AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
post on the wrong forum at first. so I am in the process to build the front stage, here comes a stupid question, I like 2.35:1 setup and I am planing to purchase a Panasonic AE-3000, I heard I do not need a curved screen for this project, is that right?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
If you are buying the Panny and planning to use the "zoom" method - then you need neither of these things.

The zoom method is just what it sounds like. If a standard 2.35 film has black bars and you have zoom range left, you zoom in to 1.25, and the black bars get pushed off the screen and onto the black flocking and/or screenwall. This cuts brightness and increases pixel size. The Panny has a motorized zoom with memory that allows you to do this at the push of a button (or two).

If you don't want the image degradation of the zoom, you may want the lense. When you put a lense into the light stream it distorts the image by the desired amount. Your pj or scaler will need to have stretch mode to comply with this difference, and you get your desired image without zooming and sacrificing brightness. However, the magnification of the lens may introduce chromatic aborations, including barrel distortion - a curved screen, measured to your space, can cure this distortion.

Read the FAQ:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=554901

1 - 4 of 4 Posts