AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to start building my new dedicated cinema room. I'm using an M&K 150 THX system with an MX-350 subwoofer. I want to build a false wall to put my speakers and sound treatment behind but if the MX-350 sits behind the wall will come out too far.

I would get close to 2k in Australia if i sold the sub. I'm guessing 2k would get me good enough drivers and amps. I guess my question is, would that get me a big jump in impact over the sub i already have for movies? The M&K MX-350 is no slouch mind you, just too deep.

I'm thinking 2 x Tempest-X 15" or 4 x Shiva-X 12" in sealed boxes. No idea what amps to use yet. The boxes need to be pretty shallow (12" to 14"). I can get a fair bit of width and height though, maybe up to 3' x 3'. I'm going for sealed because i'm just not up to building a ported version. My room is 18'd x 12'w if that helps.

ANY comments or advice would be great!

·
Registered
433 Posts
14 x 36 x 36 would give you an internal volume of about 8 cubic feet, which is enough to make something work. There will be a big difference in low end output between a sealed and ported sub. Building a ported version is really quite simple when you think about it. If you can cut a hole for a sub, you simply cut another hole for the port.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm in the enviable position of receiving pre-made sub cabs, and I'll let you know this weekend how a Tempest-X does in 120L sealed box, albeit with only 100w driving. But that hasn't stopped me from researching enclosure options, if only so I understand the tradeoffs.

Unibox is not perfect, but once you input all the parameters for the right driver(s) you can see what box choices do to low-end response. My WAF makes 120l sealed box a tough sell, but in your case, I'd seriously consider an LLT design. It's big, it's ported, and it's nice to your drivers.

I'm told that sealed can only give good subsonic extension with proper equalilzation, and through Unibox, it's obvious that you need a lot of power to make up for what proper porting can give you for free. You still want EQ for room effects, but you're looking at, maybe, 3dB corrections in a big, ported enclosure, not 9dB at 15Hz in a 120L sealed box even after room gain is factored in.

For a dedicated cinema room, a ported enclosure isn't much added complexity, and payback is huge in several areas.

Frank

PS The cabs I'm getting are from someone who traded up from sealed boxes ... why not do it right the first time?

·
Registered
349 Posts
How did this go? I would think looking at the recommendations on there pdf file you need 500 watt amp but 150 liters seems to be in line with smaller sealed designs. DIYcable *.pdf suggests ported designs start at 240. Guessing that is a larger footprint then want you wanted to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts