar ethe speakers I was just looking at on clearance at Fry's. Total price at Frys was going to be almost $1000. I got it for about 1/3 of that. Only thing I want to upgrade is the sub, but it will do until I can find something else at a good deal.

I plan to use my current Pioneer D-606S until I decide which AVR to get. Especially within my budget. Which is tighter than yours. ($1500 for a 42"+ LCD and the complete HT set-up.) I think I am going to go over or be close after I sell my current items, which are about 10 yrs old.

Figuring the AVR for me is going to be the toughest part. I always want the best with a low price, which doesnt always work out. There are a few places with the SR605 on sale now for under $400. I use slickdeals to find the best prices on stuff. They always have alot of posts about all kinda of stuff. (I keep debating on it b/c I just cant spend that kind of $ and then have issues.)

Good luck and let us know what you decide and why.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12898079

Steve is either not married, or he has a very understanding partner

Haha! Yes, my long suffering wife is very understanding and she says the horns look like they came from WWII POW camp.

Long term plan is to use the 288 compression drivers as part of a DIY 3 or 4 way horn loaded system.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Paradigm yet?

$1500, let alone $1000 is a bit too restrictive, but I would do the following:

Front L/R, Center, and Surrounds : 3 pairs of Paradigm Atom Monitor V.5 ($200/pair on the street from an authorized dealer). You can use the 6th speaker as the rear center surround in a DTS-ES or Dolby Digital EX setup.

Sub: Paradigm PDR-8 (about $300 from same authorized dealer)

Now you've got $600 left for a receiver: Yamaha RX-V1700 on clearance, B-stock, or used

It wouldn't be the best sounding setup, but easily falls within your budget and would sound quite respectable for both movies and music.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts