AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is screen material made to allow for a front projector to throw the image from behind a screen.

What I'm wondering is, if you were to place a piece of plastic or acrylic on the front of that screen, how would it look?

What I'm getting at is similar to a rear projection TV. The TV projects the image against the back of the screen, and has a plastic cover on the front to protect the screen. This also makes the image somewhat "shiny" in appearance. I know this isn't good for angled viewing, but I have to wonder how it would look for the front projector application?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The "shiny" screen cover is plexiglass/acrylic, I believe. I have been thinking of doing rear projection just like this too. I want to be able to watch with a bit more ambient light (that's the reason I want to do rear projection).

I may make my own screen though. I'm thinking of painting the back of a plexiglass/acrylic sheet with 2 layers of translucent paint. The first layer would be translucent silver, the second layer a translucent light grey. Or I may just go with just silver or a silver/grey combination. I may make a thin semi opaque clear layer in the front to prevent light washout by diffusing lamp light before it hits the picture. I'm not sure which I'll do, but I'm planning to experiment later whenever I move.

You may not want to make your own though, so you'll want to check out Da-Lite or Draper screens. They will be a lot more expensive and I'm not sure if they will be as good as DIY screen could be.

I knew some places where you can get plexiglass/acrylic sheeting, but I'l have to find it. When I do I'll post the link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.