AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wanted to let you his know that as part of my antibordem campaign/new gear fund I will be making custom length to order shielded RCA cables (theoretically useable as component) out of acoustic audio cable and some nice good plated "monster" cable RCA connectors straight from China, or more costly neutrik brand. The acoustical cable is good, solid monoprice 8mm, no secrets here (copper shielded, 2 conductor, aluminum reinforcing strand it appears also). For rca purposes the inner wires are soldered together, as is the copper shield and 5 strands of aluminum reinforcing wire. Then the RCA connector is tinned and the connections soldered and given my tug of approval/test on the amp.

I can also make xlr connections.

These services are for people in Nooo rush as I Iive in Canada eh. If anything becomes of the service I will make sure I support the site :) this place is amazing and a serious part of my contiued rehab.

Cost for the RCA cables start at a fiver per cable plus a buck a foot, then whatever the heck shipping to your house should be (I'll use Canada Post cheapest option with tracking so brokerage to USA should be nothing).

I can solder up just about anything you want if you have other ideas for me.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Are those monoprice RCA plugs? I love the way your cables look, but I hate those monorpice RCA plugs. I've got two 12' RCA subwoofer cables from monoprice, which I don't use anymore due to the RCA plugs getting lose all the time. Those are probably the worse one I've ever use from monoprice. Including their banana plugs as well.

I would love to learn how to make my own RCA cables though. I'm not sure if you can give me a heads up on how to learn
. I need to buy a new soldering gun.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are not the monoprice plug ends :) these are some nicer looking ones I found on Ebay that come straight from the Chinese maker based on the packaging they arrived in at the post office :)

I am going to get some neutrik ends for the more discerning customer.

I'll post the exact link I was looking over that inspired me for you. I ended up greeting a new variable heat soldering iron from princess auto for 10 bucks with three tips.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are not the monoprice plug ends :) these are some nicer looking ones I found on Ebay that come straight from the Chinese maker based on the packaging they arrived in at the post office :)

I am going to get some neutrik ends for the more discerning customer.

I'll post the exact link I was looking over that inspired me for you. I ended up greeting a new variable heat soldering iron from princess auto for 10 bucks with three tips.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-Shielded-RCA-Interconnect-Cables/

Its easy but tedious and takes a few min to do a good job because the wires have to be stripped with a razor blade, not my stripping tool as the space is too small and nicked wires aren't good.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Thanks pokeme. I will look in to it. I need to move two of my amps, but I haven't done it since the RCA cables I've got aren't long enough. I'm not sure if I am going to sell them since they are nice cables Audioquest Sidewinder 1M long.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripple1  /t/1526510/custom-made-to-order-rca-and-xlr-interconnects#post_24746661

I'm curious... Can you make cables for headphones or LOD cables to go from DAP's to portable headphone amps?

If you aren't in an extreme rush I can likely make anything you want, would just have to order in the materials. It's not feasible to keep every combination of connector around if this is a fun on the side thing for me.

If you are partial to a certain brand of connector let me know :) audio is a pretty personal thing and it's no skin off my teeth to whip up what someone actually would like to use, even if i don't personally own an amp to test it in I would just use my multimeter to check the connections.

So if understand you correctly you are looking for 1/8" mini jack to the ipod/iphone connector? A seen here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/316475/howto-build-an-ultra-slim-lod-cable

I own no apple products so the terminology is a bit foreign.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yeah, that'd be perfect, but it can also be 1/8" to 1/8" right angled jacks. I'm actually a little partial to Amphenol/Oyaide connectors myself.

Can you also make headphone cables? Or cables that are short and flexible that can connect a schiit magni/modi amp/DAC like this

http://schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

And USB 2.0 cables for the Magni/Modi?

How about a short 1/8" female to RSA/ALO 4 pin balanced termination to use as an adapter?

Lol. I already see you can make RCA cables. Sorry for all the questions, but if you can make all this, I might need to commission some work from you. I'm in no rush for all of it. I still need to buy the Modi, but I have everything else (DAP, amp, portable amp, headphones).

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should all be possible, I just need to locate the specific connectors you want, but soldering is soldering to me unless you are looking at surface mount stuff :) if you see something online that tickles you pink feel free to post the link. It will also be good for anyone else looking to construct some.

I'll look more seriously at the parts needed tomorrow and on the weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts