AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are custom calibration setting for Panasonic's new ST60 plasma line. I am newly registered(been visiting site for a while) here on avsforum and thought I could provide some useful calibration settings for the newly released ST60. Don't forget to run break in slides if you want to take full advantage of calibration. Or just watch your TV normally for a 100 hours or so before applying.

Here we GO..... 50ST60 calibration

First off: Leave all the color detail adjustment set to zero.

Post Calibration Picture Settings

Picture Mode Custom

Contrast 90

Brightness +1

Color 41

Tint -2

Sharpness 15

Color Temp Warm2

Vivid Color Off

CATS Off

Video NR Off

MPEG NR Off

Motion Smoother Off

Advanced Settings

Panel Brightness Mid

AGC 0

Black Extension 5

Color Gamut Native

Game Mode Off

24p Direct n/a

3:2 Pulldownn/a

1080 Pixel Direct Off

HDMI Content Type Auto

HDMI/DVI RGB Range Standard (16-235)

Black Level Light

Screen Settings

Screen Format Full

Overscan Off

H Size Size 1

HDMI Black Level Low

W/B Adjustment

W/B High Red -4

W/B High Green 0

W/B High Blue 9

W/B Low Red 6

W/B Low Green 0

W/B Low Blue -3

More Detail Adjustment

IRE Red Green Blue

10 -50 0 50

20 -2 0 26

30 0 0 3

40 7 0 -8

50 10 0 -9

60 5 0 -8

70 6 0 -3

80 -3 -2 0

90 5 3 -6

100 20 2 -6

Gamma 2.4 (Target 2.2)

IRE Gain

10 -45

20 -22

30 -7

40 -8

50 -3

60 -4

70 -3

80 1

90 -1

Here are the results of this calibraion:

Measured Contrast (with OTC1000)

100 IRE(Y) 49.359

0 IRE (Y) 0.008

Ratio (x:1) 6169.8750

Pre Calibration Grayscale - Total Gamma = 1.81

Post Calibraion Grayscale - Total Gamma = 2.24

Hope everyone enjoy's these calibration settings. Still looking forward to D-nice' settings.

RGB Balance- all three on line graph sitting at right around 100 (post calibration) Lines look nice and tight. Pre cal lines never even touched on the line graph they were not even close to one another.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What meter did you use? Black level of 0.008 ftL -- an i1 D2? From your terminology, I assume that you used the HCFR software.

In any case, would you attach the calibration report.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23166646

What meter did you use? Black level of 0.008 ftL -- an i1 D2? From your terminology, I assume that you used the HCFR software.

In any case, would you attach the calibration report.

Thanks,

Larry

I'm not sure which meter. This is an certifed ISF calibration done by a professional calibrator who has over 10 years experience calibrating TV's. I don't own any calibration equipment. I wish I did though.

I don't have a report to attach. I tried to put in graph images when I did the post but it did not work out.

Is HCFR the best available software for calibrating. Isn't there a calibration disk offered through this website, I think avs709 regarding DIY calibration? I thought I remember seeing it a year ago. Have you tried it out if so?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thanks for the settings. Plasma TV Buying Guide has their st60 review up, along with their calibration settings. Comparing your settings with theirs, they are almost identical. It will be interesting to see how the D-Nice settings compare. If 3 independent calibrations yield virtually identical settings then it bodes well or amateurs like myself to be able to plug in these settings and get good results.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172673

Thanks for the settings. Plasma TV Buying Guide has their st60 review up, along with their calibration settings. Comparing your settings with theirs, they are almost identical. It will be interesting to see how the D-Nice settings compare. If 3 independent calibrations yield virtually identical settings then it bodes well or amateurs like myself to be able to plug in these settings and get good results.

The reason they look identical is because they were done by the same person. Zero chance these were 2 separate calibrations

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172248

I'm not sure which meter. This is an certifed ISF calibration done by a professional calibrator who has over 10 years experience calibrating TV's. I don't own any calibration equipment. I wish I did though.

I don't have a report to attach. I tried to put in graph images when I did the post but it did not work out.

Is HCFR the best available software for calibrating. Isn't there a calibration disk offered through this website, I think avs709 regarding DIY calibration? I thought I remember seeing it a year ago. Have you tried it out if so?

There are a number of free calibration disks available for download over in the Display Calibration forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406352/gcd-gamut-calibration-disk
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445226/chad-bs-custom-test-patterns

HCFR is a free software program. I assumed that your report (charts and graphs) were from that program since it is the only one that still uses the old analog IRE terminology.

The reason that I assumed an i1 D2 meter was used is because the black level of 0.008 ftL seems high even if an ANSI contrast ratio was measured. The i1 D2 has a lower limit capability of about 0.005 ftL which is much higher than the initial measurements of about 0.002 ftL or so taken with newer and much more expensive meters.

What type of problem are you having with attaching the images to your post? Maybe we can help you out.

Never mind. I found the settings at the site that pwiss noted. Forget everything I said about the calibration report. I'll wait until I see some results from the known and trusted calibrators here at AVS.

Larry

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172248

Something is odd about your calibration, no offense. First, as Larry mentioned, since the term "IRE" was used, I'm assuming HCFR was used. It's a free calibration software that ISF/THX certified calibrators don't use. It's not bad by any means, it's just that most ISF/THX certified calibrators use the pay software like CalMAN or Chromapure.

Secondly, the unit measurement wasn't included for the luminance readings. Most people in North America use foot lamberts (or fL / ftL) and people overseas usually use candelas per squared meter (or cd/m2). 1 foot lambert is ~3.426 cd/m2. 49.359 for 100% white would indicate that the units are in foot lamberts because 49cd/m2 would be very dim, but that would mean that your black level measurement seems higher than what an ST60 should measure. 0.008cd/m2 for black is close to what an ST60 should measure, but that would again mean that your white measurement is really low. A possibility could be that the units are in foot lamberts and your 100% white measurement is very low because your calibrator used full-field patterns to calibrate your display, but that's unlikely because any pro calibrator should know not to use full-field patterns on a plasma display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172673

I highly doubt that D-Nice's settings will be even close. That doesn't necessarily mean that the panel variances are high panel to panel, but there are other factors that will cause settings to be different, such as meter accuracy, the patterns used and the quality of the calibration etc.

edit: ditto to Larry's edit above.

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172717

The reason they look identical is because they were done by the same person. Zero chance these were 2 separate calibrations

How is it that the OP's calibrated settings are exactly identical to the calibrated settings on plasma tv buying guide? Every single number matches. So who copied who's settings? Or is the OP affiliated with that advertising site?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23174226

How is it that the OP's calibrated settings are exactly identical to the calibrated settings on plasma tv buying guide? Every single number matches. So who copied who's settings? Or is the OP affiliated with that advertising site?

Must be affiliated. I looked at Plasma TV Buying Guide's settings for the ST50 when they came out and they were laughable. Brightness at 71, Sharpness at 32, Motion Smoother at medium and a post calibration Gamma at 1.82. Needless to say they looked awful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

This calibration is what I used on my ST60. This is in fact the same calibration from ******************* guide. All of their calibrations are done by ISF certified calibrators so I do trust them. Just let your eyes be the judge. I think they look great.

I'm not sure what other calibrators here on this site (like d-nice) use for equipment but I wouldn't be surprised if their somewhat similar.

Some may want to keep motion smoother set to weak as opposed to off. If you own this tv just go for it and try this calibration. You don't stand to break anything! There should be no cause for concern! The person who did get this calibration I believe teaches people how to calibrate TV's for a living. He has been doing this for over 10 yrs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble getting a solid black level with HCFR and my Spyder4 Pro... most of the time it just reads 0.000 at 0% grayscale. The gamma seems to be very easy to control, and the grayscale is easily adjustable (although some values are a bit inconsistent perhaps due to the low panel hours), but the colors are difficult for an amateur like me to get right without a full RGB adjustment for each primary and secondary.

With brightness +0, contrast 72, panel brightness low, sharpness 0, color temp Warm2, base gamma 2.4, and all the silly black extension and AGC off, I obtained the following by adjusting the gamma and grayscale for each IRE level. No other tweaks were made. Haven't adjusted colors yet.

Average gamma 2.22, contrast ratio unknown (due to inability to read fL for 0% grayscale).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23174226

I'm not sure who OP is but I own this tv and used their calibrations for my ST60. All I did was copy them and post them here for others who own this tv to use. They helped my set look a lot better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoner  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172946

Was the ire gain 100 setting left blank on purpose?
Just leave it at 0.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss  /t/1466823/custom-calibration-settings-for-tc-pst60-here-you-guys-go#post_23172717

You are right identical probably would not happen with different TV's but they most likely will be very close. Using identical equipment of course.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts