AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually have a good setup since 2 years . A fixed screen 92 " and panasonic 4000 projector. I'm not tired to watch it. But like a lot of man, I want more
Now, I think to go with the new pana 7000 and why not with a curved screen. Any recommandation, experience, not to do this because ...

Actually, I'm suprise the market doesn't go with curved screen. It's the theater standard.

I see in store a curved screen with the pana 4000, without any special stuff added.

Anyway, I like to listen you about this

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
You can't put a rectangular image on a curved screen, you need to use a lens in front of the projector to do it right. Put up a grid on the curved screen and you'll see the distortion easily. Once you know what you are looking at you'll see the distortion in regular viewing material. With an anamorphic lens (depending on lens) the curved screen can often fix the pin cushion effect of the lens. But the Panny won't have this effect. If you were to use the Panny with a curved screen keep it as far as possible from the screen to minimize the effect.

The higher end projectors the screen curve is matched to the appropriate lens. Also curved screens are not good for audio unless like the theater they are an acoustically transparent (AT) screen with the speaker placed behind them. I think curved screens are great especially with 2.35:1 but not as good on the pocketbook and without a good set up can cause more tradeoff then its worth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments. It's good to know and to start well.

But I like to understand this sentence more "curved screen can often fix the pin cushion". For sure, you realize I'm french (Quebec), so I need more explication.

So, with this panny 4000, I will need to buy a anamorphic lens and I will not have pin cushion effect. Is that right ? For good lens, is it arround one thousand

For the sound, again, I will try to explain what I think. Some time ago, I buy some good sound system, 5.1 and big subwoofer. But now, my standard goes down with 3 kids, the sound is less my preoccupation. So, I probably can live with this. I even sell my subwoofer some month ago. I can't put it on anyway.

Thanks again

But again, I'm surprise company don't make projector with software correction for this. I can imagine you enter distance, screen size and the software make it virtually.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
There are many distortion to lenses in general, here is a starter with some examples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(optics )

The CRT monitors and projectors had compensation for these distortions but not as common with digital displays. Although digital compensation could never be perfect as pixels themselves are distorted it can be done very well. When buying a lens you need to research the various types, some are made to go with a flat screen and others curved. They design the shape of the lens to help reduce these distortions.

Even though the Panny is a poor man's 2.35:1 with its memory for the zoom lens you do lose some resolution as you are only using part of the 1080P chip. An anamorphic lens is preferred because then you gain the full resolution of the chip because the picture is stretched vertically and then you slide a lens in front of it to bring it to the 2.35 aspect ratio so the full resolution is achieved. The other gain you get by using a lens is more light output because you are using the full 1080P chip and none of the areas of the are off creating the black bars you would have if you weren't using the zoom.

I'm not sure of many lenses near $1k but companies that make lenses are:

Primasonic

Panamorph

Schneider Optics

The disadvantage to a lens is cost. If you are doing a curved screen make sure you get a lens designed for it and have the arc of the curved screen match. Check with the screen manufacturers of curved screens and lens manufacturers for their recommendation on which lens/ screen to get for your projector and throw distance.

For sound without an AT screen if using a curved screen there will be audio tradeoffs. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thanks again. I hope I'm not abuse with my questions.

About this "An anamorphic lens is preferred because then you gain the full resolution". I understand that the ship in the projector and lens are made for 16:9. When using 2:35 resolution, it manage it but don't use all the pixel. This I can understand and visualize it. But again, another questions raise.

If I buy an anamorphic lens in front of the projector, Should I have 2 anamorphics, one for 16:9 and another for 2.35. If yes, I will buy the one for 2.35. Almost all movies is 2.35 now. My kind of watching.

And about this "You will get audio reflection off a solid curved screen. The sound will echo back at you. I wouldn't go curved unless you plan on scope.". To be honest, I don't understand. I cannot see the difference between flat and curved screen. I mean, with regular watching. Like I said before, my standard goes down with 3 kids.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
If budget is a concern, forget the curved screen and anamorphic lens. This will save you a lot of money. If you have the space, then get a 2.35 AT screen. This will allow you to place your speakers at the correct height behind the screen. Then use the Panny's lens memory system (LMS) for 2.35. The Panny's LMS zooms the image to fill the 2.35 screen and when watching 1.78 material (16:9) it will be shown in the center of the screen with gray bars on each side. This is called zoom method for CIH (constant image height). If you have any questions or need any help email me.

Added

The Panny 7000 is a good choice for this type of set up because of the LMS.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickfx /forum/post/20849055

OK, thanks again. I hope I'm not abuse with my questions.

About this "An anamorphic lens is preferred because then you gain the full resolution". I understand that the ship in the projector and lens are made for 16:9. When using 2:35 resolution, it manage it but don't use all the pixel. This I can understand and visualize it. But again, another questions raise.

If I buy an anamorphic lens in front of the projector, Should I have 2 anamorphics, one for 16:9 and another for 2.35. If yes, I will buy the one for 2.35. Almost all movies is 2.35 now. My kind of watching.

And about this "You will get audio reflection off a solid curved screen. The sound will echo back at you. I wouldn't go curved unless you plan on scope.". To be honest, I don't understand. I cannot see the difference between flat and curved screen. I mean, with regular watching. Like I said before, my standard goes down with 3 kids.

Based on what you've said, I don't think a curved screen is right for you. Like what has been stated above, a curved screen is really only beneficial if: 1) it is scope sized (2.35:1 or greater), and 2) you're using an anamorphic lens to horizontally expand the image (letting the proj do the vertical stretch, and 3) you're leaving the lens in place even for HD (16:9) material (and shifting the proj AR from HD (16:9) to NTSC (1.78:1) for HD images. The a-lens w/the curved screen reduces and ideally eliminates any pincushion or other distortion. Not sure about the acoustic characteristics, but if you go to this subforum (2.35:1 CIH chat) there are those there that can address that aspect of a curved screen.

Not sure what aspect ratio your current screen is (HD or scope). But if 16:9, consider going to a flat fixed scope screen (2.35 or greater), maybe AT, and using the projector's zoom functionality to get you to a scope image. Not as exotic as an a-lens, but cheaper and quite acceptable visually depending on the screen wall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Steve,

like I said in the beginning, I actually have a pannasonic PT-AE4000 with a Grandview fixed screen 16:9 (92") and very very happy with it. BUT, I'm also a theater movie fans. I always said to myself, WOW! The curved screen in theater look and are actually more intrusive for watching moving.

Do you agree to said a curved screen should be more intrusive for eyes and feeling. It's seem that the prize to have this little gizmo is expensive but valuable.

OK, I will think to another project

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100
If budget is a concern, forget the curved screen and anamorphic lens. This will save you a lot of money. If you have the space, then get a 2.35 AT screen. This will allow you to place your speakers at the correct height behind the screen. Then use the Panny's lens memory system (LMS) for 2.35. The Panny's LMS zooms the image to fill the 2.35 screen and when watching 1.78 material (16:9) it will be shown in the center of the screen with gray bars on each side. This is called zoom method for CIH (constant image height)...
Agreed. More bang for the buck. I do think that a curved screen would seem to add to one's immersion into the film. The classic example of that is Cinerama, the first gen 3 proj version. But for a smaller room, I think you can enhance the viewing experience in more economic ways. I have a 115" fixed flat 2.35 AT screen. I don't think a curved screen would add enough to justify the additional $$.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, compromise to upgrade. I will forget the curved screen. But buy a new 2.35 AT (perfored screen) with new speaker in wall. And not to forget, I will sell my 4000 to buy the new 7000 from panasonic.

Good, thanks all for your help, I appreciate your opinion and franchise.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickfx /forum/post/20860876

OK, compromise to upgrade. I will forget the curved screen. But buy a new 2.35 AT (perfored screen) with new speaker in wall...

I think you'll be quite happy with that setup. I would like to recommend that you look at woven fabric AT screen material instead of perf material. Perf screen materials typically require you to adjust the equalization of the amp output to compensate for the loss incurred at higher frequencies. My own personal favorite (shameless plug) is the Seymour Center Stage XD fabric, available either as DIY or finished product (fixed, motorized, curved). Other woven fabric materials are available though in addition to the XD. But read up on the acoustic characteristics of AT screen materials before you commit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.