AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own an RCA DTC-100 and am curious if anyone has opinions on whether upgrading to one of the new units like the Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc. provides valuable upgrades in performance or functionality.

Has anyone done direct comparisons between the DTC-100 and the others? Are there significant differences in picture quality? Or is it more about features?

I definitely need the ability to have the sidebars as black so if any of these only provide grey, they are out. I have an LCD front projector so "burn in" isn't a problem. My projector requires a 480i, 540p or 1080i input so whatever box I get must be able to be configured to convert 480p and 720p to 1080i (or 540p).

One thing I dislike about the DTC-100 is the inability to get rid of the analog channels in the lineup. Do these others provide for that?

How good is the APG in any of these units? That would be a nice functionality upgrade.

Are these units faster in changing channels than the DTC-100 is?

If anyone has gone from a DTC-100 to one of these others I'd love to hear why they did it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I had the DTC-100 and switched to the DST3000(Hughes boxes). It has a better APG and menu system(quicker, but this is personal preference). It Combines the channels in one guide and give the OTA channels program info. It also allows you to get rid of channels you don't want(I have removed all the OTA analog channels but kept the HD and DirecTV locals). It also passes all sounds thru the digital outputs(some of the other boxes only pass sound thru the Optical output if its digital only). I did run a side by side test of the boxes. I thought the Panny had a slightly better picture then the rest followed by the Hughes boxes(DST3000), RCA and then the Sony. The DTC-100 softens the picture a little and it also has a brighter output. The Sony seemed to be a little off picture wise and it brightened the picture on some channels yet darkened them on others, making it hard to tune your TV(this might have been fixed by now).

·
Registered
856 Posts
"One thing I dislike about the DTC-100 is the inability to get rid of the analog channels in the lineup"

Here's how to get rid of them:

Be sure you remember the actual channel numbers for the channels you DO want to keep (For example, I only wanted 20-1, 30-1, 31-2, and 42-1). Clear all the current channels by doing a channel search with your antenna(s) unplugged. If this is done correctly, NO channels should show up. Plug your antenna back in. Manually key in the channel numbers you DO want, but DONT do another channel search.

Now you have the choice of manually entering in the channel you want, OR using the channel up or channel down buttons, and unless you add any analog channel, you wont have any in your system.

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carbo: thanks. Does the Toshiba allow selection of black side bars (vs. grey)? Does it allow a fixed output of 1080i? Have there been firmware upgrades and/or mail in fixes for the Toshiba that I'd need to be aware of if I were to buy one (especially used)?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question, if I were to buy another receiver to replace my DTC-100, can I take my access card from my DTC-100 and use it in the new receiver? Or how does that work since I'd have a virgin card in my new receiver and an already programmed one in my old one? Could I put the virgin card in my DTC-100 and sell it that way which would be more attractive to buyers?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WynsWrld98:
One more question, if I were to buy another receiver to replace my DTC-100, can I take my access card from my DTC-100 and use it in the new receiver? Or how does that work since I'd have a virgin card in my new receiver and an already programmed one in my old one? Could I put the virgin card in my DTC-100 and sell it that way which would be more attractive to buyers?
Nope; you use the new access card and unless you are arranging to have two active receivers, the other one would be taken off their list of receivers (you'll need to give the product Serial, etc again for the new box to get it registered at DTV).

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You can use your existing card and have DirectV marry the old HU to the new receiver and put the virgin card in the DTC-100 and sell it. I have done it three times when I got my 38" TV with a built in Dtc-100. Beware once you active any new cards it is you card for life. DirectV will usually not let another person active an used card.

Just remember one thing the DTC-100 is one of the few receivers that can decode the PSIP for the local stations, if they are broadcasting it (complete program guide).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wayne

While helping my neighbor set up his Mits 55907 for OTA, we had the RCA, Mits and Sony STB's available. I for one didn't see any discernible differences between the image quality, but then again I don't have a "trained" eye. One surprise was that the OTA signal strength dropped dramatically when I switched to the Sony unit. Strong 80's and 90's using the RCA and Mits STB's (using the Hovermann we tried out on your roof), however.

My personal opinion is that there's no real need to "upgrade" unless the minor bells and whistles that come with the newer units are worth $800 to you. Beyond that, my DTC100 has been a solid workhorse going on 3 years now.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WynsWrld98:
...I definitely need the ability to have the sidebars as black so if any of these only provide grey, they are out. I have an LCD front projector so "burn in" isn't a problem. ....
This is not a problem with the DTC-100. There is a menu itel to turn off the grey bars. If you have the latest firmware version it is in a user menu. If you have an old version of fimrware, it is in the service menu.

Rick

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wireheadrick: I have them as black on my DTC-100 but want to make sure any other receivers people recommend also have the ability to have the sidebars as black.

For example, can the sidebars be set black on the Toshiba DST-3000?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
You can use your existing card and have DirectV marry the old HU to the new receiver and put the virgin card in the DTC-100 and sell it.
You must get better DTV reps than the ones I deal with; they specifically wouldn't let me do this.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
WireheadRick -

I have the reverse problem. I have a DTC-100 running with a plasma and I very very much want to turn the side bars from black to gray to avoid burn-in (gray isn't an option on my plasma.)

I haven't found any options for side-bar colors in the user menus on my DTC-100, so I guess I have the "old" firmware (though the unit was new in April)

How do I access the service menu and change these?

[This message has been edited by Spoffo (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I don't know if the DST3000 has something that will do it in the service menu. But the standard menu only will give you grey bars.

Anyone know how to access the Hughes service menus?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo:
WireheadRick -

Firmware is updated via satellite connection. I'm assuming you're using your DTC100 strictly for OTA; otherwise you would have an updated firmware version by now. Just plug it into someone's dish overnight and you should get it.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo:
WireheadRick -

I have the reverse problem. I have a DTC-100 running with a plasma and I very very much want to turn the side bars from black to gray to avoid burn-in (gray isn't an option on my plasma.)

I haven't found any options for side-bar colors in the user menus on my DTC-100, so I guess I have the "old" firmware (though the unit was new in April)

[This message has been edited by Spoffo (edited 08-02-2001).]
Press INFO and DOWN simultaneously. Do this ONLY on the front panel of the DTC-100. I'll assume you already know how to naviagte the menus. Beside I have the newer firmware so I don't remmeber how to get to the grey bay menu in service mode. The newer firmware does it in user menu mode.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Wayne,

This has been discussed dozens of time. Some folks have done extensive comparisons. A search will really yield results.

BTW PSIP works on all the receivers I know of, just many stations don't send more than mapping yet.

The DST/Mits/Hughes have Advanced Programming Guide which really works well (particularly for all analog & digital stations (even without PSIP, and even without equivalent locals in guide).See also
http://www.theperfectvision.com/equi...isplays_15.htm

for 4 units reviewed.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Well, I guess I DO have the new firmware. I am connected to DTV and got a software update downloaded the night after I activated it.

Plus, I just looked at the service menus, and there's nothing remotely connected to the color of the side bars.

Promlem is, I can't find anything that sets the color of these bars anywhere in the user menus either. There are lots of options for displaying widescreen content if you're viewing on a 4:3 set. They are different for the HD output and the video output (HD offers "fill" and "full" options, video just offers cropped vs letterbox) The letterbox option gives you gray bars on the TOP and BOTTOM But I can't find any options at all for the side bars on 4:3 - - just screen-burning BLACK.

Where do you find these in your user menus?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'd stick with the DTC100 until this DVI/HDCP stuff becomes clearly defined and available.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks Rick. I finally found it late last night hiding in that improbable place in the "Assistance" menu. the problem was that gray had been selected "on" but hadn't taken effect for some reason. By chosing black, clicking through all the warnings, quitting, then going back and selecting gray, I was finally able to get them.

Of course, that turns out to be only a partial solution. It doesn't help with those digital OTA stations (virtually all of them here in SF) that float their 4:3 picture in the middle of a 16:9 frame, the same thing HBO does when it sends 4:3 material over 509. Since the black bars in this case are part of the transmitted "wide screen" picture, nothing I've seen offers a way to substitute gray bars.

I'll post that question as a new thread

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.