AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Mitsubishi xd300u. I am in the market for an upgrade and Im looking at the benq 8700.

Im a bit worried about the lumens. I am used to my mitsu which is rated at 2100 lumens.

Its in a light controled room and it is basically a dedicated theater, but I have a few football parties and stuff where I have some ambient light. Would this pj be too dim?

I will be using a 105" wide (16:9) screen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe it depends on the nature of your lighting. Football games are pretty well lit and shadow detail relatively unimportant. They can tolerate much more ambient light than movies.

I am using the BenQ with a 110 inch 1.0 gain screen in a light controlled room with dark walls and white ceiling. My lighting includes directional track lights on the seating areas 12 to 18 feet away from screen. The five 20 watt track lights have dark globes to prevent light scatter. As long the room is dimmed and there is no other direct light on the screen, I can adequately light the seating areas with the track lights and still have an engaging football experience. Nonetheless, a higher gain screen is preferable and if you want the room well lit a brighter projector may be a better choice.

Bernie

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
The Benq with a High Power screen makes sense as it is retro-reflective and will be brighter for those standing vs. sitting (sitting is still okay). It will do a pretty good job of light rejection off angle because of this as well. I think the useful lumens is more like 600 through, so you might want to consider that if you had a light bucket previously. Bob

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could always go the Firehawk route... many say it has the best ambient light rejection out there.

Also, IMO, the BenQ's blacks are noticably improved with the FH, especially when reflected light from the screen bounces back onto the image. With the FH, the blacks stay black.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Watch the lumens on this baby; although Steve Smallcombe measured about 600 with his, I measured 464 on my new one this weekend, white level calibrated with Avia, color temp 2. CR measured very close to his numbers. I'm assuming we have similar lightmeters, as I'm using his SMART III package.

It has many excellent attributes; high light output isn't one of them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.