AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 1/4 plywood bendy enough to make curved cabinet sides from without going through the hassle of steaming or making cuts?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
you could soak it in water for a while then it does become flexible. depends on how small your radius is. a friend did this for a skateboard half-pipe twenty years ago, but that has a pretty large radius.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You can avoid all the hassle by buying a sheet of bendable plywood. It's about $40.00 for a 4x8 sheet.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
didn't even know it existed! I know about bendable MDF, but didn't know about plywood. Thanks for the tip; now to find it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You can rip cuts in the surface, which may help it bend. I've never tried it though.

If I where going to DIY a curved wall, I'd pay someone some CNC time though. Build up a really thick wall and just let the CNC chew it down into shape.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Try Home Depot

·
Registered
31 Posts
1/4" & 1/2" ply will bend, depending on the radius of curvature. Even though its plywood it does bend better with the grain.

If you want it to keep the radius of curvature on its own, you have to glue another pice of ply behind it. the more layers the better. Glue with a roller, shoot pins through then remove pins after it dries. Route the ends.

A lot depends on the finish, Paint, stain, laminate (formica)

The "bendable plywood" wiggle board/snake ply will bend more. Keep in mind the grain is made to bend one way, you can buy it with the grain to bend 4' or 8'.

I build scenery for television. Here are pics of a FOX news set.

The silver column on the left is a sharp curve, i used wiggle board.

The blue headers on the floor was made with 1/4" plywood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
or you could do like this guy-

thats a whole lot of jigsawing. i'm glad he used a CNC machine, though. the whole project seems a little outrageous to be doing it that way with such small thicknesses. i could see if it was to be something odd like 1.25" all around.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I made a few years ago some subs... instead of sonotubes I used bendable 3/8 ply..

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats cool. Gonna check Home depot today, but I don't remember ever seeing bendable plywood there; and I've been in the wood dept numerous times.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It's tricky spotting it...cause it looks like any other 3/8 sheet lying flat..you have to get close and observe it... and read the tag.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero /forum/post/14171034

thats cool. Gonna check Home depot today, but I don't remember ever seeing bendable plywood there; and I've been in the wood dept numerous times.

Thats a lumberyard item around here. doubt very highly depot is going to have it. We used to use it for arched openings. It had to be skimcoated before painting, just to let you know.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This was way more work then it needed to be. Could have made a laminate from bendable ply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1818 /forum/post/14169843

or you could do like this guy-

thats a whole lot of jigsawing. i'm glad he used a CNC machine, though. the whole project seems a little outrageous to be doing it that way with such small thicknesses. i could see if it was to be something odd like 1.25" all around.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawdad /forum/post/14175265

This was way more work then it needed to be. Could have made a laminate from bendable ply.

Agreed! That has more piece's then a Butcher Block

FWIW, Home Depot doesn't sell wiggle board in NYC, Like stated above its a lumber yard product. Maybe your local HD has it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I bought mine at HD..in Montreal... I didn't know they don't carry it in N.Y.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think its up to the store. I find more to choose from in the Long Island or New Jersey Home Depots.

SOUTHDOWN/OLD CASTLE play-sand is Safe for reef tanks. Its $4.19 for a 5lb bag in HD

I have to buy it in NJ no NY HD near me carry's it.

A pet store charges around $40 for the same sand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts