AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘Cursed’: Devon Terrell, Gustaf Skarsgard, Lily Newmark & More Join Arthurian Netflix Series

Huzzah! Netflix has unveiled the cast for its forthcoming original series Cursed which will begin production this month. Joining previously announced Katherine Langford are Devon Terrell (Barry), Gustaf Skarsgård (Westworld, Vikings), Peter Mullan (Ozark), Lily Newmark (Temple, Sex Education), Shalom Brune-Franklin (The State, Our Girl), Daniel Sharman (Fear the Walking Dead, Medici), Sebastian Armesto (Poldark, Broadchurch), Emily Coates (Flack), Catherine Walker (Versailles, The Delinquent Season) and Billy Jenkins (The Crown, Holmes & Watson, Humans).

Last year, Deadline exclusively reported the news that comic book writer/artist Frank Miller and writer/producer Tom Wheeler were teaming for the original drama series. The streaming giant gave a 10-episode order to the project, which will be based on Miller and Wheeler’s upcoming illustrated book of the same name. It will be published in fall 2019 by Simon & Schuster. This is believed to be the first time the same creative team will be writing a book and TV series based on it simultaneously as they get to explore the characters from the book in more detail on screen.

Zetna Fuentes (Ray Donovan, Jessica Jones) is set to direct and serve as an executive producer on the first two episodes. The series is a re-imagining of the Arthurian legend, told through the eyes of the young woman, played by Langford, who would become the Lady of the Lake. Cursed explores timely, familiar themes including obliteration of the natural world, religious zeal and oppression, senseless war and finding the courage to lead in the face of the impossible.

Miller and Wheeler will serve as executive producers. Wheeler will also be showrunner and writer. Alex Boden (Sense8, Cloud Atlas) is producer and Silenn Thomas is co-executive producer.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/cursed-netflix-devon-terrell-gustaf-skarsgard-lily-newmark-peter-mullan-shalom-brune-ranklin-danielsharman-sebastian-armesto-emily-coates-billy-jenkins-1202568666/

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Small blurb, looks like filming will wrap this September.

Cursed (Netflix)
13 Reasons Why’s Katherine Langford is taking the lead in Netflix’s Cursed, which is based on the Lady of the Lake, the Arthurian legend. In a reimagining of the tale, Langford’s teen heroine and her “mysterious” gift are destined to become the Lady, and she unexpectedly teams up with “a young mercenary” named Arthur, after her mother dies, to find Merlin and give him his sword. This is less of a buddy comedy and more of a life-or-death quest.

What’s the production status? It’s chugging along! It’ll be filming until September, and other confirmed cast members include Devon Terrell and Gustaf Skarsgård. (Yup, those Skarsgårds.) Frank Miller (Sin City) and Tom Wheeler (Puss in Boots) are spearheading the adaptation.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Images in the article - link at the bottom

See Katherine Langford wield Excalibur in exclusive preview images from Netflix's Cursed

One of the key elements of Arthurian mythology is that King Arthur wields a magic sword called Excalibur. Where does he come by this sword? Sometimes he pulls it out of a stone, but most of the time Excalibur is given to him by a woman known as the Lady of the Lake, or Nimue, who is also the figure who eventually seals away the wizard Merlin after learning his magical secrets. But Netflix's upcoming fantasy series Cursed, based on the illustrated novel of the same name, changes up the dynamics of the myth. Here, it's Nimue (Katherine Langford) who must wield Excalibur to battle the forces of evil, as you can see in the exclusive preview images below.

Cursed was written by Tom Wheeler with illustrations by legendary comic artist (and occasional film director) Frank Miller, both of whom are executive producers of the series (with Wheeler serving as showrunner). Along with preview images from the show, EW also has an exclusive first look at the official tie-in cover for a new edition of the book.

“Realizing these characters from page to screen was a unique and thrilling creative challenge," Wheeler tells EW. "I think first and foremost when casting for Cursed, Frank and I were looking for a mythological truth, actors who could bring the emotion and the humanity to legendary characters without losing the sense of elemental magic and epic stakes. Led by Katherine Langford, who is equal parts classic hero and sword-swinging badass, this extraordinary cast has brought such depth, commitment, and heart to this story. We can’t wait to introduce them to audiences around the world.”

In addition to Langford, Cursed also stars Devon Terrell as Arthur, a charming mercenary Nimue meets on the road who has a very normal name and is surely nothing more than he seems. The land is ruled by King Uther Pendragon, who allows fanatical Red Paladins to roam the land crucifying villages of people as heretics. Get a taste of them all below before Cursed premieres on Netflix this summer.

https://ew.com/tv/katherine-langford-excalibur-exclusive-preview-netflix-cursed/

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
From Frank Miller and Thomas Wheeler, Cursed is a reimagining of the Arthurian legend told from the perspective of Nimue (Katherine Langford)...all episodes of Cursed arrive July 17th on Netflix...

has that Frank Miller '300' cinematography...

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This looks absolutely stunning. Can't wait to watch this. Sooo hoping it keeps that vibe from the trailer and doesn't go into a teen angst story like so many other shows out there.

Bonus - Floki from Vikings!

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Looks sooooo good. Can't wait.
I don't know. I get serious Letter for the King vibes from this trailer, and that was a pretty big turkey.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
I don't know. I get serious Letter for the King vibes from this trailer, and that was a pretty big turkey.
I'm also not feeling it at all...looks like a CW Hercules/Xena copycat trying to capture the 90210 young adult demo...Frank Miller's involvement is the only thing that has me slightly interested

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It better not!

The trailer looks like the 300, which is a far cry from Letter for the King. But knowing Netflix, it will become a teen angst show yet again.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
I don't honestly understand why anyone thought The Lady of the Lake needed a reboot in the first place. And how is notorious misogynist Frank Miller the right guy to do such a thing?

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't honestly understand why anyone thought The Lady of the Lake needed a reboot in the first place. And how is notorious misogynist Frank Miller the right guy to do such a thing?
Her backstory in various literature works is not even that impressive. Since I have a thing for medieval stuff (you should see a room I have in the house decorated with all medieval items, e.g. armor, dozens of swords, maces, lances, spears, etc.) I am just hoping they do it good and it is not a CW like show.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Looks like a bad video game to me.

Also seems a bit of an odd choice of subject matter for an Arthurian reboot as well. I would have greatly preferred an adaptation of Cornwell's Warlord chronicles... which kind of fits with Netflix since they are doing his Saxon chronicles (I think with the BBC). But I guess instead we get this.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
Looks like a bad video game to me
Netflix puts out so much content that people forget that most of it is garbage...there are some quality series but when you look at the total number of shows released to hits ratio, it is not good...Netflix has been on top for so long that they are getting complacent...Amazon Video, Disney+ and HBO Max are going to catch and probably surpass them in a few years

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Netflix puts out so much content that people forget that most of it is garbage...there are some quality series but when you look at the total number of shows released to hits ratio, it is not good...Netflix has been on top for so long that they are getting complacent...Amazon Video, Disney+ and HBO Max are going to catch and probably surpass them in a few years

Not sure if that many people forget that netflix is full of mostly garbage. Whenever I hear of a new netflix series nowadays, my first inclination is it'll be terrible.

I don't even subscribe to netflix in a normal way (haven't for a while) due to the fact there simply is nothing worthwhile to watch. Instead I do the 2x bluray a month, and like 2-3 times a year activate streaming for a month just to catch up on the handful of decent new shows. Lately even that timetable is too optimistic... I could probably watch an entire year's worth of their decent shows in one month.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Katherine Langford sings "I could be your king," an original song for the Netflix series Cursed. All episodes of Cursed arrive July 17th, only on Netflix.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everything you need to know about Netflix's Cursed
The new telling of Arthurian legend lands on the streaming service on Friday, July 17.

By Ruth Kinane

It's (almost) time to find out what happens when the sword chooses a queen.

Cursed — Netflix's re-imagining of the Arthurian tale— is about to land on the streaming service and tells the story of Nimue (Katherine Langford), a young heroine with magical abilities on a quest to carry out her mother's dying wish — and also to just generally stay alive. On her bumpy journey, she meets up with a young mercenary named Arthur (sound familiar?) and together they search for Merlin (another familiar name!) to deliver an ancient sword.

So, Arthur, Merlin, and an ancient sword are all ringing bells, but what else do you need to know about Cursed before it drops on Friday, July 17? We've got you covered.

What's it about?

According to the Netflix logline, “Cursed is a re-imagining of the Arthurian legend, told through the eyes of Nimue, a teenage heroine with a mysterious gift who is destined to become the powerful (and tragic) Lady of the Lake. After her mother’s death, she finds an unexpected partner in Arthur, a young mercenary, in a quest to find Merlin and deliver an ancient sword. Over the course of her journey, Nimue will become a symbol of courage and rebellion against the terrifying Red Paladins, and their complicit King Uther.”

Where did this re-imagined story come from?

The creative minds of Frank Miller and Tom Wheeler, that's where! Miller, the creator of Dark Knight Returns and Sin City, illustrated a YA book (published in fall 2019 by Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing) reimagining the tale of the King Arthur legend from the point of view of 16-year-old Nimue, while Wheeler (Puss in Boots) stepped in to write the book. “I have always been entranced by the mythological Arthur story — and by Nimue, in particular,” Miller said in a statement at the time of the book's announcement. “It can be interpreted in any number of ways — from a delightful children’s story, as in The Sword in the Stone, to a terrifying interpretation like Excalibur. This tale represents an incredible opportunity and an exciting challenge for me as an illustrator, and I’m excited to collaborate on the story with Thomas Wheeler. I inherited a collection of antique children’s books from my mother, and I’ve always wanted to have a crack at it myself. This project is a dream come true.”

Wheeler added, “I am honored and humbled to be working with the living legend Frank Miller on Cursed. I cannot think of a writer-artist who has had a more formative impact on my growth as a storyteller. His characters, images, and dark worlds have haunted and delighted me since I was ten years old. To be a witness and accomplice to Frank’s first journey into the Arthurian mythos is the very definition of a dream come true. Together we hope to shake the foundations of this beloved mythology and in the process create a new hero for a new age.”

So, is it strictly for a YA audience?

Nope. There's plenty of intrigue, violence, and even some semi-nudity to keep older audiences engaged. If you're watching with kids or you're squeamish when it comes to blood, maybe be ready to shield their/your own eyes whenever that famous sword is unsheathed.

These characters sound familiar...

They should. If you haven't heard/seen/read some interpretation of King Arthur and Excalibur over the years then...What even brought you to this post?

Who's in it that I'd know?

Nimue is played by Langford, star of 13 Reasons Why and Love, Simon and Knives Out. Then there's Devon Terrell (Barry) as a rendition of the Arthur we've all come to know from the other interpretations of the tale. Gustaf Skarsgard (Vikings and yes, one of Stellan’s four actor children) stars as Merlin who in this retelling has lost his magic and needs the sword in order to restore his powers. Lily Newmark (Sex Education) plays Nimue's bestie Pym who's also a talented healer — important when there's a legendary sword in play. Sebastian Armesto (Broadchurch) is the Weeping Monk, a crusader who hunts the Fey (Nimue's people) for the Red Paladins. Matt Stokoe (Bodyguard) takes on the role of Nimue's childhood friend and potential love interest Gawain.

How many episodes are there and how long are they?

There are 10 hour-long episodes to fill up your quarantine-crazed weekend.

When does it premiere?

Friday, July 17 on Netflix.

https://ew.com/tv/everything-you-need-to-know-cursed-netflix/

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
'Cursed': TV Review

Netflix's Arthurian legend prequel features '13 Reasons Why' star Katherine Langford as the future Lady of the Lake.
With its legion of magic practitioners, forests full of mystical creatures and warrior clans battling for supremacy, Netflix's Cursed is the latest potential TV franchise sure to face Game of Thrones comparisons. But leaving aside whether or not it's the next Game of Thrones, is it even the next Witcher?

The drama, based upon the graphic novel by Frank Miller and TV showrunner Tom Wheeler, lacks the inspired fits of lunacy that made Witcher watchable. That is to say there's no nudity and nobody is transformed into an eel. It also, however, lacks the long stretches of utter amateurism that sometimes made Witcher unwatchable. It's an OK show with the raw materials to have been much better given just a bit more commitment to its premise.

Cursed is designed as a prequel to the familiar and oft-told saga of King Arthur — the next Game of Thrones before there was a Game of Thrones — introducing us to the sword-bestowing Lady of the Lake when she was still just a magically gifted Fay maiden named Nimue (Katherine Langford). Religious forces, led by Carden (Peter Mullan) and his red paladins, are going through the land wiping out supernatural beings, spurred by the mysterious and lethal Weeping Monk (Daniel Sharman). It all threatens the reign of King Uther Pendragon (Sebastian Armesto), whose position of power has been jeopardized since court magician Merlin (Gustaf Skarsgard) stopped being able to do magic.

Tragedy forces Nimue to go on the run, lugging the bulky Sword of the First King with her. It will eventually become hugely important, as will her new traveling companion, a hunky mercenary named Arthur (Devon Terrell).

Yes, that Merlin. Yes, that Arthur. Actually, yes that Nimue, if your readings of Arthurian lore goes back to medieval roots.

The set-up here is for a Mists of Avalon-style full-fledged revision of Arthurian legend, but despite each male character being duller than the one before, their insecurities are given disproportionate time in a show that, by rights, probably doesn't need them at all. This is also, it should be noted, in keeping with most conventional versions of the Arthurian legend, driven primarily by men making dumb decisions determined by their genitals. Here, Nimue at least gets to call the men on their macho BS.

The need to tie it all in to the Arthurian legend and its familiar characters feels desperate and generally speaks to a lack of confidence in the story that's actually being told. Over these 10 episodes, there are at least five scenes in which a character introduced with one name either voluntarily or under duress reveals their actual identity as somebody from the Arthurian A-list, and each time it happens is goofier than the time before. That Nimue never just comes out and says, "Henceforth, you can call me the Lady of the Lake!" is the only minuscule piece of restraint. But what this does is give the strong impression that Nimue's story is only important in terms of how it connects to a male-driven narrative you already know, rather than having its own beginning-middle-end importance.

There are writers on the production team, people like Rachel Shukert (The Baby-Sitters Club) and Leila Gerstein (The Handmaid's Tale), who I somehow assume were trying to keep Nimue's story at the forefront — and others who I fear were more like, "Let's drop another Easter egg for the Arthur fanboys." I wish the first group had been more frequently victorious or maybe just that this version of Arthur — bland but pretty — and several other key familiar characters were better. Only Merlin, played with typically off-kilter strangeness by Vikings veteran Skarsgard, is compelling from the "Sword and the Stone's Greatest Hits" version of the story.

And Langford, so talented she made Netflix's 13 Reasons Why watchable for a season, is easily able to carry this drama, making me annoyed any time a man took away her sword, literally or figuratively. She makes Nimue vulnerable and uncertain, but fills the character with growing determination as things progress. If she doesn't always look instantly confident swinging the mammoth, glowing sword, that's completely in keeping with the girl-on-the-cusp-of-womanhood side of things — a use of female adolescence as metaphor that works much better than the times Cursed thinks that it's a critique of religious fundamentalism, an arc that badly underserves the reliable Mullan.

Religious hypocrisies are better captured as Nimue briefly finds herself in a nunnery, where she encounters a solidly passionate Shalom Brune-Franklin as future ally Sister Igraine and a delightfully frightful Emily Coates as future nemesis Sister Iris. When I think of the screen time wasted on a limp Nimue/Arthur flirtation instead of these characters or the great Polly Walker as the kingdom's Queen Mum, it makes me sad. That's without even getting to probably my favorite character in the series, Nimue's awkward and hilarious friend Pym, played by a scene-stealing Lily Newmark in one of those great supporting performances that leaves no moment, with or without dialogue, wasted.

The lapses in focus cause Cursed to waver in pacing as well. Certain episodes rush ahead with big action set-pieces — CG blood flows freely, a reminder of Frank Miller's pedigree — clever one-liners and hints of real emotion and then other episodes feel like they're long stretches of characters leaning against walls waiting for stuff to happen. The same inconsistency is visible in the production values: We go back and forth between stunning location-shot exteriors and shoddy sound-stages, where one character might look like they spent hours in a makeup chair in the hands of a careful artisan and the next like they fell face-first into a bowl of oatmeal. Was the budget cut or just questionably distributed?

I never was able to fully give myself over to Cursed, but I never really got bored and I think there's a better show laying in wait for a second season. More Pym, please!

Stars: Katherine Langford, Devon Terrell, Gustaf Skarsgård, Daniel Sharman, Sebastian Armesto, Matt Stokoe, Lily Newmark, Shalom Brune-Franklin, Emily Coates, Billy Jenkins, Bella Dayne, Peter Mullan

Created By: Tom Wheeler & Frank Miller

Premieres Friday, July 17 on Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/cursed-review-1303518

1 - 20 of 33 Posts