AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this player since Meijers had it on sale a few months ago. It has been a pretty good player once I updated the firmware. I was reading about the Momitsu and thought I would try the remote hack for region select, since the players seem to be an awful lot alike. Lo and behold...just a few button presses later and I now have a region B BD player! I don't have any region B Blu-Rays, but I did select region B and tried to play a region A and it would not, stating it was the wrong region code. Not bad for a $100 player.

To change regions just follow the directions for the Momitsu and the Sherwood 5003.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey,

I'm about to buy the 130 from target. I am hoping to get an answer from a owner before I do.

My main feature that I need from a BDP is internal volume control that can control the player itself.

Q: Does it have that control?

Q: What is the level? ie. 1-20db

Also..

Q: It has 5.1 analog output. Right?

Thanx in advance for your help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some advice from those with the 130 - I bought the Region of Spinal Tap, but it doesn't play. It stays in some kind of continuous load, but nothing comes up. I was wondering if anyone had this movie and if they had the same issue with it. Also, has anyone updated the Curtis firmware with the Momitsu 899 firmware? If so, do you recommend it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The two main obstacles with burning the firmware update is:

1. Making sure the file structure is correct. It should be:

In the cd root directory, there should be one file (product_software_update.dat) and a directory (images). In the "images" directory, there should be four files (cfe-1.33.17-7440-ref5-v10-384mb-le.bin,

MTC_DRM_00000003.bin, squashfs-7440c0.iso, and vmlinuz-2612-3.1-v10r15_338_1_2_001)

These five files & one directory need to be copied to a CD-R/RW in the structure mentioned above (Root dir = 1 file & 1 dir, dir=4 files).

2. Making sure to finalize the disc before ejecting. In some instances, this is referred to as "completing the session".

Hope this helps,

ThraedusP

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies /forum/post/17588633

Also, has anyone updated the Curtis firmware with the Momitsu 899 firmware? If so, do you recommend it?

Yes, it works great -- AVCHD discs play in fact with the Momitsu firmware that don't under the CM firmware.

The only downside is the CM remote is not compatible after flashing outside of the power button. You'd need to customize a Logitech Harmony (or buy a Momitsu remote) to get all that working.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sooooo. It really does'nt work

If you have to do more then what is necessary. Then the Momitsu firmware upgrade does not really work.

Just do the CM disc request thing.

(Just saying).

ps. What is a AVCHD discs?

Never mind. It's a camcorder thing.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
AVCHD is more than a "camcorder thing" -- if you make your own Blu Ray discs you need AVCHD capability to play them back. The Momitsu firmware has that function, the CM firmware doesn't. The Momitsu firmware also bitstreams DTS Master Audio, which I'm not sure the CM firmware does (maybe it does in the upgrade, but I don't believe it did when I tried it).

The remote is an issue, yes, but a lot of people today have universal remotes like the Harmony and it's not very difficult at all to configure it for the Momitsu player.

So yes, it does work. The benefits for AVCHD and DTS Master in addition to whatever upgrades it has make it worthwhile, provided the remote isn't a problem, but I understand if it is.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks all - I actually just requested the firmware disc and they're sending it today. I'm hoping htis will fix the Spinal Tap issue. My backup will be the Momitsu update. I just want to give the Curtis firmware a shot first. It's only the one disc, everything else plays just fine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts