AVS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
That's cool, but what happens during aspect ratio changing films - does it cycle aspect ratios ? :eek:

This is where I would like to see players do a better job. I only ever want to see scope. I don’t give a rip what the filmmakers want. Kodi should be able to crop to the middle 800 pixels on a 1080 frame and shift them to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,851 Posts
This is where I would like to see players do a better job. I only ever want to see scope. I don’t give a rip what the filmmakers want. Kodi should be able to crop to the middle 800 pixels on a 1080 frame and shift them to the top.

JVC's have " mask " which can just cut off the black bar area, or if you use an anamorphic lens on a scope screen, that will stop the change on the screen too.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If anyone is interested in the software, it requires having Kodi launch an external player and to have zoom player installed. I then intercept that, do my stuff, and then launch zoom player. The scripts are written in autoit and would need to be modified by the person using it. (My script does a lot of other stuff like tell my projector to go into cinema 2 for HDR, or kick the receiver into the correct input etc).
I just got my projector and I will be needing to automate some of its features depending on source. I knew I would need some programming and I hadn't got around to figuring out what to use. I haven't used autoit in years but when I did I loved it. Glad to hear it is useful in this. You saved me some brain work. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is awesome. You mention this is connected to Kodi, is this on an HTPC, or a Kodi client device in the theater, connected to a server? Any idea if it's possible/what it would require to make your software talk to a Plex server/client setup?
I run plex. Just install plex for kodi and use plex within kodi. In fact my Kodi install has no library at all and just auto loads the plex plugin so in that sense it's really just plex.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I run plex. Just install plex for kodi and use plex within kodi. In fact my Kodi install has no library at all and just auto loads the plex plugin so in that sense it's really just plex.

But does it need to be run on an HTPC, or can this all happen in my situation where I have a PLEX server in the closet and a Shield and AppleTV in the theater for accessing the server?

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
But does it need to be run on an HTPC, or can this all happen in my situation where I have a PLEX server in the closet and a Shield and AppleTV in the theater for accessing the server?

This is all HTPC driven. AppleTV is a closed platform you'd have to jailbreak to do anything interesting and then write your own software. Shield is similar but needs to be side loaded probably can be done with no rooting but you'd still have to write software - and a lot more since the infrastructure doesn't exist to do most the stuff we are doing.

Reactions: thrillcat

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If anyone is interested in the software, it requires having Kodi launch an external player and to have zoom player installed. I then intercept that, do my stuff, and then launch zoom player. The scripts are written in autoit and would need to be modified by the person using it. (My script does a lot of other stuff like tell my projector to go into cinema 2 for HDR, or kick the receiver into the correct input etc).
Can you please share your scripts?

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Can you please share your scripts?
My scripts are pretty well divided into different parts that run for different things. Do you have kodi already setup to call an external player upon launch? You're looking to do the masking portion based on detected aspect ratios? Are you familiar with autoit and development?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at ways to mask my Cinemascope screen sides and these actuators or something similar looks like a good solution.

I read all the thread but you didn't really say anything about how you control the stop position, how accurate and how repeatable it is. I see the actuator you used has an optional potentiometer position feedback, did you use this? I think I'd rather have an encoder or at least a counter than a pot but I'm still researching.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi, I'm looking at ways to mask my Cinemascope screen sides and these actuators or something similar looks like a good solution.

I read all the thread but you didn't really say anything about how you control the stop position, how accurate and how repeatable it is. I see the actuator you used has an optional potentiometer position feedback, did you use this? I think I'd rather have an encoder or at least a counter than a pot but I'm still researching.
I control the stop positions using my software. It varies on where it stops based on how much masking is needed since I support 4-5 different aspect ratios. My software starts the masking for a set time for each position and then cuts it off. For example, to do 2.35:1 is always 19.5 seconds.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I control the stop positions using my software. It varies on where it stops based on how much masking is needed since I support 4-5 different aspect ratios. My software starts the masking for a set time for each position and then cuts it off. For example, to do 2.35:1 is always 19.5 seconds.
So a timed run of the motors, now I see why you were wanting to run both motors at exactly the same speed. I guess if the motors run quite slowly it could be accurate, have you found this to work well or does it need adjusting often or over time?

I'm planning for 2.35:1,2:1, Academy (whatever ratio that is) and 16:9, I don't think there's much point in trying to mask for 4:3 as that would need a much longer actuator and the mask probably wouldn't fit retracted unless I do something far more complicated that I'm currently planning.

What ratio's do you support?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You check out my electronic masking that I completed a few months ago with linear actuators. The control box handles 3 programmed positions plus you can manually adjust for odd ratios. If you use 2 actuators the control box will sync them both perfectly. Mine is spot on every time after initial setup of both masking panels.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So a timed run of the motors, now I see why you were wanting to run both motors at exactly the same speed. I guess if the motors run quite slowly it could be accurate, have you found this to work well or does it need adjusting often or over time?

I'm planning for 2.35:1,2:1, Academy (whatever ratio that is) and 16:9, I don't think there's much point in trying to mask for 4:3 as that would need a much longer actuator and the mask probably wouldn't fit retracted unless I do something far more complicated that I'm currently planning.

What ratio's do you support?
I support 2.35:1, 2.2:1 and 2.0:1 currently as well as 16:9 which is no masking. I currently don't have any potentiometer and both actuators run at exactly the same pace now. I think I had one of the actuators slightly angled originally so as the mask moved up it started putting pressure on the system. Now it's perfectly level on both sides so it moves at exactly the same speed. Once it's all set up its no fuss and never needs to be readjusted.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this thread. Nice setup, @markmon1 .

-T

21 - 36 of 36 Posts