AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to construct new RGBHV cables. Good ones! Belden RG-6 was recomended and I am sure that is the way to go. How about connectors, part numbers, and where to get all of these goodies at a reasonable price. I'm always open to other suggestions as well.

John

·
Registered
251 Posts
John,

There are quite a few sites out there that talk about cable construction, and no doubt a number of posts in this forum. I won't get involved in the religious wars about good and bad cables, but there are some key points to think about:

* Do you want an all-in-one cable bundle with colour-keyed sub-cables, or is 5 parallel runs of anonymous black good enough? If you need the single bundle, perhaps you should consider 5-in-1 cables which can be had from the leading vendors (Canare, Belden, Mogami, etc).

* Make sure you use 75-ohm connectors, not 50-ohm. If you end up with 50-ohm terminated cable you'll get horrible reflections (i.e. ghosting) even if it's lovely cable.

* Make sure you have properly-sized crimping dice.

* RG-6 is very satisfactory, but you should be careful as RG-6 is simply a specification level. There are a number of variations. I would suggest that you avoid steel-core RG-6 and make sure the centre conductor is either pure copper or silver-plated copper, and a number of people have said that quad-shield RG-6 is the perferred way to go. (I have noted that most easily-found quad-shield RG-6 is indeed steel-cored, so as I said, be careful.)

Hope this helps.

- David Eddy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks for the information. Especially the part about the RG-6 and the core specs. After giving this some thought as far as costs are concerned is it really that cost effective to construct rather than purchase?

·
Registered
437 Posts
The quad shield is much better for eliminating stray electrical noise pickup (at the expense of flexibility). I highly recommend it. My local Home Depot sells it for $.19 per foot, but make sure you get the quad shield (it should say it along the wire in hard-to-read lettering on the plastic). They also had 100 ft Quad shield rolls, but it didn't look as good externally. Not sure why, but the cost was about the same.

I also recommend not using any more connectors or adaptors than is absolutely necessary. Every adaptor (e.g. BNC to F) or connector has the potential for an impedance mismatch and thus more ghosting/noise. A good quality connection is also very important. If crimping connectors (solder or crimping are my personal choices), get a high qualtiy crimping tool. It will save your hand as well as getting a better crimp. For soldering, use a good soldering iron and make sure you have no cold joints.

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the crimping tools and I will need a full 100 ft roll of the wire. I think I'll stop by the Home Depot and see what they have on the roll. I'm not sure what the Shack has. Yes, all connectors will definatley be soldered. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin,

This just keeps getting better and better. Can you quote me a price for a 30' run with BNC connectors?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the DYI cable info. Unfortunatley you really need to be making lots of cables for this to pay off. Right now it wouldn't be cost effective for me. For the cost of the tools alone I can get the cable I need. If this rabbit hole continues to get deeper I may really need those tools and a bigger bank account.

·
Registered
594 Posts
John,

I could make a 30' cable just like that one for 125.00.

Compare that to 265.00 at bettercables for a 26' cable of very similar quality.

Kevin C. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.