AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I'll try anyway. I'm building a new house and am having a custom cabinet built for a Sony 51", speakers, equip., etc.

1- If I make the dimensions to house the tv larger so that I could get a larger tv down the road, what's the best way to cover the extra space between the cabinet and tv (i want the tv to be framed in the cabinet)?

2- My Sony has a toekick and I want a false front to frame the screen. I know I could remove the grille to the tv but a toekick still exists and there are holes that are open to behind the screen. I prefer not to get dust inside. What I my options?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
You don't want to make the enclosure airtight. Things get too hot. If dust is a worry. Put an air intake at the bottom of the cabinet. It can be on the side or have a grille covering it. The intake area can have a filter behind it. Put another opening at the top with a fan exhaust.

A wood bezel can be created to cover the front of the TV and leave an opening large enough to accomodate a future larger set. The stiles, rails, and panels of the bezel can be designed to look attractive for the present and redesigned and rebuilt to contain a future screen. The major parts of the cabinet would be unchanged and only a new bezel would be needed for a new TV. See my gallery for an entertainment center with a removable bezel.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Clone1-

While Pat's recommendation to cover all but the screen does net a clean look, you must ask yourself "Self, how much larger of an RPTV would I want, or would the upgrade even be an RPTV?"

A customer of mine just got the brand new Mits 73" RPTV, That sucker is huge! To the tune of about 500lbs and very deep as well. His remodel incorporated a recess in a wall so as to not sacrifice so much floor space in the room.

The second part of the question, is critical, think how much your are spending on housing a RPTV, when a future upgrade may very well be a front projection system or even a plasma. If you are considering upgrading in only a few (couple?) years is it economical to spend the money on custom cabinets they may or may not be adaptable to future (needs?).

I have personally done retrofits, for built-in cabinets that were not designed for future needs...A) It's a pain in the ass (cutting and fitting) B) It's expensive to the customer and C) It's having to work with what you've got (compromises) to net a decent look.

Sorry to sound a bit negative - but I get far less calls for RPTV cabinets these days and I try to recognize what the future trends are to be.

Good Luck,

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clone1
Bruce,

What would you suggest instead?
It would help to know more detail of your individual circumstances, ie. layout of the room etc. But I will throw a couple options your way in the mean time-

-If the design you seek calls for custom cabinets (woodwork etc). you might consider free standing furniture. Where it would be built in a modular fashion to accomodate expansion. Side cabinets for electronics or display items and a bridge for over the RPTV. And the design of the side cabinets could be such that they would work on there own (w/o a TV).

-If the design you seek calls for a built-in look, then maybe consider a secondary false wall with sheetrock, studs & paint to house your elements. It may make future upgrades (of a yet undetermined variety) easier to incorporate, since it would be cheeper to just cut away parts and re-paint.

Any idea as to what you perceive as your short list of upgrades?

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruce,

My upgrades would be either a larger RPTV or plasma. The wall is 14ft. long and I would like to go with woodwork. We have a freestanding unit right now, but we do not like it. I do know I want everything hidden. I have Sonance RS-1's for my surrounds (in ceiling) and the hidden aspect is very important to me. I have designed the built-ins and they go like this:

-Middle section with cabinet space above the tv for the center,etc. The cavity for the tv is larger to accomdate future.

- Left and right cabinets to house slide-out Middle Atlantic racks, DVD storage and Front/Left speakers.

- Bookcases would flank these with one bookcases lower cabinet housing a front-firing sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.