AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone has come across this one before and if so what can be done. my htpc won't boot without an internet connection anymore! i have @home cable modem service and windows won't boot pass the windows 98 screen without the ethernet cable connected or the cable modem on. once the ethernet cable is connected, the desktop comes on, otherwise the windows 98 screen just stays on forever! i can then remove the ethernet cable after the desktop comes up and everything runs fine without an internet connection. i've removed everything i can think of that wants to connect to the internet at startup, run anti virus software and all to no avail. i've got nothing running in the autoexec.bat and just the basic cdrom, himem stuff in the config.sys. any suggestions?

asus p3bf

pIII 550

win98se

384 mb pc100

visiontek gf2 gts

smc ez10 nec

@home cable modem

soundblaster live

geneva bt878 capture card

toshiba dvd

yamaha cdrw

um 16:9hdtv

[This message has been edited by mchen22 (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you're hanging at the Win98 boot screen, it sounds like something is up with the DHCP client on your machine. DHCP is how @home assigns an IP address to your machine. You can test this by disabling DHCP temporarily:

First, right-click on Network Neighborhood and choose Properties. (Or go to Network in the Control Panel.)

Now you have the Network Properties window open. Double-click on TCP/IP.

Currently it says Obtain an IP address automatically. You want to change that to Specify an address. Just set it to 192.168.0.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 for now.

Ok the changes, rebooting as prompted. Once that's done, reboot w/o your network cable plugged in and see if it still hangs up. If that fixes it, you may be able to fix the problem by removing all the network components and the network card from the device manager, then letting Windows reinstall it. You have to run DHCP for @home to work though.

Let me know if that's not clear.

-will

------------------

No man has enough luck to save himself from his fellow man

--Combustible Edison

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks hepcat, manually assigning the ip address did the trick with the boot up without a network connection. but since i can't have an internet connection with @home if it's not set on automatic, i guess i'll have to leave things as is. this is one of the dumber things i've ever come across. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It should be fixable if you need to have your system boot w/o a network connection. You may be able to just extract the DHCP client .DLL using the System File Checker.

In the Run dialog, type SFC.

Choose Extract one file from installation disk and type "DHCPCSVC.DLL".

Type the path to your Win98 install files in the "Restore from" box. The "Save file in" box should have the path to your Windows\\System directory, probably C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM.

Let it back the file up, and overwrite if prompted for confirmation.

That should fix it. If it doesn't then reinstalling your network adapter driver most likely would.

-will

------------------

No man has enough luck to save himself from his fellow man

--Combustible Edison

·
Registered
569 Posts
You also might try shutting down your PC and cable modem for 15 minutes, plug back in your cable modem and let it connect, and then bring up your PC.

Hepcat is probably on the right track, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.