AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Maybe a few of you can enlighten me. I have placed my order for a Vutec silverstar 3d-p screen, the Vutec passive screen will need to be curved about 40 degrees as that's the only way it comes.

I was planning to add a Panny ae7000 when it releases, the projector will be all they way back at around 26-27'. The reason it's so far back is the ultra high gain for this screen.

Now, without going A-lens, will I have issues such as pin cushioning, sound reflection etc.

Room is 27x20x8.5

Screen 138" 2.35:1

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lee /forum/post/20855153

Hi all,

Maybe a few of you can enlighten me. I have placed my order for a Vutec silverstar 3d-p screen, the Vutec passive screen will need to be curved about 40 degrees as that's the only way it comes.

I was planning to add a Panny ae7000 when it releases, the projector will be all they way back at around 26-27'. The reason it's so far back is the ultra high gain for this screen.

Now, without going A-lens, will I have issues such as pin cushioning, sound reflection etc.

Room is 27x20x8.5

Screen 138" 2.35:1

Thanks

Tom

Is is for a 3D system?

Why does it 'have' to be curved?

The rule is simply - no A-Lens, no curve. If you do, you get barreling.

If the screen is not AT, yes you could get sound reflections as well.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Vutec's passive 3d screen is curved, only way it comes.

Just wanted to future proof the screen in case passive wins over active.

I will cancel my order and go back to a flat screen.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wouldn't you need a special lens in order to keep the focus correct at the edges when you use a curved screen? It would seem that the focus would be out at the edges compared to the center

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/20857860

There are other reasons for a curved screen and a reason theirs is only avail curved.

CAVX's rule is his own, incorrect. Speak to Vutec, they will help.

How do you not get barrel effect if using a curved screen with a projector that does not have an A-lens?

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,751 Posts
You do get some barrel with a curved screen and no lens. The amount depends on the installation details. My point was that there are are other reasons to use a curved screen, particularly for the screen being discussed. I have a curved screen and the reason for it had maybe 10% to do with pincushion correction. Again, I'll leave it to Vutec to explain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.