AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In considering my design for a powered woofer in my speaker design. How do you build a high level input like the ones you see on plate amplifiers that take the signal from the amp and use it for the subwoofer? Is it as simple as using a 100,000 ohm resistor on the amp ++ and treating the result as a line level signal for crossover and amplification?

·
Registered
636 Posts
In considering my design for a powered woofer in my speaker design. How do you build a high level input like the ones you see on plate amplifiers that take the signal from the amp and use it for the subwoofer? Is it as simple as using a 100,000 ohm resistor on the amp ++ and treating the result as a line level signal for crossover and amplification?
I am confused by your question. As it pertains to speakers, a high level signal is post amplification and typically transmitted via speaker wire. It sounds like you are trying to describe a low level signal, such as RCA or XLR. So if I am following, you are asking how to convert a low level signal into a high level signal that you hook up to a speaker and crossover?

That’s what an amplifier does.

A crossover can be implemented pre-amplifier (low level) or post-amplifier (high level). Typically low level crossovers are digital, active crossovers either built into the amplifier or stand alone (mini DSP for example). Typical high level crossovers are built with passive components.

I’m not trying to be harsh here but you are trying to run before you walk. Between this question and the other you posted I think you are getting ahead of yourself. I would take a step back and think about diving into some practice by building a proven design. You can build your box, take measurements of the drivers, simulate a crossover, and try to match what the original designer accomplished.

-Trevor

·
Registered
201 Posts
Trevor. I think he asked how to turn speaker level to a low level
He wants to drive a sub or woofer in the speaker with its own plate amp and the mid / tweeter with the receiver, and only run the speaker wire to the speaker.
But I don’t think he understands how it works
Speakers that have a powered sub in them, use low level from the receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You need two resistors, you need a voltage divider. Ideally you can set the voltage divider to be equal to the inverse of the amplifiers gain so you can get back the original line level as best as you can.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Trevor. I think he asked how to turn speaker level to a low level
He wants to drive a sub or woofer in the speaker with its own plate amp and the mid / tweeter with the receiver, and only run the speaker wire to the speaker.
But I don’t think he understands how it works
Speakers that have a powered sub in them, use low level from the receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes more sense.

OP, If that’s the case, many subwoofer amps come with high level inputs. You can build an attenuation circuit if you want to do it yourself, I just built one for an impedance measuring rig that has 20dB of attenuation using 8k2 and 910 ohm resistors. I also built it with a voltage clamp with zener diodes to protect the input stage. If you look up the ARTA Measurement box that should get you started. Your purpose will not be for impedance measurements but the circuit will essentially be the same.

-Trevor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts