AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my strong resistance to curtains around the front projection screen, it is looking like that may be the best, most aesthetically pleasing option (I still have not given up on glass, but want some alternatives so that I can compare).

So, in the interests of figuring out how it would look, can people recommend where I can look for material for curtains or a good place to buy? I will need the curtains in black. I assume velvet makes the most sense. Is there a difference in quality that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Tons of places have fabric as well as ready-made curtains.

Fabric:

Any Home fabric store - National chains include JoAnn fabrics and Hancock Fabrics. Both also have online stores.

Look in your phone book for local upholstery fabric shops. In my town we have Boone, Midas, and Printer's Alley. They all carry curtain fabrics.

Then there's always eBay - but I like to look at what I'm buying first.

Ready-mades:

JC Penney and Sears carry different curtains, and yes, even velvet. They also do custom work.

Velvet types:

I don't recommend as a rule using dressmaker's velvet (for clothing, not curtains) unless you know what you are working with.

Stretch velvet (dressmaker's) is a definite no-no. (It'll stretch on it's own weight)

Cotton velvet is not as shiny as an acetate as a rule. This works really well and would be my first choice. It is also lightweight as a rule.

The Man-made velvet(i.e. acetates, etc.) would be my second choice if it isn't too shiny.

You want a good weight - not too light, but not too heavy. If the curtain is too heavy and you try to use a motorized rod with it, it may not work well under the strain. If it is too light, it won't hang or drape well.

Remember, there is a nap on velvet - what may be "shiny" in one direction may be "flat" looking in the other direction. Turn it both ways to see which way it looks best.

Some people even use a faux Ultrasuede fabric. Cheap, not shiny, and lightweight.

Hope this gives you some information to get you started and doesn't confuse you too much! Good luck!

Pam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.