AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a w500 and overall am very impressed definately when watching movies but when watching HDTV sports on it the yard marker lines or end lines seem curved to the naked eye. They aren't straight as they should be.

I have messed with all the projector settings that I could think of but haven't been able to make the lines look straight when watchig sports.

Any ideas?

Is it a setting?

Do I have a bad projector?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
My friends RPTV is the same. I think it's inherent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I not sure what RPTV stands for but assuming some kind of projector?

One thing I forgot to mention is the lines seem fine towards the top the screen then start curving at the middle and towards the bottom. so it looks something a "J".

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
What are you using for a screen?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A DIY Drywall screen painted with Sherman Williams Grey Screen paint.

Are they more susceptible to it?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
If the wall is not all in the same plane then you will get some curvature. Take three blocks of wood (all of them the same thickness) and a string and check your wall. Using three people hold a block at each end of the screen and pull a string tight from block to block. Then use the third block as a gauge along the string to see if the wall dips and humps. Check across bottom, across middle and across top. Also check on the diagonals. You should also place a level on your wall (several locations) and see if it is leaning. Another problem could be the projector is not shooting perpendicular to the screen combined with some wall variance.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If the drywall is not perfectly smooth, or level you can indeed get bowing. This would be the first thing to look at.

As for the RPTV (rear projection TV) comment. The bowing there would most likely be a problem with CRT convergence.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Almost always a screen issue on this one.

I have some waves in my manual pull down that causes it.

Time for a real fixed screen for me soon. Not before uper Bowl 2008 though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wall and the drywall are level as far as I can tell. I guess the easiest thing would be to borrow another projector and see if I still had the problem correct?

I wonder if any store would loan one? Or would I have to find someone else who has purchased one?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parson33 /forum/post/12971084

The wall and the drywall are level as far as I can tell. I guess the easiest thing would be to borrow another projector and see if I still had the problem correct?

I wonder if any store would loan one? Or would I have to find someone else who has purchased one?

I am willing to bet that the wall is not flat and level. None of them are perfectly flat and level. It just comes down to the degree of error.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure if this is the problem, but a football field has a crown to it. Any camera angle not straight on from the side will show the lines as slightly curved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
have you tried running the test pattern under advance setup, if its your pj you should see where it curves on that pattern. I doubt your wall would be that way off to notice something like that I ran mine on a plain wall with chuncks of plaster all over they never sanded and it wouldn't bow the image just look dull in those areas.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewa51 /forum/post/12973155

Not sure if this is the problem, but a football field has a crown to it. Any camera angle not straight on from the side will show the lines as slightly curved.

I'll second this. I've noticed this with my HD72 as well and wondered why I was getting a bit of a "fish eye" look to the lines on the field. However, after noticing it on the HD72 I started looking closer and noticed I can see the same thing on my 27" CRT, it's just not as obvious as the screen is smaller and the top and sides are curved making it harder to notice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I notice this on some games also. I figure it must be the way the camera "sees" the lines. I am using an Epson 400 with an Elite Vmax 101" screen and I am sure its not the screen!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts