Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATI Today posted a new developer utilty in the

General Development Resources/Tools section of it Developer Web site at

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource...el/devrel.html

This new utility called ModeMaker is at

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource...nmodemaker.zip

and allows for the creation of new (supported) display modes through a simple API. Similar to what PowerStrip recently added, this applet is different primarily in that it was developed by ATI and shows our commitment to offically supporting these kinds of activity.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Stephen:

___Thank you for still helping us along with the resolution utility. It is on its way now …

___Please don’t forget about us when we are looking for those magic overlay settings that stick without resetting and the ATI 4.x player that renders as nicely under Windows 2000 as it does under Windows Millennium and 98 SE.

___Thanks again

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hi Stephen,

Please get the guys to work on the 'lock aspect ratio' issue for non-anamorphic DVD's, and the DTS passthrough. These are the only two things keeping the ATI Player from becoming the DVD player of choice for all HTPC's.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Stephen, one question:

Using Powerstrip 3 I have been able to create interlaced resolutions such as 1920x1080i, 1706x920i (fullscreen DVD viewing with no overscan) and they work great for the DVD overlay & the desktop.

However, the interlaced resolutions do not work for 3D gaming, the screen loses sync. I know your area is multimedia, but is there a chance this can be fixed? Interlaced resolutions are needed for HDTV gaming because:

(1) Many games run their menus, movies, etc at different resolutions than the actual game itself. Example: Mech Warrior 4 runs their menus at 800x600. But on a HDTV this needs to be interlaced to use it. Currently with my Radeon 64MB VIVO/HDTV 1080i set I can't play games that use anything at 800x600.

(2) To play games at higher resolutions on a 540p/1080i HDTV (example: 1600x900) once again they need to be interlaced. Many 3D games using the Radeon 64 VIVO run better at higher resolutions than at 480p based resolutions.

Also, at many common widescreen resolutions such as 856x480, the Radeon will switch to a "virtual" scrolling desktop, even though the monitor driver clearly supports this resolution.

Thanks for your support. I was a die hard nv***a user for a long time but thanks to the outstanding DVD/multimedia features of the Radeon you have a new customer. Interlaced gaming support & DTS will complete my needs!

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va
http://www.geocities.com/wayneharrel...HTPC_Page.html

http://www.mp3.com/karnis

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
Hi Stephen,

Please get the guys to work on the 'lock aspect ratio' issue for non-anamorphic DVD's....

Vic, I have been able to get the ATi player to display non anamorphic DVDs in 16x9 mode using the zoom feature of DVD Genie. Check this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/008956.html

The last issue for the ATi player for me is DTS.

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In response to:

> However, the interlaced resolutions do not work for 3D gaming,

> the screen loses sync. I know your area is multimedia, but is

> there a chance this can be fixed? Interlaced resolutions are

> needed for HDTV gaming because:

I believe that because of the way D3D games do page flipping, they are not compatible with interlaced display modes, so when D3D games create their full screen surfaces they cannot be interlaced. This is a limitation (feature?) of D3D.

In response to:

> Please get the guys to work on the 'lock aspect ratio'

> issue for non-anamorphic DVD's, and the DTS passthrough.

> These are the only two things keeping the ATI Player

> from becoming the DVD player of choice for all HTPC's.

I think I made several promises that the next version of our SW would address this issue. It will. When will the next version come out? That I will not say on a public forum.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Stephen,

Thx again for the outstanding support!

------------------

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks! Mr. Orr

I love to have you here and make our needs come true.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As everyone who knows me knows.... I am no 3D software expert. It is possible that someone is "tricking" the system into creating an interlaced mode and claiming to the OS it is progressive in order to allow D3D access to it. This should however cause horrible visual tearing.

My reponse however was based on two things. 1) My knowledge of how page flipping works in both video and 3D, and 2) a (brief) discussion I had with a D3D driver developer in house.

As to why our audio is better than anyone else (assuming it is), I can't give away our secrets now can I?

Finally - as to Beta testing our next DVD effort. We (ATI Multimedia) know that you guys are willing victims. When the time comes I expect we will think of you!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Orr:
I think I made several promises that the next version of our SW would address this issue. It will. When will the next version come out? That I will not say on a public forum.

certainly understand that you can't preannounce details of an upcoming release. question is, there seem to be stability problems with some of us. i find that on w2k, 4.1 dvd locks the machine up. is there any chance of a .1 release to patch bugs you are finding prior to a whole new version?.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
In response to:

> However, the interlaced resolutions do not work for 3D gaming,

> the screen loses sync. I know your area is multimedia, but is

> there a chance this can be fixed? Interlaced resolutions are

> needed for HDTV gaming because:

I believe that because of the way D3D games do page flipping, they are not compatible with interlaced display modes, so when D3D games create their full screen surfaces they cannot be interlaced. This is a limitation (feature?) of D3D.

Stephen:

Thanks for your response. However, interlaced resolutions for 3D games worked perfectly on my previous Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS card. What I don't know is whether this was due to any "tricks" that Powerstrip 3 was able to do. But it worked for all D3D & openGL games. Any ideas? This would be the final piece of the puzzle for me. But, if it doesn't (or can't) work, so be it. I'm quite happy with the Radeon 64MB VIVO.

BTW, although I'm also patiently waiting for DTS, I would like to say that the ATi player, IMHO, produces the best DD 5.1 I've heard from ANY DVD player I've heard, SW or standalone. Any particular reason why this is?

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately, the nature of the shift from DVD 4.0/4.1 to DVD 5.0 is too significant to afford any "interim patches". In essence we are focusing on the next version in an effort to get it ready quicker than originally planned.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Stephen,

It is truly amazing that your Radeon card had completely won our hearts over. I know you are watching this forum closely and may not reply again until the next 5.0 is up, I thank you for listening and bringing out this product.

Today, I did a complete evaluation of the latest Windvd, Powerdvd and ATI 4.1, the ATI had a very luscious PQ that make it so fun watching my DVDs again.

Although I don't face freeze ups(I am using Win98SE), but there are a little bit of improvements that I would like to highlight:

1. Please make the shortcuts easier on the remote control. There are many people here that has very good learning remote controls like the Pronto.

A fine example is to have your engineers play with Powerdvd and understand why it is so user friendly.

2. Make the "hide controls" hidden at default when screen is maximised, because the shortcuts will easily take over and the slight movement of keys will pop out the "controls", rather annoying. Pressing F2 key will then hide it.

3. Make it sound the best amongst all.

4. Fix the temperamental gamma, brightness and contrast keys. Although the quick fix is adjust it and disable the video controls.

5. Allow digital zoom to fill up widescreen TV for P&S materials, prefer with one touch shortcut keys. Powerdvd has the best examples.

6. Please have more choices of fast forward and reverse speeds and on screen displayig it as well, and default to normal playback using the same key. Right now we have to use the Space Bar key to allow normal speed playback. That is 2 touch approach.

7. DTS,DTS,DTS, we want DTS! I knew you promised it, but we wanted it for sure.

and so on and so forth....

Thank you very much.

CH Yeow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, the nature of the shift from DVD 4.0/4.1 to DVD 5.0 is too significant to afford any "interim patches". In essence we are focusing on the next version in an effort to get it ready quicker than originally planned.
yesss nice to hear.

a further error in 4.0/.1 is the slow menu navigation. You can see it @ the german gladiator dvd (maybe in the rc1 too). I contaced the ati europeservice but the people there are #[email protected] http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

And the DVD stocks after the universal trailer this is not in the cinemaster 99 interface or the ati 3.2.0.1 player.

thank you stephen for your infos.

------------------

Greetings

strauch

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I guess I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents, too. I have two issues with the ATI Player that combine to make it a less-than user-friendly solution, and as a result I've switched back to WinDVD.

The first (and biggest) issue is that when in an interlaced resolution, the menu overlays in the DVD menus are still double-sized, even after refreshing the overlay timings. This makes menu navigation by keyboard (and therefore remote) pretty much impossible. I realize you guys may not 'officially' support interlaced resolutions, but I'd appreciate it if you could look into this since the interlaced resolutions are a real boon for those of us with 540p/1080i displays. 1704x960i gives me a really great picture with 0% overscan. I know the menu overlay issue is possible to fix, because PowerDVD doesn't have the same problem. WinDVD does, but I've found a workaround for it.

Which brings me to my second issue. I decided that as a workaround to the above, I could have the DVD Player start up at 960x540, and then once I've made my menu selections I can change to 1704x960i when the movie starts playing. Unforuntately, this doesn't work with the ATI Player, because the resolution change causes it to start playback from the beginning of the disc and go back into the menu. Since my goal is to make this system usable for my wife via Pronto/Girder, this is pretty much a deal killer. I'm now using WinDVD since it can survive the resolution change, but I hate to be missing out on the extra PQ of the ATI Player.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JKohn (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Selected responses....

1. Please make the shortcuts easier on the remote control. There are many people here that has very good learning remote controls like the Pronto.

A fine example is to have your engineers play with Powerdvd and understand why it is so user friendly.

> Check out the remote control mapper that we published to make this easy. Not every command is in there, but many are. It's on the ATI web site under "Developer". Also the exact URL was mentioned near the end of the ATI Guest forum.

2. Make the "hide controls" hidden at default when screen is maximised, because the shortcuts will easily take over and the slight movement of keys will pop out the "controls", rather annoying. Pressing F2 key will then hide it.

> Set "Autohide controls in full screen" after ~5 seconds of mouse inactivity the controls hide.

4. Fix the temperamental gamma, brightness and contrast keys. Although the quick fix is adjust it and disable the video controls.

> I'm missing something here. I was off the forum for a while. What is broken (in detail)... please send me mail on this forum.

Other questions I believe I have already answered (or have no plans to answer at this time) so I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Stephen,

You don't have your email address tied to your post (can't say I blame you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) so I will post the color controls issue here.

They seem to have a mind of their own. You can set the controls to your desired values, sit back & watch a DVD. However, the next time you open the player, the sliders may be in the same position but the values are obviously different and require re adjustment. Everyone, it seems, has this same problem. The actual values do not seem to stay locked in position once you close and reopen the player. Also, it seems to they are not independant of the overlay brighness controls either. I've found that if you adjust the black level in the ATi player, close, reopen the player and adjust (because they have changed) it also changes the brightness setting in the overlay brightness panel. Another issue is the gamma control. If you start to move the slider from left to right, it first gets darker for a few clicks and then the gamma increases, after 4 clicks. After the first point the gamma value rises, the same thing happens. Darker for a few clicks, then a gamma level increase. Personally, I disable the color controls in the setup menu thru the registry (hidevideopage=1) and simply adjust the brightness in the overlay panel & be done with it.

If we are doing something wrong in terms of procedure, please tell us. Thanks for your continued support!

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.