AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I am building my home theater and I am going with a Sony G70. My dilemma is that I don't know whether to go with a flat 106' DA-LITE or a curved Tauras screen for better gains with no hot spotting. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
conner65,

Welcome to the forum! I do not own a torus type screen but my understanding is that they are the ultimate in gain and hot spot reduction. With flat screens these are the side effects specifically seen when increasing gain. A 106" wide screen is large for a CRT type PJ( even a 9") Torus screens are very expensive or, if home made, more involved but some on the forum have done it. If you increase gain to get the larger screen then color shifting, hot spotting , and reduction in off axis viewing angle are the expectations. I use a 107" wide 1.8 gain and I'm happy with it but the true video perfectionist would say I've sacrificed some image quality for more light to the viewing position.

Art

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Conner65 is new to this and this forum, so let me explain what he is considering.

He will have a G-70 and run a screen that will be 92 x 52.

He is wrestling with whether to have a Torus or just put up a flat screen.

He came by my place today and saw a Torus (3.1 gain pearl Vutec) in action (albeit the projector still wasn't set up to perfection yet).

He has seen a Dalite with a G-70 (same size) 1.3 gain.

What do ya'll think??

So far I am pretty impressed with the Torus, it is definately bright and has a ton of contrast. I think it will stay.

Anyone come up with any "masking" ideas for a Torus??

Terry

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Art,

Actually my torus screen is a DIY and my initial impressions are it is very bright and has lot's of contrast. It's 106 x 60 3.1 gain VuTec pearl material. I'm not in love with the material as it has a shiny slick finish and isn't as non tranparent as I would have liked. MikeS warned me about this as this is the material he used and said backing on the material would help. Unfortunately VuTec doesn't offer backing. My budget at the time couldn't handle Stewart material which would have been my first choice.

All in all, I am very pleased. Bright and sharp with great contrast were my goals. I'm still setting up the CRT and did some more work on them this morning. It's coming in nicely.

Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.