AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My display projector doesn't show all the signals. It has 2 display modes: "Computer" and "Video GBR". If I set my display to Computer and set the resolution to 1280x720. 3/4ths of my screen gets filled up. However, if I set it to 1366 x 788 (that's resolution ProjectorCentral lists for my projector), then only 1/2 the screen gets filled.

If I set it to "Video GBR" mode, my 1280x720 resolution overscans. I need to underscan to view the complete display.

There is also a "APA" (Auto Pixel Alignment) which I haven't tried yet. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

First I'm not sure about the resolution that Projector Central lists (I think even Sony website used to show that before). Is the 1366x788 my projector resolution?

What should I actually do to get a 1:1 pixel mapping (I tried PowerStrip etc, nothing worked).

Following are the specs from the manual:

Acceptable Video Signals:

15kHz RGB/component 50/60 Hz,

progressive comp 50/60 Hz,

DTV (480/60i, 575/50i, 480/60p, 575/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1080/60i, 1080/50i), 1080/24PsF,

Composite Video, Y/C video

Acceptable Computer signals:

fH: 19 to 72 kHz

fV: 48 to 92 Hz

Maximum resolution XGA 1024x768, fV: 85Hz

1280x768, fV: 60Hz

I've attached an image that shows the preset signals in the manual.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You need to use Powerstrip and "Computer" mode for the DVI port. You'll also likely have to delete the "plug and play" monitor in device manager and use a custom .INF file that you can create in Powerstrip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE
You need to use Powerstrip and "Computer" mode for the DVI port. You'll also likely have to delete the "plug and play" monitor in device manager and use a custom .INF file that you can create in Powerstrip.
Thanks. What resolutions should I input in PowerStrip based on the preset settings images I attached?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are 2 lines in the preset memory settings:

1280x768 with a Hsize of 1664

and

1280x720 with a Hsize of 1664

they both have different fH & fV values

Should I use these? If so is 1664 my Horizontal resolution?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
If you're trying to get 720p as the resolution, you shouldn't need Powerstrip, the latest drivers for both ATI and Nvidia support this directly, I believe. As you noted, there is considerable overscan and you use the "videoGBR" mode. There are tools (at least with nVidia, can't speak for ATI) to adjust the overscan.

If you're trying to get native 1368x768, then you can use the timings from the HS10 FAQ: http://www.stevenhightower.net/hs10/.../hs10-faq.html . These should also work with the HS20.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JDLive. I looked at the website and I needed help deciphering what value belongs to what timing parameter:

Here are the timing params: 1366x768=1366,65,142,207,768,1,3,21,79046,39

Also, the resolution for this HS20 is advertised as: 1386x788. However, I couldn't find that mentioned in the manual. Is that a goofup on Sony's front?

Also, I did figure out hard-way that VideoGBR should be the mode I should use on my projector. Computer mode gets me to only 1024x768.

Quote:
If you're trying to get 720p as the resolution, you shouldn't need Powerstrip, the latest drivers for both ATI and Nvidia support this directly, I believe. As you noted, there is considerable overscan and you use the "videoGBR" mode. There are tools (at least with nVidia, can't speak for ATI) to adjust the overscan.

If you're trying to get native 1368x768, then you can use the timings from the HS10 FAQ: http://www.stevenhightower.net/hs10/.../hs10-faq.html . These should also work with the HS20.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5a5l3m
Thanks JDLive. I looked at the website and I needed help deciphering what value belongs to what timing parameter:

Here are the timing params: 1366x768=1366,65,142,207,768,1,3,21,79046,39
In the custom timings window for Powerstrip, there is a button where you can paste the settings from the clipboard, so just highlight the line from the FAQ, copy them into the clipboard, then use the "paste timings" button, it's in the lower right hand of the window. That will put the right timing in the right spot.

Quote:
Also, the resolution for this HS20 is advertised as: 1386x788. However, I couldn't find that mentioned in the manual. Is that a goofup on Sony's front?
I think that's just a typo. The panel is actually 1388x788, but you can only use 1368x768. I think it's because the drivers have to have a resolution divisible by 8, so 1366 is incorrect.

Quote:
Also, I did figure out hard-way that VideoGBR should be the mode I should use on my projector. Computer mode gets me to only 1024x768.
You can't use 1368x768 over videoGBR, that only works with standard HDTV resolutions like 720p, 1080i. For 1368x678, i.e 1:1 pixel mapping, you have to use computer mode.

Just as an FYI, I used to run 1368x768, but switched to 720p because I got tired of the minor judders from the 56Hz refresh you get with the 1368x768. Took some time to figure out how to fix the overscan, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
You can't use 1368x768 over videoGBR, that only works with standard HDTV resolutions like 720p, 1080i. For 1368x678, i.e 1:1 pixel mapping, you have to use computer mode.

Just as an FYI, I used to run 1368x768, but switched to 720p because I got tired of the minor judders from the 56Hz refresh you get with the 1368x768. Took some time to figure out how to fix the overscan, but it's worth it.
So you are saying you switched to 720p in VideoGBR mode? In that you mean you are using 1280x720 over VideoGBR? The nVidia forceware allows me to use other video resolutions like 1368x768...

The problem with 1:1 pixel mapping is that my Sony EDID has only 1024x768 resolution only, so whatever resolution I pick on my vid card, it shows up in 1024x768 space only (if I pan left/right, I can move to the hidden part of the screen)...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:
My display projector doesn't show all the signals. It has 2 display modes: "Computer" and "Video GBR". If I set my display to Computer and set the resolution to 1280x720. 3/4ths of my screen gets filled up. However, if I set it to 1366 x 788 (that's resolution ProjectorCentral lists for my projector), then only 1/2 the screen gets filled.

If I set it to "Video GBR" mode, my 1280x720 resolution overscans. I need to underscan to view the complete display.

There is also a "APA" (Auto Pixel Alignment) which I haven't tried yet. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

First I'm not sure about the resolution that Projector Central lists (I think even Sony website used to show that before). Is the 1366x788 my projector resolution?

What should I actually do to get a 1:1 pixel mapping (I tried PowerStrip etc, nothing worked).

Following are the specs from the manual:
Well, I've been using my VPL HS20 with a 6800GT for about a year now. Since the NVidia released updated firmware (about 6mo. ago) there is no need for powerstip any longer (and in fact it never worked well with the HS20 for reasons I won't go into now because it's a moot issue). What you need to do is make sure your NVidia firmware is up to date. I'm assuming you're using DVI so set it to VideoGBR in the projector menu.

Ok, now connect the video card to the projector via the DVI (HDMI works also) cable.

1) Right-click the deskop and go to properties...

2) Settings tab

3) click on the "Advanced" tab in that window

4) Choose the GeForce 6800GT tab (in your case it will be 6600GT)

5) Click on the "Device settings" tab in that window

6) Choose "Treat Digital display as HDTV

7) The resolution you'll be using for your HS20 (to correct for overscan) is 1177x662 and that's what using the "overscan" setting in the firmware will set the resolution too.

You can use the 1177x662 for computer games, DVD playback and any other task using your computer. Though some games don't support the custom resolution properly.

I can confirm it works with:

Doom6

Halflife2

World of Warcraft

Battlefield2

Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas)

For DVD playback I'm using FFDSHOW, TheaterTek2.0 and the NVidia codecs. Looks absolutely fabulous.

Good luck and forget that crappy PowerStrip!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:
The problem with 1:1 pixel mapping is that my Sony EDID has only 1024x768 resolution only, so whatever resolution I pick on my vid card, it shows up in 1024x768 space only (if I pan left/right, I can move to the hidden part of the screen)...
Yeah, been there done that... forget it... the Sony bastards have a bad EDID but the problem has been addressed in the NVidia firmware... imagine what it was like before NVidia finally fixed it! Sony... bah humbug! There was another way around the bad EDID before NVidia graciously fixed it - namely to use the NVidia keystone settings. Tweaking that worked very well but had some less desireable side effects. Don't worry, be happy, NVidia added overscan compensation settings to their video driver software.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnn1265
Yeah, been there done that... forget it... the Sony bastards have a bad EDID but the problem has been addressed in the NVidia firmware... imagine what it was like before NVidia finally fixed it! Sony... bah humbug! There was another way around the bad EDID before NVidia graciously fixed it - namely to use the NVidia keystone settings. Tweaking that worked very well but had some less desireable side effects. Don't worry, be happy, NVidia added overscan compensation settings to their video driver software.

Enjoy :)
Thanks MNN,

So we can never do 1:1 pixel mapping on the Sony.

There were articles on how to get around EDID problem...like deleting the existing PlugNPlay monitor and adding a new one generated by powerstrip. I did all that but nothing worked. My monitor info doesn't get changed in nVidia Forceware.

So "VideoGBR" only huh :-(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. Some progress. I made a change to the monitor driver file (that was created by Powerstrip), I changed the resolution to 1280x768 and loaded that as the driver for my plugNplay monitor. And it worked, the resolution read 1280x768 on the Projector. Atleast it is better than 1024... It covers larger area than the 1024..however there is about 1/8th of my screen area that needs to be filled up...

Now the trick is to get the correct mapping so I can fill up the screen completely...

My biggest question here is the native resolution. I called the Sony support and they mentioned that the native resolution is 1280x768. However, the screen doesn't get fully occupied...

So, what is the native resolution for this one? I think I tried the 1366x768 before and it didn't work.... So, any input is appreciated...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
1177x662 fills the entire screen perfectly... no overscan and no underscan. I suggest you use it - it looks fantastic. Why do you not want to use it? I'm not aware of a reliable way to get better resolution (one-to-one mapping) and not have over/underscan with the HS20/NVidia card.

By the way the "computer" setting in the projector menu for "DVI signal sel" setting does work just fine (I wasn't able to correct for over/underscan using that setting though). I havn't played with that setting much as the current VideoGRB works great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While I was talking to the Sony rep, he mentioned that I might loose some clarity if in the "VideoGBR" mode... He suggested I use "Computer" mode...

that's where the struggle is....to find the resolution that enables me to fill it completely...

Oh the other thing, I chose 1366x768 and my projector said that the frequency was out of bounds.... I tried changing the H & V frequencies (different values) but same complaint all the time... Should I change the other timer values?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Quote:
So you are saying you switched to 720p in VideoGBR mode? In that you mean you are using 1280x720 over VideoGBR? The nVidia forceware allows me to use other video resolutions like 1368x768...

Yes, I use 720p. That allows 60Hz which is much smoother, especially for video based material.

I think the Forceware will allow 1368x768, but the HS10/20 will not support that @ 60Hz, and not in "videoGBR" mode.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:
While I was talking to the Sony rep, he mentioned that I might loose some clarity if in the "VideoGBR" mode... He suggested I use "Computer" mode...

that's where the struggle is....to find the resolution that enables me to fill it completely...

Oh the other thing, I chose 1366x768 and my projector said that the frequency was out of bounds.... I tried changing the H & V frequencies (different values) but same complaint all the time... Should I change the other timer values?
My monitor settings in the NVidia driver is set to 60Hz (driver shows it's supported anyway) and DVD based material is... well, spectacular. I have no issues whatsoever playing back DVD's with zero stuttering, artifacts or apparent loss in clarity. Though since i've never seen it working in full-glory using the "computer" setting for "DVI Sel." I suppose it perhaps could be even better? Using FFDSHOW I resize 2.5x (and then the picture is scaled back down of course to DVD resoltion) and that provides a great picture quality (Renderless setting in ThaterTek2.1.1 using VMR9).

I was unable to get the "computer" DVI select setting to work and had the same problems you are currently experiencing. I gave-up with that struggle because I was quite satisfied with the picture using the VideoGBR setup. If you have any luck with the "computer" setting though I'd like to hear about it so I could compare the quality myself and perhaps make the switch if there is a noticable difference in clarity and of course if the overscan/underscan problem can be addressed.

As a side note... I've successfully used the HDMI input from the HTPC (using a DVI---> HDMI cable) and had very good results as well. I'm not sure if you asked the Sony rep about the quality of picture clarity using that input but I'd be interested in that answer myself. I didn't notice any real difference myself but it's hard to tell since I can't see them side-by-side.

Edit: As I mentioned in the following post my refress rate is being reported by the projector as 50Hz and that does seem to cause problems with TV-Video material playback but not with feature movies.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I use 720p. That allows 60Hz which is much smoother, especially for video based material.

I think the Forceware will allow 1368x768, but the HS10/20 will not support that @ 60Hz, and not in "videoGBR" mode.
The NVidia video driver software (currently using ForceWare 77.72) now recognizes the "VPL-HS20" monitor under the "NVidia display" option in the forceware. Once in the properties for the "VPL-HS20" display under the "nView display settings" and "device settings" tab I've selected the "Treat Digital display as HDTV" and under "Select TV format" I'm using 720p HDTV. Under the "screen resolutions & refresh rates" settings I'm using 1177x662 and 60Hz.

In the projector menu under "Information" tab the "fH" is shown as 37.57 and the "fV" is shown as 50.04 Hz... so I'm assuming that the projector is actually using a 50HZ refresh rate? This is of course using the VideoGBR setting for DVI sel. Reading your comments I'm still a little confused:

Quote:
So, you used to run the 1368x768 at 56Hz but switched to 720p using the "VideoGBR" or the "Computer" setting in DVI sel? If you're using the "computer" setting I'm assuming you're still using powerstrip and 1280x720 and at 60Hz. What did you use to compensate for overscan then using 1280x720... timings in powerstrip? If that's the case do you find the picture to be noticeably better than using the "VideoGBR" setting with 1177x883 @ 50Hz?

Sorry for the confusion... it's one of those cases where I'm happy with the picture quality I've got now but of course ignorance is bliss... if I can significantly improve picture quality I may have to go back to powerstrip again and use the “computer†setting for DVI. The one problem I have noticed (likely as a result of using 50Hz refresh rate) is some choppyness playing back non-feature movie DVD material (such as TV shows). I'm assuming that's why you're going through the motions of using powerstrip - to achieve the 60Hz (which plays that type of material more smoothly)?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Well, I switched the DVI signal select over to "computer" and fired-up powerstrip and had no problem getting the 1280x720 resolution working (I can see compensating for that much underscan will be tricky in powerstrip though). However, the projector was still reporting the refresh rate at 50Hz... I'm assuming this information is incorrect as the refresh rates shoudn't be the same. Does ayone know how to determine the true refresh rate the project is displaying?

The playback on some of my TV-video sourced DVD's I tested still didn't look much better at 1280x720 so I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the refresh rate and how much might just be bad flags? Although it was a quick test and I didn't change settings in FFDSHOW.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnn1265
Well, I switched the DVI signal select over to "computer" and fired-up powerstrip and had no problem getting the 1280x720 resolution working (I can see compensating for that much underscan will be tricky in powerstrip though). However, the projector was still reporting the refresh rate at 50Hz... I'm assuming this information is incorrect as the refresh rates shoudn't be the same. Does ayone know how to determine the true refresh rate the project is displaying?

The playback on some of my TV-video sourced DVD's I tested still didn't look much better at 1280x720 so I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the refresh rate and how much might just be bad flags? Although it was a quick test and I didn't change settings in FFDSHOW.
Is your screen completely filled up? My screen gets about 80% filled under Computer mode.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.