Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

Off the top of your head, what's the best available interlacing played in the market today?

Looking for an inexpensive player, meant to be used with a Sony 32 XBR.

Can take an inexpensive progressive player if it doesn't compromise I/L.

Reliability is a big plus.

Non-essential desirable features would be CD-R playing, HDCD, zone-free.

Can also use the info if a top model is discontinued but is available through ebay or similar.

Many, many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think it would help if you gave your preferred budget range. For about $180 one can get a Panny RP-56 or RP-62, and just use them in interlaced mode, plus you have progressive mode to compare against.

I've liked Pioneer DVD players due to their IMO solid firmware compared to competitors, a decent one at a decent price would be $180 for a DV-440. Don't get the 444 as that is reputed to be the worst progressive scan DVD player on the market, the 440 is interlaced only.

All models I mentioned have available or upcomming hacks, and all can read CD-Rs.

If you were expecting pricier options, I can't help there.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Jeff and thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, 180 US$ is in the range I want to spend. I wonder if there's a manufacturer that produces or has produced in the past a non-progressive player where the money was spent to optimize the interlaced PQ.

Do the RP-56 and the DV-440 provide close-to-optimum interlaced PQ? Which one is more reliable?

I'd guess interlaced is less susceptible to artifacts but I'm not really certain that's the case.

Many thanks again and regards.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Proufo,

Do you have to have a new unit? If not, you might want to treat yourself to what I understand may have been the best interlaced player for the money ever built - the no longer manufactured Panasonic RV80.

Try eBay - perhaps getting one for $100 - $150 would be easy.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
Do you have to have a new unit? If not, you might want to treat yourself to what I understand may have been the best interlaced player for the money ever built - the no longer manufactured Panasonic RV80.

Try eBay - perhaps getting one for $100 - $150 would be easy.
Yes, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Many, many thanks.

I just bookmarked one at ebay for $150, closing tonight. Steer clear my fellow forum members (please!), altough I'd guess all of you are heavily into progressive at this time.

If anyone here strongly disagrees with pnichols please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
But why are you (no better expression) so crazy about interlaced? I mean your TV can take progressive, right?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Apparently Sony's recent versions of "Dynamic Reality Creation" are getting enough good reputation.

For myself, I would still get a decent progressive unit and pick the output that works best, but then, I have a tendency to overduplicate, as I would soon be getting an HTPC to complement a progressive and an interlaced player.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Laarson
But why are you (no better expression) so crazy about interlaced? I mean your TV can take progressive, right?
Nope! (sigh)

If you see where I am located and has watched the news, this is not the right moment to get new gear

(sigh)

This is to replace my previous player that conked out.

Thanks to all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.