Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm considering putting some curtains in my HT but I have an issue. Since the screen is a little too big to accommodate the curtains on the side, they will have to fold vertically.

I was wondering if anyone had any resource I can consult to realize that installation?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The best route I know of is with a BTX vertical lift system. They supply a motorized remote control mechanism that your local drapery fabricator uses to construct a motorized Austrian curtain or Roman shade. It is the type thing the orginal Cinemascope theaters used to enhance the feeling of width.

It's costly though. The motorized mechanism alone, 8' wide with IR remote control, will run about $1200 retail. Then you have to have the fabric and construction. I think you're looking at a $2000 project, but that's just a guess.

If it is something of interest, contact BTX for the name of a dealer in your area. Or, look for a BTX distributor under window coverings, wholesale in the yellow pages. Ask them for a recommendation of someone who has the workroom capable of doing something like this.

Here's a link to the BTX page on this device.

http://www.btxinc.com/pages/romnshad.htm

Deane

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I might add that if you wanted regular curtains, BTX can make a rod that stacks onto the side wall. In other words, it turns at a right angle. Turning curve is about 14", so you'd need something like 18", or a little less, on each side of the screen.

These are not cheap either, think in terms of $1200+ for the remote control rod alone.

Some really neat things can be done with BTX, but it's not a discount house type brand. It's made well and made to work under heavy use for a long time. This drives the cost up.

Deane

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
If you're looking for another source (price compare), Silent Gliss is another good choice. (What am I saying! I'm a Makita distributor. Wash my mouth with soap.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is exactly what I was looking for!!!! Thanks!

I like the idea of the right angle rod, unortunatly, the configuration of the side wall and the stupid mistake of having bought an oversized screen is making this impossible! I guess I've learn my lesson! :-(

I will see if their product could fit in my HT. Let's hope so!

Thanks again for your input! One more time very valuable!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much room do you have on each side of the screen? Maybe we can help figure out something a little more precise for you other than these general suggestions.

Deane

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Deane Johnson
Out of curiosity, how much room do you have on each side of the screen? Maybe we can help figure out something a little more precise for you other than these general suggestions.
I have the same problem and I too am looking for a vertical solution. The space between the frame for my screen and the sides is 3 1/2" on both sides.

I started to see if I could build my own; I have an old Black&Decker power screwdriver that I took apart and I think could be used. It is DC powered and with a power supply and a couple of relays I think I can drive it remotely. I thought about mounting the curtain on a fixed rod and then tying thin fishing line to the bottom of the curtain and having the fishing line roll up on a second rod that is connected to to motor mechanism. I just haven't come up with a decent way of mounting the motor/gear assembly. I think a black 'hobby box' from RS would probably work.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The drill motor seems like an interesting idea. If one is handy enough mechanically, something like this might work. Why not have the fabric roll up on a top rod like a roller shade and simply have the bottom weighted with perhaps a brass rod running through it? Perhaps you could direct couple the top roller to the drill motor somehow. That's how I coupled my masking system to DrapeBoss motors (discontinued).

http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html

The only thing I might suggest on this type system is that flat fabric hanging down in front of the screen isn't going to be very exciting, but would certainly be better than nothing.

If you had access to someone who sews, you could consider an Austrian or Roman shade approach, only using your drill motor and a rod at the top to roll the strings up on. If you look at the BTX rod, that's all it is, but it has little drums to roll the cord up on so that it stays in alignment. All of this stuff is mounted on a 1x4 which then mounted to the ceiling.

Both of these shades use a series of cords running down from the top through small rings sewn on the back side. The cord is fastened at the bottom and the fabric folds on the Roman and bunches on the Austrian as it comes up. A brass rod is used at the bottom for the cord to fasten to and to provide weight. You would need to find a store of some sort with one of these made up to look at the construction technique.

Whatever approach you might consider, be sure you include limit switches so that your system doesn't overrun and rip itself apart.

Deane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.